Best brakes

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.Who makes the best brakes and how much do they cost?

2.Do you need rears as well b/c I heard on a non abs cars they lock up to quick?

3.Whats the level of horsepower that aftermarket brakes are required for safe motoring?

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Five grand, stoptech front & rear w/ adjustable proportioning valve. Tune suspension for specific driving conditions, e.g. oval, track, drag. Mostly the brake packages will help you dissipate heat faster. For everyday driving with the occaisional haul down from 150 mph, consider the following:

If you can lock them up now with the standard brake package, what will bigger rotors & more calipers do for your gripping capabilities? You can achieve lock with either one.

My answer to that question is nothing at all. On dry pavement in staight line deceleration, all things being equal, ABS will not shorten your stops significantly. ABS is for inclement weather & braking through a turn while maintaining control. Depending on your circumstance (drag or track), what you have now may suit you fine.

I was shopping brakes & decided against the expenditure once I realized all I would get is a firmer feel. (for MY APPLICATION- everyday driving, no racing at the track) At the end of the day, I would be able to obtain threshold braking with either package, and since boiling my brake fluid prolly aint gonna happen, I didn't need a $5,000 brake package.

$0.02

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Porsche is known for the best brakes. Expensive to fit on a Viper. Stoptech is the predominate choice.

2. "Need?" You can update just the fronts if that is all that is in your budget. Yes, Vipers lock up easily.

3. I don't understand the question. HP and brakes?

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the StopTechs and am very happy. When I run skinnies on the front of my car, I have to take the StopTechs off and put the stock ones on (for clearance reasons). The difference is incredible!

StopTech's customer service is excellent too. I recently had an issue with one of my calipers that were installed about 1 1/2 years ago. I called them thinking I was going to get the runaround. Within a couple of minutes of explaining the situation, they told me they would overnight me a new caliper and send a call tag for the one that had a problem. The problem was a pinhole leak in the side of the caliper body, but there was never a safety concern.

As I recall, the StopTechs do not require cutting anything since they mount to the factory locations with a bracket.