Autoform Hardtop

DeLViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a hardtop and was leaning towards the Autoform. If you have the Autoform hardtop, what's your opinion? Give me your positive and negative remarks concerning the top. Should I buy new or used? And is it worth it? :usa:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Autoform makes a nice top, but I have to chime in with Constanzo ---- that folding top seems to really appeal to the folks that got it, and it sure makes things handy if you get caught out in the rain.

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the trunk top is ugly. I prefer the look of the Autoform. Every Autoform roof I saw looked really nice on the car.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the design and convienience of the trunk top is great but I don't like the looks. I wouldn't mind having it though. I may end up getting the AutoForm top because it will accomodate the autoform RT/10 rollbar and I plan on doing many more track events as time permits. The Autoform hard top has a nice double-bubble design and gives 4" more of head room.

OP
OP
DeLViper

DeLViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do like the idea of the trunk top version and it's convenience. As ViperTony said, it provides the additional 4" headroom which I prefer and plus, aesthetically it provides the Viper a more appealing look! Thanks for your comments guys!

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Autoform on my Gen1. I think it's a great top. It's got great fit that's water tight. There is extra headroom, enough to easily clear a roll bar and give room inside for a helmet. I also prefer the look, as it gives the front lines of the car a similar look to the GTS.

For me, the top in the trunk is worthless. I had my soft top in the trunk many times, but never used it. It was far more likely that I wanted to put something in the trunk, like a briefcase or gym bag, than I needed to pull the top out because I got caught in the rain. With the top in the trunk, there's not any room for other stuff.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The decision comes down to a couple factors

With the Autoform, it is on or off .... If you are out driving without it and a popup storm comes along, you're SOL. It does provide more headroom and room for a rollbar

With the trunktop, you can go out without the roof and have it in your trunk, of course, you then have no trunk space left, but if it starts to rain, you can put it on. Less headroom, have to replace the factory sportsbar.

I like them both ... have the trunktop, headroom isn't an issue, I'm 6'2" but no way with a helmet on.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With my Autoform it looked great, but once it was on I never wanted to take it off. I could actually feel the AC!

I guess I didn't get the fitment dead-on with my Autoform so I had wear on the sport bar bad and had deep paint scratches on the sport bar on the driver side. The windows also dug into my interior trim, permanently leaving an indention on the driver's side.

However, my RT had been wrecked so maybe everything didn't line up for me and it's fine on other cars. I just know from my personal experience it left a few permanent marks. It looks great, no doubt, but if I went RT again I wouldn't have a top except for emergencies. If I wanted the roof on I'd buy a GTS. The RT looks tons better with no top, but the Autoform at least tries to follow the lines of the body and the design of the car.

Jon B can get you a good deal on them.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the trunk top with the scoop looks at least as good as the Autoform so I would opt for the 3 piece trunk deal. Just more practical, comes along with you, easier to handle and doesn't take up space in the garage.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the trunk top with the scoop looks at least as good as the Autoform so I would opt for the 3 piece trunk deal. Just more practical, comes along with you, easier to handle and doesn't take up space in the garage.

I Agree, it's sleek looking and definitely very practical compared to the stupid rag top that goes in your trunk. If I bought a RT/10 I was going to buy that trunk top.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the Autoform hard top on my Green 95 GEN1. LOVED IT. The car looked like a GTS when the top was on. Windows are really nice too. HOnestly after i put the top on, i never took it of, loved it that much. Check out my photo gallery if you want to see a Green GEN1 with the top....You won't be sorry, plus keep in mind the Autoform has the painted pieces goign down the windshield frame, HUGE in my opinion. the only draw back is you can't put it in the trunk. What is more important to you?:headbang:

OP
OP
DeLViper

DeLViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJames, It was actually your pics and another one on here that got me intrigued into getting an Autoform hardtop.

IMG_0412.JPG

You must be registered for see images

During the summer I normally have the top off, but once in a while I prefer to have the AC running o those HOT days, which in turn putting on the noisy soft top and the lousy curtain windows. In any case, I [refer to haev something more solid, more headroom space, and visibility. Since it comes as a package when purchasing, that's what got me leaning more to AutoForm. I'll probably create a pulley system in the garage, similiar to my hardtop jeep wrangelr to easily lift the top off when I prefer to go *******.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ViperJames, It was actually your pics and another one on here that got me intrigued into getting an Autoform hardtop.

IMG_0412.JPG

You must be registered for see images

During the summer I normally have the top off, but once in a while I prefer to have the AC running o those HOT days, which in turn putting on the noisy soft top and the lousy curtain windows. In any case, I [refer to haev something more solid, more headroom space, and visibility. Since it comes as a package when purchasing, that's what got me leaning more to AutoForm. I'll probably create a pulley system in the garage, similiar to my hardtop jeep wrangelr to easily lift the top off when I prefer to go *******.

I did the exact same thing; I looked on the Jeep forums and fashioned a pulley system. I went one step further and made the pulleys attach to a roughly 2' x 4' carpeted board with rubber feet on it, so I could lower it all the way down to the top and rest it on top. I then had 4 hooks that attached to the board and lifted the top, and I used the top of the board to store the bagged windows. Everything needed for my top was in one place.

OP
OP
DeLViper

DeLViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the exact same thing; I looked on the Jeep forums and fashioned a pulley system. I went one step further and made the pulleys attach to a roughly 2' x 4' carpeted board with rubber feet on it, so I could lower it all the way down to the top and rest it on top. I then had 4 hooks that attached to the board and lifted the top, and I used the top of the board to store the bagged windows. Everything needed for my top was in one place.

I may just do that, thanks for the advise, Jason!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4