Blew 1 Pilot Sport tire...what to do next?

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently picked up a 2006 SRT-10 w/ 1800 miles. Unfortunately, I ran over a chard of metal tonight and blew the right rear tire. The tires are original Pilot Sport ZP and have great tread on them. Here is my dilemma:
It's been my understanding that tires only last about 5 years, so these have about 1 year left. Do I spend $500 to replace the one tire, or drop the full $2000 for a full set? If I go with the full set, I would definitely go with PS2's (I've heard all the GREAT things about them). Since PS2's are not ZP, what do you do in the event of a leak or blowout? Can of tire leak repair and a small compressor in the trunk? I know the new Vipers come from the factory w/ PS2s...are they ZP or regular?

Thanks for the input...BTW, I did search, but couldn't find good answers.

OP
OP
R

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm an idiot...didn't see the wheel/tire forum. :doh2:

I did read another post and get the general feeling that ppl don't like the ZP tires. So...my question still stands: What do the newer Vipers have instead of a spare?

For those who go the Jon B route for tires...who do you have mount them? Belle Tire or similar?

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a "spare"..... a can of inflate-o-goop and small pump is what you get in a Gen 4 - probably best to get familiar with a reliable (careful) flatbed company in your area. It's better to be carefully putting a Viper on a flatbed with a blown PS2 than to be winching it away from a telephone pole because you left the run-flats on.
(my personal 2 cents)

I did order my PS2s from Jon B and had Chuck Tator mount/balance them.. can't help with that part for your region, but surely someone can.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm sort of in the same dilemma..... I have a set of new OE six spokes I want to mount but I'm going back and forth trying to decide should I spend $1700 on a new set of PS2's or remove the ZP's from the original 10 spokes and mount them to the 6 spokes. I know the PS2's have better grip (no tracking and very little if any, spirited street driving) but I don't want to be left stranded if the tire loses pressure. Besides, the can of goop and the compressor won't help me if I have a blowout but the more serious issue is what will happen to the wheel if the tire goes flat while driving?

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you decide to replace the tires and go with a full set of new ones, you can get protection from place in the case of blowouts, leaks, nails, etc. I buy a lot of my tires off of tirerack and they have a certificate that you can buy for an exta $20 or so for each tire (the price is dependant on what tire you buy). The certificate is a full warranty down to 2/32nds of tread and they will replace the tire free of charge no matter what happens to it. That or they will refund the cost to replace. It's a pretty good deal IMO.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you decide to replace the tires and go with a full set of new ones, you can get protection from place in the case of blowouts, leaks, nails, etc. I buy a lot of my tires off of tirerack and they have a certificate that you can buy for an exta $20 or so for each tire (the price is dependant on what tire you buy). The certificate is a full warranty down to 2/32nds of tread and they will replace the tire free of charge no matter what happens to it. That or they will refund the cost to replace. It's a pretty good deal IMO.

You are referring to their Road Hazard Warranty which unfortunately (I believe), is not available on the PS2's. I have this warranty on a set a Kuhmo's I bought from them about a year ago for my Dakota.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ditch the run craps before they ditch you! ps2 under $1600

I have been told a few times that you can go into any America's Tire store, and they will sell you a tire hazzard warranty, on new tires even if sold by others!!!

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
about to click over 25,000 miles on my 08 Viper. I've had low/pressure and flats before, but never to the point I couldn't drive it to some place safe, or to the tire store. Typically they are small enough to use the compressor and go for a couple of days until I have the time to fix the flat. I'm a huge fan of the Nitto Invo's. Under $1380 installed with tax, mounted, and balanced at Discount Tire.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RANT MODE ON:
Why do people spend a ton of money for a Viper and seem to have NO money for a set of good tires? I am tired of reading that ** over and over again. :rolleyes: That little piece of rubber (contact patch) between your a** and the road surface decides upon staying on the road or flying off.

It's a Viper with 450-600 hp and not a Miata or a Toyota Prius. :drive:

Common sense!!! :eater:

OFF

P.S.: to the original poster - do NOT think about mixing ZP (front) and PS2 (rear).

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RANT MODE ON:
Why do people spend a ton of money for a Viper and seem to have NO money for a set of good tires? I am tired of reading that ** over and over again. :rolleyes: That little piece of rubber (contact patch) between your a** and the road surface decides upon staying on the road or flying off.

It's a Viper with 450-600 hp and not a Miata or a Toyota Prius. :drive:

Common sense!!! :eater:

OFF

P.S.: to the original poster - do NOT think about mixing ZP (front) and PS2 (rear).

It's because they spent all their money on the car and have little money left for tires... :lmao::lmao::lmao::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to pay shipping I'll send you a set of rear ZPs with very good tread. I'm in MA. They are date coded 3702 though. You should not replace one rear tire BTW. Tread wear would be different left to right, not good. Replace both with tires with similar tread depth. I also have fronts but one of those has been patched (professionally from the inside). And a second set with less tread.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's because they spent all their money on the car and have little money left for tires... :lmao::lmao::lmao::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh:
Yep that,s me :D But at least I can say Ive got one ;) The other factor is over here in the UK our Gas prices are just a little higher than yours ;)

Michelin tires are bloody dear, I cant afford them at the moment! we don't seem to be able to get the Kumos, we can get Toyo R888s they are a good tire but don't last as long as the Michelin PS 2s I'm still running PS 1s But I know the tires limits as they get older so don't push the car as hard as I could ;)

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>They are date coded 3702<<<

That's 8 years old tires soon. On a Viper? :pigsfly:

Admitted, I have seen 10/11 years old tires on Vipers but the owners dont care...:brainless:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>...don't push the car as hard as I could<<<

It's not you. There might be a situation (switching lanes, braking hard, ....) where you need the GRIP of good tires because of others on the road.

And, your OLD HARD NON-STICKY tires will leave you alone.

Spinning....:eater:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do understand where your coming from ;) But I'm just being totally honest and telling you where I'm at, at this moment in time. Funds are very tight for a lot of people in this recession. When I can afford some new tires I will get some ;)

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>They are date coded 3702<<<

That's 8 years old tires soon. On a Viper? :pigsfly:

Admitted, I have seen 10/11 years old tires on Vipers but the owners dont care...:brainless:

That's why I posted the date code. Mind you they've been stored in my cool dark basement so they haven't been exposed to too much UV. I actually wouldn't hesitate to put them on my Viper for just cruising around.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If stored properly (cool, dry, dark) tires can indeed last far more than the recommended 7 years. That figure is for worst-case-conditions, sitting outside or being driven on daily. These are also Z-rated tires, which usually mean more strict quality control over $59 tires for commuter cars.

I prefer Nitto INVO tires too, put them on most of my cars now. Even the 675 rwhp Viper has decent traction with them.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If stored properly (cool, dry, dark) tires can indeed last far more than the recommended 7 years. That figure is for worst-case-conditions, sitting outside or being driven on daily. These are also Z-rated tires, which usually mean more strict quality control over $59 tires for commuter cars.

I prefer Nitto INVO tires too, put them on most of my cars now. Even the 675 rwhp Viper has decent traction with them.

The Viper and Camaro looked good Friday night. Did you end up racing anyone? Thought you would be there after dinner to chat for a bit, but didn't see you.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope you have better luck if ordering a Michelin tire than I am having. Totally out of rear sport cups and there is no excuse for Michelin to get behind on production like that. PS 2s are available though.

Proshop

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would give my old set of ZP's to you for free except I wouldnt do that to a fellow Viper owner.. Seriously.....sorry.

Man up and get good tires. It's the connection between millions of dollars of R&D and the road.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The run flats were fine when the weather was warm and dry. In the cold or wet they sucked. I've tracked several Vipers with them on and when they were warm they actually felt pretty good. When the track was cold or wet they were essentially unsafe at any speed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang