ATTN: Bill Pemberton or Chuck Tator

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just had something on my mind I figured either of you could answer, seeing as you both have so many new Vipers comming through Woodhouse and Tators Dodge;

I have noticed a trend with the SRT cars at least, that when "new", they either have 3-7 miles on them when pulled off the truck, or 20-40 miles. Do either of you happen to know WHAT exactly goes on with the 20-40 miles cars before delivery? Are they random "checks" or something of the sort?

PS- I know its a wierd question, but I am curious because I happened to get one of the 20-40 mile cars- but as far as I can tell, my dealer didnt put them on. I came to the dealer later the same day it was delivered. I thought the mileage was a little high, and they deny driving it. I asked around, and everyone I talked to confirmed the same thing- it was pulled off the truck, and driven directly into the showroom. I checked the tires, and they all still had the thin little "seam flaps" on them, so someone didnt go joyriding at least. It was way too cold on delivery day to do any kind of screwing around without spinning the tires and ripping those flaps off.

SERPENT INDIANA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased 2-2003 Vipers.....one was delivered with 7 miles and one with 18 miles.....both Woodhouse cars....figured one had been on the factory test route.....I think they still drive some of them every day....

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Dan,

I was told they road test every fifth Viper for quality control.

Thanks Chuck, thats exactly what I figured was going on. I also just remembered running accross a video of them testing a FE Viper, so it all makes sense now :2tu:

viperweb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've actually been on a ride-along when they tested a car at the factory. It was a 2002 FE, #232. I probably took the video you were referring to. It's posted on www.feviper.com. They do a short autocross course behind the factory, then take it out and run it through all 6 gears to make sure everthing is working properly.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my '04 SRT had exactly 40.3 miles on it when I got new from my dealer and I watched it get unloaded and the owner of the dealership made a lap around the lot before it went into the show room.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I picked up my 98 GT2 directly from the factory it had 38 miles on it and water marks in the wheel wells indicating it had been driven outside of the factory. I didn't ask any questions about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness