Big changes for 2008 Viper

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spoke with the dealer that I bought my FE GTS from. He has a good friend who is an engineer (drive train) at CAAP. He said there will be little change in the 2007 car but the big change will be in 2008. The Viper will have an all new platform with significantly more power and features designed to blow everthing else off the road. Is this the absolute truth? I can't be sure but he sounded very convincing. Does this help me or anyone else decide whether to buy the '06 coupe? I'm still a bit on the fence but leaning a little toward buying it. I need to decide soon because it may show up at the dealer in the next couple of weeks.

Bob K

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That rumor might either spur someone to buy an '06 or decide to wait. If there was a yellow / black stripes '06 coupe.....

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nudge nudge...wink wink

Once again. Only rumors. I say best time to get a Viper...Any Viper is when you feel the need. Always a better car will be in the wings, but each car has its own "Viperness" or personality.

I would not hold off buying a fantastic car today, even with the hope that another car will be available in a few years.

About the time the 08 is released, rumors will abound about the even more Super Car that SVT has in the works.

In my opinion Vipers are like sex...the worst I ever had was fantastic!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good analogy but I must've been a much bigger ***** than you. There was once when I didn't even bother finishing, told her I had to take a leak and snuck out the bathroom window. Not a bad looking gal, just didn't...ah, forget it.

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the 06 and hold an 08 wont be out until late 08 or early 09 anyway....have fun man, life is short -- its only money!

Reaction score
The 06 Viper Coupe should be an awesome performer having better aerodynamics than the rag top and likely stiffer chassis for even better corning combines with the best brakes of any street car produced.

And the Viper is hand built in the US in limited numbers. In my opinion there is no better sports car in the world.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fred, I agree that the Viper is the best sports car in the world. My preference for a convertible makes the SRT-10 an even clearer choice for me.

However, I think that anyone expecting much improvement in performance from the coupe may be surprised. The difference, if any, in aerodynamics is unlikely to be sufficient enough to be noticeable in anything other than top speed at the end of a very long run.

As for chassis stiffness, the convertible is already much, much stiffer than were the previous GTS cars. We are at a point where increasing stiffness is probably not gong to provide any noticeable improvements in performance.

We already have a convertible with absolutely amazing chassis stiffness. There isn't room for noticeable improvement.

Of course, like I said, I'm a convertible guy. I won't be interested in replacing my Viper until there is a new version of the open top.

Dirk

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good analogy but I must've been a much bigger ***** than you. There was once when I didn't even bother finishing, told her I had to take a leak and snuck out the bathroom window. Not a bad looking gal, just didn't...ah, forget it.
?

LOL, I can’t stop laughing Chuck.
What’s even funnier than the story, is that you shared it with all of us. That poor girl is probably still lying there, waiting for you to finish your leak, or in therapy.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quote:
?

What’s even funnier than the story, is that you shared it with all of us. That poor girl is probably still lying there, waiting for you to finish your leak, or in therapy.

Funny stuff. :D

OP
OP
B

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Chuck. This thread has taken a drastic new direction and I doubt it will get back on course.

Bob K

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn’t that a Seinfeld episode were Kramer talks about how he fakes the big O sometimes because he just wants to go home?

Keith C

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lets see if this will get us back on track.

With only 200 blue/white made this year (2007?) when this car hits the dealers it will be hard to get. Plus the blue/white will have a higher resale value than the other colors (yellow/black?)and blue/white makes the car. Buy it. I did.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quote:
?

She's probably still waiting to get paid. :2tu:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
?

She's probably still waiting to get paid. :2tu:

:D :headbang: :D

Edward 96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With gas prices skyrocketing and horsepower wars, maybe its 1973 all over again. I hope not. For those too young to remember, the oil embargo and insurance companies killed the muscle car era. I only mention this because 2008 is along way off. Too much uncertainty.
Ed

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With gas prices skyrocketing and horsepower wars, maybe its 1973 all over again. I hope not. For those too young to remember, the oil embargo and insurance companies killed the muscle car era. I only mention this because 2008 is along way off. Too much uncertainty.
Ed

Well, we certainly have the horsepower wars all over again. The difference is that the muscle cars were somewhat mainstream cars aimed at the young male buyers. Today's high horsepower cars are aimed at a more affluent demographic, one which is a lot less likely to be deterred by high gas prices and insurance. The younger demographic today is the primary ricer crowd, and those vehicles are a lot more fuel-efficient and thus less affected by higher gas. Another concern for today's performance car enthusiast might be the ever increasing draconian traffic laws and enforcement that exact ridiculously stiff penalties for harmless fun like spinning wheels and accelerating away from traffic lights.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BWAA HAAA! You Kill me chuck! Funny [******].

-Manny