Auto A/C diagnostic equipment

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anybody recomend tools to diagnos the A/C? With three vehicles and living in FL I think I want to start doing this myself.

Travis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good set of A/C pressure gauges is where you should start, and they are available from many places. I suggest www.ackits.net because they have a great help forum and the prices are excellent!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warfang giving me grief. Where's that middle finger smiley? :)
heh... I'm the biggest baby when it comes to my AC, and it's time I took mine to a pro that can service it properly... the fill-it-yourself kits just aren't cutting it.

Travis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heh... I'm the biggest baby when it comes to my AC, and it's time I took mine to a pro that can service it properly... the fill-it-yourself kits just aren't cutting it.

Yep, the 'DIY death kits' are junk, and if a professional detects 'stop leak' in the system, there is a good chance they will refuse you service (stop leak can clog there expensive servicing equipment).

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yep, the 'DIY death kits' are junk, and if a professional detects 'stop leak' in the system, there is a good chance they will refuse you service (stop leak can clog there expensive servicing equipment).

I remember your posting on that a while ago. Thanks for the info. I don't think there is any stop leak in what I was using, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't buy any do-it-yourself tools ever. I get commercial grade. I'm hoping that's the quality that Travis posted.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck,
I have a decent set of gauges, and a loaner vacuum pump....bring it over, we'll get her fixed.

Mine has been working okay, so far.....

Travis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to get the dye and find out where the leak is.

Chuck, the correct thing to do now is-

1) Recover remaining R134.

2) Evacuate the system.

3) Recharge with proper quanity of R134 and dye.

4) Operate the system, and check for leaks.

I remember reading that the low side shrader valve is a common point for the Viper's to leak? May be worthwhile to tighten/change the valve(s) before you evacuate it.

See, even guys that make stupid looking fuel pump setups can be of some use;)

Travis

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck:

the viper a/c is about as simple as it gets. The only thing besides the pressure gauges that might be needed is a sniffer for coolant leaks.

Travis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck:

the viper a/c is about as simple as it gets. The only thing besides the pressure gauges that might be needed is a sniffer for coolant leaks.

Along with a vaccum pump, recovery equipment, charging scale...;)

Travis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there anything I can attach to my compressor line to use it as a vaccum pump?

You will see vaccum pumps advertized that hook up to your air compressor, but they are NOT able to pull the required vaccum needed. Check your local parts stores-Autozone has been known to rent them. If you do rent one, purchanse a oil change for it. Fresh oil in it is critical to pulling a good vaccum.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see ACKits.com has vacuum pumps from $135 to $350 with CFM ranging from 1.5 to 7.5.

How long does it take to evac the system with 1.5 CFM compared to 7.5 CFM?

Travis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see ACKits.com has vacuum pumps from $135 to $350 with CFM ranging from 1.5 to 7.5.

How long does it take to evac the system with 1.5 CFM compared to 7.5 CFM?

In a car, the 1.5 CFM unit is fine. You evacuate the system for a minimum of half a hour, close the gauges off, and see if it holds vaccum. If it holds vaccum without dropping off, you can charge it.

I got my pump off ebay. Search "Robinair 15600". A lot of pump for the money.

I can give you a # to call me at if you have any long winded questions.

Take care
Travis

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck, you can borrow, the "loaner" pump I have over here any time....until I return it. Seems like a lot of $$ for such a limited use tool.

Oldwilsonian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Travis stated in an earlier post that is the correct procedure, there is only so far you can go with your DIY kits - effectively that is.

I you don't mind driving up to New Port Richey, I have a $4,000 Snap-On machine at my shop that I'll be more than happy to hook up for you. :2tu:

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer Dave but it sounds like a trip to New Port Richey is in the works.

OldWil, I'll take you up on that offer. I'm busy this weekend and next but perhaps the last weekend of the month.

Oldwilsonian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

Saturday 23, off to Bradenton - Corvette challenge, my buddy has a Twin Turbo vette we're going to run, but Saturday 30 would be fine, call me towards the end of that week if you wish and we can arrange a time and I'll give you directions (easy to find on US19) 727-848-3700

Look forward to meeting you.

OW :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery