Bleeding Coolant troubles. What is the point of the fender coolant bottle?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Have you got an infrared temperature gun handy? You could try shooting a few different locations to see if the gauge is reading accurately. The upper and lower hoses are usually good spots and the temp sender if you can get to it.

OP
OP
V

viperpaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,
I think it must be my head gasket as I have fixed up a 2ltre bottle to the header in engine bay and boy is there lots of air coming out! I have pumped the top hose until all bubbles gone, thermostat now opens water rises from bottle and then floods out followed by loads of bubbles. It fills bottle from cold up and up until the bubbles come out carries on bubbling for ages (temp at 3/4 and does not go higher. and then water drops back down when bubbles stop. It does this in a cycle. I smelt the bubbles and thought I could smell exhaust fumes (hard to tell but getting a sniff test done later today to confirm.

If it is the head gasket what is the best bet, bearing in mind I do not want to increase compression as detonation is near with 10psi pulley on supercharger and a head skim will increase it so wanted a fat gasket maybe? Roe do one but it is thinner which would be a double whammy skim and thin!!

Thanks everyone for your help and advice

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,
I think it must be my head gasket as I have fixed up a 2ltre bottle to the header in engine bay and boy is there lots of air coming out! I have pumped the top hose until all bubbles gone, thermostat now opens water rises from bottle and then floods out followed by loads of bubbles. It fills bottle from cold up and up until the bubbles come out carries on bubbling for ages (temp at 3/4 and does not go higher. and then water drops back down when bubbles stop. It does this in a cycle. I smelt the bubbles and thought I could smell exhaust fumes (hard to tell but getting a sniff test done later today to confirm.

Sounds like you have constructed a rig like the funnel thing that I mentioned in my first post. What my system did after a drain and refill was expand the coolant into the funnel as it got hot, until the thermostat opened, then it went back into the tank as it purged air, and I kept it filled to the tank cap level while I burped the top hose. It seems like you are saying it does that? You say that the bubbles stop. That seems to indicate that there is not a head gasket leak? If you put the cap on after you have done this, is your cooling problem fixed or do you still have problems with the temperature gauge ******* to max temp? I guess that the sniff test will prove the head gasket theory.

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hi All,

If it is the head gasket what is the best bet, bearing in mind I do not want to increase compression as detonation is near with 10psi pulley on supercharger and a head skim will increase it so wanted a fat gasket maybe? Roe do one but it is thinner which would be a double whammy skim and thin!!

Thanks everyone for your help and advice

Heads may not need any work, could just be a faulty gasket. Wouldn't have to worry about changing any thicknesses that way, but you won't know until you get it apart (if you need to). I think Viper Specialties lists several different thickness options on the headgaskets on their website. You might check there and see what you can find for what's available at least.

OP
OP
V

viperpaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will need to get hold of a service manual and look at what gaskets I will need. I have Bellanger headers do they need a special gasket or will any viper exhaust gasket fit? Then rocker cover gaskets ARP head bolts or studs ?? Any other bits I will need? Also
does anyone know where is the best place to get a pdf of a service manual?
Cheers

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi