Breaking in an 08?

vinny2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have seen a few posts, did a search, but couldn't find anything. Is there a "correct" break in period for an 08, and if so, what is it?
thanks for the help.

OP
OP
V

vinny2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok...when the car is delivered next week, i will read the owners manual and then drive it like i stole it, and all should be good!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vary your engine speeds during first 500 miles. Limit full throttle or high rpms during this time. Do not lug the engine. Just drive it consevatively.

Some recommend a early oil and filter change (1000 miles).

Congratulations on your new Viper.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats on your new viper your going to love it,first 300-500 miles just drive it easy no hard take offs,not good to stay at a certain speed for long periods of time,of all the vipers i have owned after 400-500 miles i have the oil,filter changed and than i start driving it hard and having fun.

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just bought an 08. First definately read owners manual. Seems like it would be a waste but I learned important tips by reading it. 500 miles is the official breakin period. Do not do any full throttle starts, do not exceed 4000 rpms, do not stay at same speed very long. Book even says just do posted speed limits. Now as far as oil change , I wondered same thing so called viper tech and he said was not necessary on the viper engine because they are prerun before even being put in vehicle. So use your own discretion. Book doesnt say to do it which corresponded with what tech said so I just left it alone. If you intend on letting Dodge change your oil, I bought prepaid oil changes. Normal cost is about 150 bucks for Viper. Prepaid came to 51 bucks per change-includes oil,filter,lube,parts and labor. I bought 2 changes per year assuming 6000 miles per year for 7 years-mine is not a daily driver, and that was 715 bucks. Down side is that they will expire in 7 years so... Well hope some of this helps. I just recently passed 500 miles, and love to spin tires and get into 6th gear.

OP
OP
V

vinny2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks for all the info. big help. now all i need is the car! should be here late next week, thanks to Bill P.!!!