Big Brake question

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone run Gen 2 front brakes all around? Would that still clear 17" wheels?

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you should be able to make them fit. I don't see there being any clearance issues in the back with 17's. I just went with Dave's Big Brakes and 14" rotors on mine, but I have 20's all around. I do have all four of my stock calipers for sale :)

OP
OP
Z

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, I was thinking they should fit because they fit in my front wheels. Now, I wonder if an aftermarket parking brake would interfere with 17" wheels.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt it can be done with 17" wheels. Even if you can make it work they would get almost no airflow for cooling

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, I was thinking they should fit because they fit in my front wheels. Now, I wonder if an aftermarket parking brake would interfere with 17" wheels.

I think it will be close but you should be okay. Everything fits inside my stock 18" ACR rims with the aftermarket e-brake, srt calipers and 14" rotors.

The only thing that comes close to rubbing is the e-brake cable becaues there is no other way to route it with the kit. Seeing how it's only an inch difference with my setup, I would "think" it would work fine with your 17's and 13" rotors, but the P-valve would be a must.

I would still seek professional information though because I just avoided this by getting bigger wheels :)

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cleared on mine. I went with my gen 2 fronts in the rear, and 03 fronts in the front. I used 17's at one time, plenty of room, but you will need spacers and different lugs. Call Chuck Tator

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Gen2 Front calipers all around it might be two much rear bias even with a proportioning valve. Or there was some other Negative...i remember asking JonB about it. For the price that you can pick up used Gen3 Sets for i think you'd be better off going that route and using the BigBrakeDave adapter Kit(JonB now sells)
When its all said and done between the brackets calipers rotors proportioning valve, ect... your looking at over $1500

I was talking with JonB about every option and cost just a couple weeks ago. You should give him a call when you get back in the states.

I ended up choosing to save alot of $$$ and simply upgrade my rear calipers with the Tom's40mm Version. 700bucks and your done. Easy install too. Do SS lines while your at it since you have to disconnect the banjo fitting to swap the calipers anyway.

Some links for you:

40mmBrakes Home

Big Brake Kits 96-02

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What Dom Said below..... Short asnwer, YES it would fit, but you'ld have to run bitey front pads, AND a soft rear pad, AND a prop valve for your year.

With Gen2 Front calipers all around it might be two much rear bias even with a proportioning valve. Or there was some other Negative...i remember asking JonB about it. For the price that you can pick up used Gen3 Sets for i think you'd be better off going that route and using the BigBrakeDave adapter Kit(JonB now sells)
When its all said and done between the brackets calipers rotors proportioning valve, ect... your looking at over $1500

I was talking with JonB about every option and cost just a couple weeks ago. You should give him a call when you get back in the states.

I ended up choosing to save alot of $$$ and simply upgrade my rear calipers with the Tom's40mm Version. 700bucks and your done. Easy install too. Do SS lines while your at it since you have to disconnect the banjo fitting to swap the calipers anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Z

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, sounds scary. I guess I will just do the 40mm upgrade in the future.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JonB, could you please send me a PM with price info for 13" rear brackets and fasteners . I gave my front 13" rotors and calipers to a friend who wants to put them on the rear of his 1999. Since I did a full 14" DBB kit all around for my 99, I don't need to keep it in a box gathering dust;).
Thanks

Got it Jon. I'll call you next Friday.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang