B&M vs Hurst shifters

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm going to buy a shifter today, but not sure which shifter is of better quality. I did some searching, but found conflicting reviews. Any input is appreciated.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did some searching, but found conflicting reviews.

Well, you'll get the same here.

I have the B&M and like it alot.

cue for someone to post that has the Hurst and likes it alot....;)

seriously, i dont think you can go wrong with either. Money well spent IMO to improve the stock unit:2tu:

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
B&M for sure. If you have A/M trans mount hurst shifter will not fit w/o modifications. Thats what I ran into atleast.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B&M for sure. If you have A/M trans mount hurst shifter will not fit w/o modifications. Thats what I ran into atleast.

What he said! He had a challenge getting the hurst in mine this winter 'cause if the tranny mounts.
luckily Victor was persistent and it's in! ('01 GTS).

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone try both b&m and hurst?

Yes I have. I would say the quality is the same. I think that the Hurst had a little stronger springs to keep it centered in the 3-4 shift pattern. I had to change a spring in the B&M to make it feel like I wanted (It didn't move away from the 1-2 pattern as strongly as I wanted.)

The Hurst is definitely a tight fit. It fit OK in my car; but, it would help to remove the trans mount temporarily to lower the trans to put the Hurst in position. The shift lever is VERY close to the ashtray recess metal. I can see that manufacturing tolerances adding up on the wrong side for some people would make it interfere even with the stock trans mount.

The B&M installs easily because the shift lever is essentially two pieces, and would allow you to change knob height.

BTW: The MGW shifter does not fit in the Gen 2 without modification to the tunnel according to Mark J. Too bad, I still want to try that one.

Sssssss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a b&m in mine and haven't looked back, love it, I also prefer hurst (in my past applications) but read to many bad things about them for the viper

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the last go 'round MGW, while a great shifter, is not for the Gen II.

This is the same as asking "so, what exhaust or header do you like the best?" You'll got lots of opinions, usually supporting the brand (choice) that is in their car. For the few who have tried/used both, that would probably carry the most weight. I am interested, because I expect to be changing mine out in the future, just want to do some other things first that I consider more important.

I had this discussion with Chuck..."The Man"....and, he has experience with both brands. I would check with him before making up your mind.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could care less about brand, I just have the thing sitting in my closet staring me in the face. Not sure I want a shorter shifter. My car already has a mgw knob on it so it sits much lower than stock.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold my Hurst since it was such a PITA to pull the tranny with it installed. Loved the shifter, I just couldn't deal with having to uninstall the shifter when I wanted to pull the tranny. I ended up going back to the stock shifter with a modified (shortened) rod.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You definitely can pull the tranny with the b&m installed. I pulled the motor with the tranny attached with it on it. I had to remove the upper shift mount that holds the knob but came right out.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the deal with the Hurst...can't remove that long-ass shift rod from the assembly. Its one solid curvy rod threaded on one end for the shifter ball. Stupid.

viperrossa90

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi guys, has anyone tried Qwik Stik short throw shifter in gen IV Vipers, if so, any complaints??

Thanks for any input....