Blown Stock shock? Happened before?

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was cleaning my wheels today and noticed a heavy greasy. black coating on the inside of my left rear wheel. Much thicker than the brake **** on the rest of the wheels. I then noticed the base of my l/r shock appeared oily. Is it possible to have a leaky shock at the base? Car seems to drive fine.
:confused:
Flash

OP
OP
F

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I should have given the specs. Its an 06 Coupe with only 3200 miles on it. Its seems to drive great but I can think of where else the oily gunk would be coming from and it looks like it came from the base of the shock.
:usa:
Flash

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shocks have an internal reservoir and more fluid than they need so you may not feel any difference right away. If you've cleaned it you'll notice if the oil comes back. They'll leak around the seal for the piston rod, but you indicated the leak is lower. I have seen Konis with a fill hole, plugged with a small set screw, near the bottom of the shock. Don't know if Gen 3 has this. Otherwise it's cracked or split? Usually shock oil is rather light and runny.

C.Thomson

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 06 coupe blew a shock at 500 miles. I was at Viperdays and it put me out for the weekend. The car does not handle quite the same!

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In street driving, it will be difficult to notice a single bad rear shock.

The shock could be failing and you would not necessarily know it just driving around town.

Your best indicator is the car's handling under braking. Try braking hard and see if the car pulls. If it were a front shock, it would be more apparent, but a blown rear shock will also cause the car to pull, just not so much.

It really shouldn't be leaking oil in normal use.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably worth taking to dealership. They can track down the cause of the leak, and it should be covered easily under warranty.

If your ViperTech cleanes up the messy area be sure to tip him a little. (warranty pays to R&R the part, but not for cleaning up the area.)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
My guess without seeing the car would be that the outer CV boot grease seal has failed or is seeping. This can leave a ring around your rear rim and can spread around to many things, including your shock bottoms.

Take your car to DC Performance and have them look at it.

Dan