Building a Bigger & Better Roe Supercharger system

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, this should probably go in the tech section, but I wanted to get as much feedback as possible on this topic.

I want some opinions on fitting a larger Kenne Bell supercharger unit to a Gen2.
I'm thinking the 2.6/2.8 Big Bore twin-screw could be modified to fit. Maybe a new manifold would need to be made. Maybe modifying the hood would be necessary. Maybe an intercooler could be added.
This will not be a simple swap, but can it be done and would add a whole other level of power to the Roe setup.

Ideas and suggestions welcome.
I'd like to get some more technical/logistical info on doing this as well if anyone has some.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hood would be the biggest issue I would think. If you didn't mind a 4" cowl, I think you could get a larger unit, maybe 3.3?, under the hood with great results. I would love to see a GTS with an old 671 sticking through the hood!!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
call sean before you do anything. i know he said he tried doing it but had some issues. heat was the main issue i think

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I 'thought' there were 2.6L / 2.8L versions that just used a longer housing, but were not necessarily taller. Lots of room to go horizontally if you put on a shorter snout. Can't seem to google any useful info at the moment through.

Years ago, there was a company that had pictures of a huge roots type blower on a Viper engine. Not sure what happened to them. Always thought it would be a blast to show up at the next VOI with a 14-71 sticking through the hood.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Years ago, there was a company that had pictures of a huge roots type blower on a Viper engine. Not sure what happened to them. Always thought it would be a blast to show up at the next VOI with a 14-71 sticking through the hood.

This one:

1882ViperSS3.jpg

1882ViperSS4.jpg

1882ViperSS8.jpg

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF you end up using a different manifold, try to get better air distribution to the cylinders (especially 9 and 10).

Good luck, I'd love to see someone do a larger compressor.

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
call sean before you do anything. i know he said he tried doing it but had some issues. heat was the main issue i think
one of the pluses about creating a new setup is being able to add an intercooler and thus solving the Roe's heat issues

something like this for a manifold/IC combo
You must be registered for see images

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This one:

1882ViperSS3.jpg
That's it! Have to take measurements to be sure, but I don't think it will fit without a hole in the hood :D Actually from the looks of it, the entire SC and part of the intake manifold would be sticking out.

Speaking of clearance, the Diamondback hood gives about 2" more vertical clearance to work with.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be interesting... I wonder if all the money and effort for something like this would benefit, or would it be best to just go with some turbos that you know will put down the power.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
one of the pluses about creating a new setup is being able to add an intercooler and thus solving the Roe's heat issues

something like this for a manifold/IC combo
You must be registered for see images

IIRC, 1badGTS knows a guy who did an intercooler for his rowe recently, ask him about it. i think the guy had the work done here in NJ. if the guy has parts around or the rowe car, id go snap some pics of it for ya. let me know

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Roe has been ported, has a 12# pulley with a Weaver overdrive crank pulley, (14# boost) water ****, CO2..... Everything possible....Runs good

But,... after driving a Turbo. All the time spent on the S/c was almost a waste of money. There is no comparison.
The TT's a regular car until 3000RPMs.. then spools up to over 1000 HP....
On pump gas and Air conditioning....

Dollar for dollar, if you want big power and efficient high performance... Turbo charging is the only way to go....PERIOD.

IMO... from personal experience ...:D

And more important, from personal time and expense with both....

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IIRC, 1badGTS knows a guy who did an intercooler for his rowe recently, ask him about it. i think the guy had the work done here in NJ. if the guy has parts around or the rowe car, id go snap some pics of it for ya. let me know
I'm not sure if I really him. He doesn't seem like the most honest guy. If he wants to come on here and prove me wrong, that would be great.
Thanks for the offer though Phil :)

OP
OP
B

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Roe has been ported, has a 12# pulley with a Weaver overdrive crank pulley, (14# boost) water ****, CO2..... Everything possible....Runs good

But,... after driving a Turbo. All the time spent on the S/c was almost a waste of money. There is no comparison.
The TT's a regular car until 3000RPMs.. then spools up to over 1000 HP....
On pump gas and Air conditioning....

Dollar for dollar, if you want big power and efficient high performance... Turbo charging is the only way to go....PERIOD.

IMO... from personal experience ...:D

And more important, from personal time and expense with both....
I understand completely. I rode in a TT car and it was crazy. However, the power seems a little useless on the street. It all comes on at once and is almost uncontrollable.

You say it would be cheaper, but if we can find a way to upgrade the Roe setup, or design something new, it wouldn't cost much more than a new Roe kit. You can't buy a reliable TT kit for less than twice the price of a Roe kit, and the Roe kit is way easier to install for the DIY guy than turbos.
I appreciate all the hard work you have put into your setup. It looks like you are doing everything imaginable to get as much power out of the current Roe kit as possible. I can't wait to see how it does and what #s you finally put down.
But just think, if we can come up with a system that takes care of many of the faults of the Roe kit, then we can run more boost, and an IC, and be more efficient.

In my mind, an upgraded Roe S/C will be in the 800-1000rwhp range (and who knows how much tq :omg:), but it will be reliable and easy to work on. It will be a little more difficult as a DIY project than the current kit, with a little more fab work and cutting - perhaps like the Paxton. It will certainly cost more than the current Roe kit. It may require modifying the stock hood, or the optional purchase of custom hood. It may also require an AEM or SCT to tune it. The fuel system will obviously need upgraded as well. It won't be for everyone, and I think there will still be a market for the original Roe S/C kit.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand completely. I rode in a TT car and it was crazy. However, the power seems a little useless on the street. It all comes on at once and is almost uncontrollable.

You say it would be cheaper, but if we can find a way to upgrade the Roe setup, or design something new, it wouldn't cost much more than a new Roe kit. You can't buy a reliable TT kit for less than twice the price of a Roe kit, and the Roe kit is way easier to install for the DIY guy than turbos.
I appreciate all the hard work you have put into your setup. It looks like you are doing everything imaginable to get as much power out of the current Roe kit as possible. I can't wait to see how it does and what #s you finally put down.
But just think, if we can come up with a system that takes care of many of the faults of the Roe kit, then we can run more boost, and an IC, and be more efficient.

In my mind, an upgraded Roe S/C will be in the 800-1000rwhp range (and who knows how much tq :omg:), but it will be reliable and easy to work on. It will be a little more difficult as a DIY project than the current kit, with a little more fab work and cutting - perhaps like the Paxton. It will certainly cost more than the current Roe kit. It may require modifying the stock hood, or the optional purchase of custom hood. It may also require an AEM or SCT to tune it. The fuel system will obviously need upgraded as well. It won't be for everyone, and I think there will still be a market for the original Roe S/C kit.

You are probably correct. The Roe type set up is more DIY..

The problems start with the "might as wells"...
For example... since your already changing intakes, might as well do the heads. If your pulling the heads, might as well change pistons......
That's how it starts......:dunno:

I remember a couple years ago there was a thread about a company that was testing a larger "roots" blower on a Viper. I did a search but can't find it. I thought I saved it. I will check my computer at home.

Anybody remember that thread?

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i think you can raise up the rear brackets for the hood about an inch. might give you enough room to put on a 3.3 that is used in the viper trucks. probably an easy swap and if you can run 12# boost you could probably put down over 750 on pump gas.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think you can raise up the rear brackets for the hood about an inch. might give you enough room to put on a 3.3 that is used in the viper trucks. probably an easy swap and if you can run 12# boost you could probably put down over 750 on pump gas.

The hood would look ridiculous with a 1 inch lift in the back.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nick at MODERN PERF (732)222-3679 has a custom intercooler which flows gallons of coolant =Dramatically lowers inlet air temp over the water injection set up.(he will custom build you one to fit under the stock hood.It isnt cheap but works well in race applications )

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang