Base Model VS. GTS

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Base model--That's what some of the magazines are calling the SRT Viper. Who wants to spend 100K plus and have your ride called the "base model"? Even on this forum, a poster referred to the SRT model as the "cheapo". Doesn't sound good to me, as one who likes the SRT. Not much is exclusive to the SRT(unless you're wild about vinyl door panels, dash and console)--not the track pack, not the 6 vented hood, not the 5 spoke wheels. From what I'm hearing about the stripes, sounds like the GTS will be traditional, full length---SRT, not so much. Want full length stripes? Want Stryker Red? Want any wheels other than 5 spoke? Want a leather interior? Got to buy the GTS. Problem with buying the GTS is you get a lot more electronics, noise deadeners, rear inner fenders, etc. jammed up your a**. Maybe it would have been better to do one model and allow the customer to choose the options and packages? I guess it's called marketing....

Bill

OP
OP
S

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing says "cheap" quite like vinyl---at least offer a leather option other than just the seats for the SRT model.

Bill

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FTR my "cheapo" comment was tongue and cheek, like most of my posts. There's nothing cheapo about a $100k sports car.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've never seen the interior on my ACR then.

My comment was directed towards to OPs point being made about the "base" model. My dad had a TT SRT Vert. Don't get me started on the interior...then again..the only thing that bothered me was the size, or lack there of.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Base model--That's what some of the magazines are calling the SRT Viper. Who wants to spend 100K plus and have your ride called the "base model"? Even on this forum, a poster referred to the SRT model as the "cheapo". Doesn't sound good to me, as one who likes the SRT. Not much is exclusive to the SRT(unless you're wild about vinyl door panels, dash and console)--not the track pack, not the 6 vented hood, not the 5 spoke wheels. From what I'm hearing about the stripes, sounds like the GTS will be traditional, full length---SRT, not so much. Want full length stripes? Want Stryker Red? Want any wheels other than 5 spoke? Want a leather interior? Got to buy the GTS. Problem with buying the GTS is you get a lot more electronics, noise deadeners, rear inner fenders, etc. jammed up your a**. Maybe it would have been better to do one model and allow the customer to choose the options and packages? I guess it's called marketing....

Bill

Actually I think the stripes are the reverse of that. The full length traditional dual stripes are standard on the SRT, the fang design ending at the hood bulge is standard on the GTS.

Looking at the option list you can option the SRT seats to leather. Looks like the only surface that will be vinyl in the SRT is the console and doors, if it looks soft and nice enough and matches the leather in color, and I bet it will if the other car lines are any indication, it will wear much better. It won't be the hard touch stuff we have now.

All the other surfaces, instrument panel, steering wheel, shift knob, shift boot, parking brake handle and boot come standard with leather in the SRT. So to up the leather factor just option the seats to leather.
Looks like the other difference is the the contrasting stitching is limited to the GTS. As is the alcantara leather headliner.

Looks like other than vinyl doors and console and contrasting stitching the SRT will come in leather. Dual stripes are standard. Stryker red is not available but all other colors are. 5 spokes are available in 3 colors or the lightweight track pack wheels can be optioned on the SRT. It looks like the GTS wheels are exclusive to the GTS.

So the only things I can find that the SRT buyer will have to accept are no leather on doors or console, no alcantera headliner, no Stryker red color, GTS wheels not available, sound deadening package not available, carbon fiber applique on rear not available, I don't really think that's much to give up to save a bunch of bucks. And I think the hood is better looking as well as the 5 spokes, and I could take or leave the carbon fiber rear.

One thing I think is amusing is that the conquest buyers being targeted (Porsche/Aston guys) will probably buy the GTS and option the SRT hood and the track pack with the lightweight wheels so unless the car is Stryker red the only way you will be able to tell the difference between the models (all of us who order the SRT will no doubt get the track pack with the lightweight wheels) will be to see if the car has the carbon fiber rear applique, and I guarantee it will be about 2 weeks after someone can get a measurement for that piece to be available aftermarket.

Make mine an SRT with track pack and lightweight black wheels, in black with full billet silver stripes please. I can't wait.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All coupes should have been called the GTS. What makes the base model any different besides the adjustable shocks and better interior? The GEN2 GTS didn't have two-mode shocks, so how does that make it worthy of the GTS name? There should have been package A, B, and C for all GTS's. Option each one accordingly and allow for addons in each group.

People will start saying, "Oh, you have the base model, you're not as fast as the GTS", when in reality, the base model will be faster because it's lighter.

I personally like the hood of the base model better.

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure on the terminolgy here.
Aren't you confusing the word "standard" with "available"?
I thought standard meant at no additional charge. As in comes on the base model.
The standard with no option's SRT is no stripe and in black or red. Period.
Any other color or striping is optional which means additional cost. All the other items are optional at additional cost.

So a SRT can be optioned out to be "like" a GTS but it certainly isn't the base or "standard" model SRT.
Or am I wrong?

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I kinda dislike that the faster of the two cars called the base model. It shouldn't really matter, but it just doesn't make sense or sit well with me. Back in the days of the 959, there were two models available, the sport and the luxury. It seems to me that the viper's classifications should run in line with that. If the GTS were more luxurious AND faster, then by all means call the base model the base model, but they seem to be for two different purposes, not levels of improvement on the same car.

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a feeling people will simply call it a Viper. GTS now means upscale interior. I don't have an issue with the GTS moniker. Both versions will be wickedly fast. It's not like the Corvette model lines that have 420 hp, 505hp or 630hp. I do plan on purchasing the GTS version and it will look great next to my 96 GTS annd 92 RT/10.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stripes, Vinyl are a non-issue. Don't like vinyl on the door? Pull the panel off and take to a local interior guy. Get it done in pink leather if you like. Same for the stripes. Have a good painter do them any way you want them. Yep and it will probably cost less than buying the option. Everyone and their monkeys uncle will have optional parts and pieces for the gen 5 same as the gen 2. GTS Bruce

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte