Bob Griffith takes 1st in one mile shoot-out!

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to Bob Griffith who took first place in the SORCRACE.COM one mile shootout in Nebraska! Details are sketchy since the cell service is bad out there, but more details soon!

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the second leg of our "Triple 3" tour, Bob took top honors in the Sand Hills Mile Shoot-Out in Nebraska last weekend. He drove the West Coast Viper prepared 97 GTS to a 191.4 MPH top speed and won the event. The Viper contingent was again out-numbered by a plethora of Corvettes and other makes as participants from 23 different States converged on Callaway/Arnold, NE for the 4th Annual Sand Hills Open Road Race.

While the car was down slightly on power from last year, John Horton and crew managed to squeeze out just enough to win the event. Bob, drove the first pass at 188 MPH and was in second behind John Schmidt of Lincoln, NE who had just run 190.4 MPH in his late model Corvette. Schmidt later bettered that speed with a final run of 190.9 MPH which prompted Team Viper to make a critical move. Pressed for time, the team decided to forego the second pass and make sure the nitrous pressure was high enough for the final run. John Horton also decided that being a passenger in the car might inhibit Bob's chances for a win. Consequently, with 200 lbs of passenger ballast removed from the car and some fresh nitrous bottles, Bob lined up the Viper for the final run of the day. The Corvette guys were going crazy as their hero (John Schmidt) looked to be in a strong position to win. However, Bob tore through the gears and again destroyed the Corvette hopes for a "King of the Hill" trophy. The announcer declared "191.4 MPH and the Viper is again King of the Hill".

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I thought someone would say "congrats Bob, awesome job".

Well let me say it then, for those that have not run the 1 mile drag it takes a some nerve to stay in it for that long. It is one thing to goose it up to 150 and then back off cause "that's fast enough," but to stay in it all the way until you reach the end of the loooooonnnnngggg mile is something everyone needs to experience at least once. You'd be suprised how exciting that feeling is.

Congrats Bob, Great Job!

PS, bring that beast to the Silver State High Noon shoot out next May <grin>. We can have some fun.

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I congratulated Bob in person but I'll say it again. GREAT JOB !
He kept the Vipers on top. The official results still haven't been released yet but I think my Roe SC Viper was 3rd fastest overall, 2nd in Street Class. I ran a 189.2 mph. I thought it would be scarey, it was more exciting. My car handled so good I wanted to keep on going and it was still pulling strong. Everyone should try it even if your car is stock.

Bob David

John Johns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to both Bobs! What a great run you had Bob David, to run within 2 mph of a highly modified Viper with your Roe blower and a few bolt ons!

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to both Bobs! What a great run you had Bob David, to run within 2 mph of a highly modified Viper with your Roe blower and a few bolt ons!

I second that!! :2tu:

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aaron

I have: 7 psi, 70mm throttle bodys, Harland Sharp rockers, Edlebrock headers, Corsa 3" w/ RT cats.
I tuned for 96 octane (advanced timing 3deg more than 91oct), AFR was 11.8

Bob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960