Automatic Transmission

TwinTurbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First post to this Site and from what I have read it sure beats the others as the people here seem to be 100% quality.

Would like to know if anyone can help me make up my mind as to replacing 6 speed transmission on my SRT with automatic as I am having twin turbo's installed and thought it would be quicker and less hassle with automatic. I have heard that it is 4 speed automatic and wondering if it would hurt or help the sale of car when and if I decide to sell it and what your opinion is of this transmission handling 900+ horsepower.

Thanks for any help as your ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TT -

Welcome to the forums! This question actually just came up the other day. While you can easily do a search (click the "search" button at the top and type in "automatic"), here it is:

http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=601638

The stock transmission seems to be VERY capable of handling high horsepower. It's the rear differential that most people seem to change out when pushing over 800 HP.

Be sure to enter your VIN in your private profile and we will get your title "upgraded". And if you haven't joined the VCA yet, please do!

Again, welcome aboard...

Chris

OP
OP
T

TwinTurbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chris...
Like I said...Quality people here. Appreciate your help and will look up the link you suggested.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome TwinTurbo!! You are right, you will find 100% quality people on this site, and you'll get expert opinions on the questions you ask. ENJOY~juli

OP
OP
T

TwinTurbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome TwinTurbo!! You are right, you will find 100% quality people on this site, and you'll get expert opinions on the questions you ask. ENJOY~juli

Thanks Juli....
See that you have an 05 and "mods". I bought an o4 and having Twin Turbo's installed. Just hope I'm not getting to old to handle the power. Sure got a lot to learn about "what" works best and as long as I can get quality work done, I'm ok.
Nice to know that nice people...do exist!!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll have to let us know how you like the turbos!! Yep, have the '05 w/minimal mods waiting for the supercharger from Roe. Enjoy~ juli~

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe Dan Cragin at DC Performance in LA has installed a couple automatics. Gotta be more consistant for drag racers than manual gearbox.

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Racing Solutions has done several manual to auto conversions...and they don't recommend it for the higher HP cars. The autos just won't handle much more than 700rwhp, not to mention dealing with a stall converter. If you're planning to stay around 700rwhp and want to drag race it, an auto would be the choice...but an expensive one. I believe the conversion is upwards of $25,000.

OP
OP
T

TwinTurbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Racing Solutions has done several manual to auto conversions...and they don't recommend it for the higher HP cars. The autos just won't handle much more than 700rwhp, not to mention dealing with a stall converter. If you're planning to stay around 700rwhp and want to drag race it, an auto would be the choice...but an expensive one. I believe the conversion is upwards of $25,000.

Thanks for your reply and have checked with a couple Viper Speed shops, Hennesseey being one that offers a 4 speed automatic. Again thanks for your reply. I will check with Racing Solutions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness