ATTENTION ALL Viper Owners: PLEASE...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
PLEASE by SURE that you have TWO FULL sets of keys (TEST to be SURE that they work for YOUR Viper), and TWO fully functional key fobs (TEST to be SURE that they work for YOUR Viper)...AND, consider carrying YOUR spare key(s) and fob with you each time you go anywhere in your Viper. (and YES, I carry spare batteries for said fobs).

It is far easier to lock your keys in your trunk (all years of roadsters and convertibles), in the "hatch" area of coupes, or in the Viper's cockpit (Gen II, III, and IV) than most people realize. Many (or MOST) of us have been locked out at one time or another...so you might want to benefit from our mistakes rather than test the system yourself.

While there are some non-damaging "tricks" that can help in certain situations...there are some more troublesome "solutions" in other years and models...and that assumes that you can find someone who can/will help you.

If this sounds a bit like a lecture...it is...but it is offered in good faith solely to make YOUR Viper ownership more pleasurable and hassle free.

Plan ahead, be prepared!!!

(Moderators...is there any way we could make this a "sticky" in the Gen I & II and Gen III & IV sections??? Thanks!!)

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a sticky reminding us to not lock our keys in the car:dunno:, thats pretty lame...

I agree, Everyone should have TWO full sets, and keep an extra battery in the glovebox.
But why keep all your eggs in one basket?
I usually leave my extra fob at home so i dont have to risk locking Both sets in the viper.
On trips longer than a couple hours i keep the extra set on my passenger or in my wifes purse just in case.

Locking anything in my viper is not really an issue around town though as i tend to leave her unlocked with the windows down so when fans ask my about the viper i say; go ahead. hop in!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the numerous instances that as I load the washing machine I hear my key rattling against the fob still in my pants pocket (I assume they are not washing machine proof), I'm going to Level II on this one. Bought a 3rd fob (key too, why not?) for backup to the inevitable clanking noise I'll hear in the dryer some day.

Maybe I should put something else important on the Viper key rings. Bottle opener?

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a sticky reminding us to not lock our keys in the car:dunno:, thats pretty lame...

I agree, you wouldn't think we would have to remind people... but we have had a lot of threads lately on people loosing their keys.

Steve is our club Viper whisperer, he is pretty much right about everything, 7 Vipers in his garage,..? lost count... he knows his stuff and I follow his word religiously.

Soooo when Steve asked me to stick it...I did:lmao:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an "ATTENTION ALL Viper Owners"
this thread should be moved to:
General Viper Discussion

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Along a similar line, as was posted a while back, hide your keys at home to prevent a thief gaining entry to your home and taking the viper as well. Once in the garage, a simple push of a button and it's gone!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Great post Steve, and the issue is quite critical for Gen III and IV owners and not nearly as relevant for earlier models. That alone is why it does need a sticky and glad you brought it up. Having locked my key in the trunk of an 04, I have first hand experience at what a complete hassle it is compared to the Gen Is and IIs.

Thanks for always looking out for your fellow Snake Handlers!:headbang:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never locked keys in any of my cars. I've never pumped diesel into any gas cars either, but can we make that a sticky too? :)

Mamba55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI for all they sell key boxes and they have heavy magnets in them. so you can put the spare key in them and stick the box anywhere underneath the car or where ever you feel it won't be found. they are really strong and will not sake off at all for the magnet in the box is really strong.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post Steve, and the issue is quite critical for Gen III and IV owners and not nearly as relevant for earlier models. That alone is why it does need a sticky and glad you brought it up. Having locked my key in the trunk of an 04, I have first hand experience at what a complete hassle it is compared to the Gen Is and IIs.

Actually, if you are thinking ahead, the fix is very easy compared to RT and GTS owners.

And no I will not post it or divulge the info. Your friendly neighborhood Viper tech should/will know. :headbang:

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I agree, Everyone should have TWO full sets, and keep an extra battery in the glovebox.
But why keep all your eggs in one basket?
I usually leave my extra fob at home so i dont have to risk locking Both sets in the viper.
On trips longer than a couple hours i keep the extra set on my passenger or in my wifes purse just in case.

Locking anything in my viper is not really an issue around town though as i tend to leave her unlocked with the windows down so when fans ask my about the viper i say; go ahead. hop in!

I agree, you wouldn't think we would have to remind people... but we have had a lot of threads lately on people loosing their keys.

Steve is our club Viper whisperer, he is pretty much right about everything, 7 Vipers in his garage,..? lost count... he knows his stuff and I follow his word religiously.

Soooo when Steve asked me to stick it...I did:lmao:

YEAH ! WHAT THEY SAID !:2tu::headbang::2tu:

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the numerous instances that as I load the washing machine I hear my key rattling against the fob still in my pants pocket (I assume they are not washing machine proof), I'm going to Level II on this one. Bought a 3rd fob (key too, why not?) for backup to the inevitable clanking noise I'll hear in the dryer some day.

Maybe I should put something else important on the Viper key rings. Bottle opener?

Dave I thought you did have a bottle opener on the key ring? :dunno:

ViperVeryOrange

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm a newby here with a Gen IV and what's the big deal about this? I'm always careful about not locking my keys in a car or losing them, who wouldn't be???

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-> Confirm key location

-> Close door

***OR***

-> Confirm key location

-> Close trunk or hatch glass

Helping challenged people avoid inconveniences for decades!

Fail.
The owner confirms key location as "on driver seat" and then closes door/trunk/hatch.

(Robots with "vision" had a programming issue when trying to cross an intersection. The program asked if there were cars within 100 yards. If the answer was "yes" then the robot had to wait. There was a car parked at the intersection, so the robot never made it through.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4