Beginner Drift Event in S Cal

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might go to this just to watch. I just put a set of Kumho Ecsta V700's on my Viper. Wouldn't make for a very good drifting tire!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where are you practicing, Willow Springs? I really could care less about the comp aspect of drifting. I just want to go out and learn how to do it. Really looking for a safe place to practice with some pointers. Would love to get a group of SoCal guys together.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
d love to watch and would even love to do it but i dont wanna wreck my new tires..:)

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you even drift in a Viper? Seems to be almost perfectly designed to keep from doing just that!

OP
OP
Reaction score
Well as far as can you drift a Viper. Yes, Samuel Hubinette won the 2004 and 2006 Formula D national titles in his Viper. He's now in a Charger.

As far as practicing safe. Yes I practice out at Willow Springs, no walls on the Walt James track or the Balcony. If anyone wants they can come out with me. Also depending on # of people interested. If there are only a few you could use my car. If there are alot we'd have to arrange something with more tires ...haha.

As far as the debate over Drifting being stupid ... All I can say is that I've done ALL types of racing www.gstg.info and I can say from experience that Drifting is not only some of the most fun, but also VERY challenging.

As far as driving skill required, in my humble opinion it goes from hardest to easiest ...

1 - Rally racing (including Baja type racing)
2 - Drifting
3 - Road courses (including Auto X)
4 - Drag racing

Drifting requires MANY skills, downshift control, heel-toe braking / shifting, throttle lift control, braking, E-Brake control (although I don't use it in the Viper), tracktion control (not cpu), and some heavy pucker moments.

PS: Feel free to email me directly or get a thread / event going and I'll go. I normally rent the Willow Springs track for $100 per day (not weekends), but it requires a $100 per year license also with them to cover track insurance.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Write when a Viper goes back to Lemans.What's next for a Viper?A low rider bouncing up and down?Monster truck set up?I never thought of a Viper as a clown shoe.Must have something to do with the driver.Time to get a Vette. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
Reaction score
The event had 36 cars competing. They had 3 courses and were only planning
on giving out 1st place for each course. But after they did they then gave me
another award that they were not planning on.

From what I was told I ended up taking 2nd place on 2 of the events and 3rd
place in the other. So I had actually won overall point count apparently. But since they
only gave out 1st, they ended up adding a trophy for overall in order to qualify
me for the regionals ....haha.

So not sure if you would call that 1st or 4th, but either way it got me the
qualifying place I needed, so I'm happy :cool:

Here's a link to some practice stuff I was doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcpwgCjSKgg

The practice stuff is not what you see at events, but I wanted to add some basics for those who have never seen it. Also if you spin at any time you DQ for the runs. So in the practice stuff it's important to work on control ...ALOT. If you've never done it before it's alot harder then it looks to control. It's easy to just spin out, but not to keep a controled turn. I'd love to see some other vids of people in Vipers smoking it up.

OP
OP
Reaction score
Haha .. funny thing is I've heard that all my life :cool:

You're an idiot for skydiving ...

You must be registered for see images

You're an idiot for flying helicopters ...

You're an idiot for handgliding ...

You're an idiot for dragracing ...

You're an idiot for getting married in a drive thru ...

You're an idiot for SCUBA diving with sharks ...

You're an idiot for joining the polar bear club ...

You're an idiot for traveling so much ...

http://www.gstg.info/travel.htm

You're an idiot for racing so much ...

http://members.cox.net/gstg3/racing.htm

You're an idiot for driving your Viper so much ...

and you know what .... in the end I'm really enjoying my life. I can hope you can say the same about yours :cool:

As far as the whole racing thing ... I've won TCRA division titles in road racing and unless you're won titles in both road-racing and drifting ... I'm not sure how you qualify as an expert to say it's not harder. To me it is. The car control needed is VERY skill based. Regardless of prejudice opinions ... I'd love to see some of these people try to put their skills to the test and see just how well they could control a car at limit.

Haha .. all said and done for me it's one of the most rewarding and fustrating sports I've ever done. Only skydiving has had the same adrenal rush. Road racing has many "pucker" moments, but not as many "rush" moments. At least that's my experience so far.

I'm still amazed at the negative feedback I've seen from some of the Viper community ... well most have just seen it as another sport, like drag racing and road racing, others seem to have been offended some how. Personally I'm not very prejudice and tend to try things to determine if I personally enjoy them or not and I can only assume there is some preconceived notion because of the foreign cars involved ... it's my only guesss.

In the end .. it's all about what you enjoy and I enjoy this alot. Hopefully I enjoy it enough to make it to the ProAm Nationals :cool:

www.gstg.info

Last edited:

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gerard is living life and a better person you will never meet, I wish him luck with all of his dreams.

Dan cragin
DC Performance Inc.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My apologies, I didn't know you by your screen name, but I recognize you and your crew from this pic;

We've road raced together ( I was faster :D )

OP
OP
Reaction score
Haha ... well not my crew for sure :cool:

Middle person in the pic is Samuel Hubinette (www.ToxicDrift.com)

2004 & 2006 Formula D Champion. A much better road course and drifter then me. He's also been Driving for Mopar for quite a while.

As far as being faster ... I don't doubt it. The last road course I competed in was Division II stock car, 415 hp. So if you were at some event with a newer car I would hope you were faster :cool:

PS: I was a little surprised at the negativity because of your previous reply to a post I had started:

"My lifetime career has been built around bringing "happiness" to literally millions of people, though maybe for a short time for some, it still brings joy to so many :2tu:

Again I've literally touched millions of lives and am now retired but my gift keeps on giving."

I loved that post you had done and had sent you a PM to ask what you had done for a living ... it's always so rewarding to help others attain either their goals or if nothing else just a helping hand when they need it. :cool:

Last edited:

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha ... well not my crew for sure :cool:

Middle person in the pic is Samuel Hubinette (www.ToxicDrift.com)

2004 & 2006 Formula D Champion. A much better road course and drifter then me. He's also been Driving for Mopar for quite a while.

As far as being faster ... I don't doubt it. The last road course I competed in was Division II stock car, 415 hp. So if you were at some event with a newer car I would hope you were faster :cool:

PS: I was a little surprised at the negativity because of your previous reply to a post I had started:

"My lifetime career has been built around bringing "happiness" to literally millions of people, though maybe for a short time for some, it still brings joy to so many :2tu:

Again I've literally touched millions of lives and am now retired but my gift keeps on giving."

I loved that post you had done and had sent you a PM to ask what you had done for a living ... it's always so rewarding to help others attain either their goals or if nothing else just a helping hand when they need it. :cool:

LOL, I really didn't mean crew, I meant "posse" :D

Exhaust and brake modified 2000 RT on Dot tires I managed a 1:30.04 at WSIR, damn sux not breaking 1:30 :rant:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960