Berated for owning a Viper

Brentt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geesh, I haven't owned the thing a week and I'm already catching heck!

So I took my wife for coffee in FE 207 this morning and a few people I knew saw me in it.
By lunchtime, my brother was calling me to tell me he had been griped out for having too much money. It seems He and his business partner had gone out for lunch and his partner was complaining about the price of something, and the owner preceded
to come out and tell them, if they could afford a Viper they ought to be able to buy a chicken dinner. I guess someone had told him about the car and he thought it was my brothers instead of mine. Give me a break :omg: The guy probably paid more for his wifes Lexus than I did the Viper !

Ok, I'm done with my rant. I'll go back in my hole now ;)

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brentt: Don't let it get to ya...people have NO clue. Mike has worked EXtremely hard to be able to own his DREAM CAR--he works hard for it, and deserves it. Not much chance to PLAY with it, but hell, he's GOT his dream car~!!!! Shrug it off...no one has a clue~!!! And yes, we consider ourselves VERY lucky to own such a majestic BEAST! ~juli

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People have all kinds of opinions about Vipers. I was dating a girl who told me that it was the worst case of a car built purely to be 'phalic' that she had ever seen. She also told me the stripes were ***. I told her they didn't name it Viper for no reason, and put her in the 'was' category...

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're just GREEN...Most people have no idea how much a Viper costs so they make assumptions based upon looks, but to look at one striking a pose in a parking lot...? It really does look like a million bucks. Revel in your wisdom and enjoy your awesome purchase. Thank you Dodge. If you want go unnoticed, now, drive a Corvette.:D

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same here, ever since I got my FE 4 people think I'm made out of money or something. All of my co-workers thought that I must have gotten some type of backdoor contract pay-off to afford an expensive car like this. Little they know that my car cost less than my boss SL 500.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
7 Vipers, over the last 5-6 years. And have not taken a single one to my office. For this exact reason... Its a shame, but very true..

whats funny is my E55 that I drive daily, cost double what I paid for my first viper. And catches ZERO attention.. Go figure..

GenII's can be bought now, for the price of a new Mustang GT.. But to those who dont know cars. they look like a million bucks :)

hdscreens

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never go in my Viper to give people bids or estimates. They would probably think I was over charging because I drive a Viper. Little they know I am always honest and when I complete a job and feel that I did overcharge I tell them and charge them less.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How you spend your money is your business. The statements do however provide insight as to the ones that made the statements.....

Anyway, don't worry we share you joy! Congrats on such a wise decision. :drive:

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I waited 10 years to buy a Viper and I bought it because I have always wanted one but never had the finances to do it with while providing a decent life for a family of four and the expenses of owning my own business. Let people think what they will. I work hard and like to have a little fun and it was my turn! I deserved it! Everyone has an outlet and this is mine!!!! :2tu:

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This kind of crap comes with owning a Viper. I do my best not to tell people that I own any. Once they find out, they usually come after me, trying to grub money. "If you have two Vipers, you can surely afford to give me money".

Many people will resent you for it. The best approach is to keep it to yourself and out of your business life. People are simple minded and very angry. It's not a good combination and you will become the target of their misery if they find out that you have something that is beyond their good fortune.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my 08 I actually got less jobs at work because others thought that I must have enough money and not need the work as much as some of the other people.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just drop my pants and say, "Not as small as you thought it was, eh?".
:D

Jealousy is a stinky cologne.

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL at Kevan.

My co-workers know about my GTS, they also know about my passion for cars. Whenever someone has an issue with their vehicle or a question about buying a certain car they come to me, it's all good.

I've had the occasional run-ins with people on the street yelling "tell your dad he has a nice car" etc. but I don't let it bother me, I know the truth and that's all that matters.

Rob

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my Viper to work about 3 times a week and park it in front of the office.

When I don't drive it I get disparaging remarks from people because they wanted to see it and are disappointed that it's not there.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Majestic, Juli? King of the road kind a thing? :)
Owing a small General Store means that my neighbors think that THEY paid for my car. I explain to them that the car money came before the store, and if they don't believe me then they can buy my store and buy their own Viper. Usually they are driving a $50,000 Diesel Dodge Ram and I point that out to them.

One woman pulled up and said I wasn't being very Green. I pointed out her new Dodge pickup and told her I get at least 2mpg better mileage than her, my car cost about the same money and I stopped killing/hitting Deer since I can now stop in about 100' while she needs about 160'. Then I pointed out that her crew cab was empty. She bought a Minivan and doesn't like me any more. :)

Evil non-bill paying woman. :(

Ted

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just shows that there is a lot of pure ignorance out there about most everything. I wonder what percent of Avalons, Lexus', Accords, and even Camrys (not to mention SUVs) cost more than a Gen 1 or Gen 2 Viper? Yet, those people buy those cars and spend $30-50K without thinking anything of it. 95% of the people in this world are ignorant and lack self-awareness. That's just the way it is.

My neighbor has a Jeep Grand Cherokee as a daily driver. He is divorced and lives alone. Last summer he bought the top of the line Chevy Truck loaded with everything and I know it cost more than my Gen 2. It stays parked in his garage most of the time and every once in a while he drives it on nice days and cleans it. I find that very odd because it is a truck; but I like the guy and he is a great neighbor. I respect that it is his money and his choice, so more power to him if that is what he wants to do. I think chicks in our town dig cool trucks too! I think that is the real reason! :2tu:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Majestic, Juli? King of the road kind a thing? :)
Owing a small General Store means that my neighbors think that THEY paid for my car. I explain to them that the car money came before the store, and if they don't believe me then they can buy my store and buy their own Viper. Usually they are driving a $50,000 Diesel Dodge Ram and I point that out to them.

One woman pulled up and said I wasn't being very Green. I pointed out her new Dodge pickup and told her I get at least 2mpg better mileage than her, my car cost about the same money and I stopped killing/hitting Deer since I can now stop in about 100' while she needs about 160'. Then I pointed out that her crew cab was empty. She bought a Minivan and doesn't like me any more. :)

Evil non-bill paying woman. :(

Ted

I think they paid for your Demon you have for sale... ;)

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is divorced and lives alone. Last summer he bought the top of the line Chevy Truck loaded with everything .... It stays parked in his garage most of the time and every once in a while he drives it on nice days and cleans it. I find that very odd because it is a truck; but I like the guy and he is a great neighbor. I respect that it is his money and his choice, so more power to him if that is what he wants to do. I think chicks in our town dig cool trucks too! I think that is the real reason! :2tu:

i bet it the truck his ex said he would never own as long as she's his wife :lmao:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think they paid for your Demon you have for sale... ;)

Nope, they only buy my gas. That's why I've got my 440 Duster, Demon and a few others for sale. Wanting to buy a SRT8 or trade towards a GT500? Only fort I'd own, but prefer a Challenger.

Got a Dodge Ram recently. Wanna buy the wife's 91 Escape V6 4x4? We just installed a $4500 AWD automatic trans in it.

LOL.

Ted

OP
OP
B

Brentt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys. It's clear that owning a Viper has added responsibilities besides keeping your foot out of the throttle, and I can see where in todays economy purchasing an exotic car might seem "over the top" to some people which leads me to another question, so I'm hijacking my own thread :bandit:

Should I take my preteen daughter to School in the Viper?

Adolesence is tough enough as it is and I don't want to make things worse.
I know if I ask her she will say "sure", but I don't know if she understands how the other kids or parents might react. So what's the consensus Should I or shouldn't I?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys. It's clear that owning a Viper has added responsibilities besides keeping your foot out of the throttle, and I can see where in todays economy purchasing an exotic car might seem "over the top" to some people which leads me to another question, so I'm hijacking my own thread :bandit:

Should I take my preteen daughter to School in the Viper?

Adolesence is tough enough as it is and I don't want to make things worse.
I know if I ask her she will say "sure", but I don't know if she understands how the other kids or parents might react. So what's the consensus Should I or shouldn't I?

I say take her...adults are usually way more stupid than kids (as evidenced by everytime I get on Interstate and see people doing 50mph in the fast lane while they talk on their cell phone like they own the world). She'll become a hero at school :)

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brentt, Take her to school... She'll be a rock star for the day. Kids will ask when the Viper is coming back.

I did a couple of school drops recently... The Girl's I dropped off were thrilled. Cell phones came out, it was cool for her to arrive at school that way. Kids don't make stupid assumptions, just their parents... LOL

For me I've not had stupid comments... I even took a extreme tree hugger on a rev limit ride thru a canyon... She told me after the ride... She "gets" it... Told me it was an awesome car. I have done my duty :usa:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala