Belanger questions

webby

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2005 SRT/10

Sorry to beat a dead horse but I couldn't find specific answers to some of my questions through search.

Here is my situation: I love the tone of the stock exhaust, but I'd like it a little louder. Belanger seems to have the nicest tone, but I think with the full system it might be too loud. I am considering getting just the Belanger catback, without the headers, then maybe a couple years from now I'll add headers + high flow cats.

Questions:
Is the Belanger catback just Magnaflow?
If I get just the catback, will it have the same tone as the full system, just at a lower volume? Or do I really need the headers for the "Belanger sound"?
Would it make more sense to get just headers and no catback? (the downside would be, I really want to change the look of those ugly side exits and get rid of the heat from the crossover too)

Thank you!!!

Last edited:

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my opinion here.... If you like the sound but want a little more of it, look for some gen IV OEM pipes. On my last car (03) I had a magnaflow system and it was very loud and the drone was horrible. It was nice getting rid of the crossover, but I coudln't handle it. So I found a set of 08 pipes and they bolt right up to your OEM cats. It gaver the car a very nice sound without being too annoying. I now have an 06 with high flow cats and corsa. Others might dessagree with me, but a gen III with 08 cat-back is almost the same sound as the corsa system. SO, back to your question. here is what I would do. I would get some belanger headers because the power gains to be had, use either high flow cats or no cats and get a factory 08 catback setup. It will be a little louder than my old setup withe having headers, but should eliminate any drone issues. Good luck with your choices.

OP
OP
W

webby

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Which one has more of an effect on the tone & volume, headers or cat back? I don't really care about the performance gains so if I can get a nice Belanger-y sound with just the cat back I would do that instead. Do the 08 cat backs get rid of the cross over? I will look at those too. Also do the tips look better? The Gen III tips are so ugly. Thanks!

Last edited:

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just did a full Belanger setup with headers, high flow cats, and Magnaflow mufflers on my 06'. Anything from 2500 rpm and up is loud with a drone but I like that. Inside door panel rattles sometimes also. Does not bother me at all.
I may be wrong but, I think if you go with high flow cats and Belanger mufflers it will still be loud with drone sound also but not as loud as if you added headers. I know the high flow cats will make the exhaust run cooler though.
It sounds to me that you may be happy with just the Belanger cat back exhaust. I think that the Magnaflow mufflers that come with a full Belanger setup are different than if you just ordered Belanger mufflers alone. I think Jon B. from PartsRack or Sean from Roe Racing told me that.

Last edited:

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 06 i went with Corsa cat back. It got rid of the cross over, reduced the heat in the cabin and produced agreat sound with no drone.

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Webby, here is my 2 cents on this. I called Jon B when I was choosing exhaust for my violet 08 which I think you have seen a couple of times in Indy. After driving him crazy with at least a thousand questions, I went Corsa with Random Tech metal substrate high flow cats. I stayed with the stock size 2.5in inlet, because I was not doing headers and wanted to maintain back pressure to preserve torque. I get tons of compliments on the sound.:2tu:

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just installed the full Belanger system and it sounds great. As I mentioned in a different thread the drone is there but can be dealt with using gear selection. Example: at 30 mph = drone so shift into 4th. 40 mph in 4th =drone, shift to 5th, etc. At about 70 in 6th it will start droning again but goes away if you drive fast enough :D Also after a few weeks the system does quite down a little.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drone will KILL the joy of driving your car, go with the Corsa or an 08 set up, if you need it louder go with the HF cats.

deadman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
in my experience: Full setup was great above 2000rpm, no drone whatsoever. However, my cruising speed is ~1500rpm and that drone was unbereable for my ears. So I got separate cat L component from belanger and hooked headers with standard exhaust. I would rate this the best approach - you will get the power and durability of the headers and usability of our signature UPS truck sound without any drone. You do want to change the headers, the stock ones will crack sooner or later - bad design of the support elements.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headers will give it a deep throaty muscle car sound as I had a full Bellanger set up on my 06' I had. Kicker is not header hi flow cat set up will not pass emissions hence if you must comply, you will not pass with Headers and Hi Flow Cats. If all you car about is sound, the right cat back can so that.Bellanger full set up sounded great and build quality was good. It is very loud. Dealing with Lou afterwards to track down issues with emissions? That was louder! I will look elsewhere for next set up.

OP
OP
W

webby

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedback! I think I am going to go with high flow cats + 08 cat back. That should hopefully give me the tone and volume I am looking for, and cut down the heat. Then if that ends up being too quiet, I'll add Belanger headers later.

The only negative is the black exhaust tips on the 08 cat back, any thoughts on how I could get the polished look?

SRT101969

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 06 i went with Corsa cat back. It got rid of the cross over, reduced the heat in the cabin and produced agreat sound with no drone.

YES:headbang::headbang::headbang:
I installed Belanger headers + high flow cats + Corsa, get rid of thos X pipes. I have NO DRONE and sound isn´t that loud unless you got WOT. CORSA are the best.

OP
OP
W

webby

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Webby, here is my 2 cents on this. I called Jon B when I was choosing exhaust for my violet 08 which I think you have seen a couple of times in Indy. After driving him crazy with at least a thousand questions, I went Corsa with Random Tech metal substrate high flow cats. I stayed with the stock size 2.5in inlet, because I was not doing headers and wanted to maintain back pressure to preserve torque. I get tons of compliments on the sound.:2tu:

I will have to listen next time. Yours is still the best looking Viper I've ever seen!

Check with these guys at Zero Altitude flight,
http://www.zero-altitude-flight.com/index.html
I had the exhaust tips on my 08 exhaust and it looked great, if you like that it sticks out a bit.

Thanks! It sticks out a little more than I'd like but looks much better than stock. Any other options? If not I would probably get these

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456