BUSTED

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Virginia is a **** state. I would never live there just on the facts of how they treat speeders. Complete waste of tax payer's money and nothing but BS. Absolutely pathetic how that state handles things.

*I will add I have never gotten a speeding ticket in VA, so this isn't just "sour grapes". Its how I feel when states put all their emphasis on speeders and zero on real crime.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good friend of mine spent 30 days in jail for doing 116 in a 55.

What the? . Even 30 days in jail seams excessive.

I can not say that I have not used similar bad judgement; but, was given a free pass for some reason. After that, I do understand the need. Lets just say that your daughter with her 1 year old pulled out of that driveway just past that group of trees without expecting the car that is usually approaching at 55, doing 116. If the accident killed them, you would call it ******, unless she had been texting at the time, then its just an unforseeable accident.

Unfortunately, it seems to take an incident like an accident, or a buddy going to jail for some of us to wise up. If he had been doing 65; and, blew a 0.18, would the thoughts about excessive punishment be different?

I am not talking about the entrapment scenarios spoken here, just the admitted felony speeding.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can not say that I have not used similar bad judgement; but, was given a free pass for some reason. After that, I do understand the need. Lets just say that your daughter with her 1 year old pulled out of that driveway just past that group of trees without expecting the car that is usually approaching at 55, doing 116. If the accident killed them, you would call it ******, unless she had been texting at the time, then its just an unforseeable accident.

Unfortunately, it seems to take an incident like an accident, or a buddy going to jail for some of us to wise up. If he had been doing 65; and, blew a 0.18, would the thoughts about excessive punishment be different?

I am not talking about the entrapment scenarios spoken here, just the admitted felony speeding.

Am I the only one not getting this logic?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twenty plus years ago when I was dumb and street racing, the cops would cruise the streets posing as street racers. They would would taunt you into a race then their buddies in black and whites would pull you over. My buddy got nailed this way, however at the time you'd just get a ticket for "speed contest". That was a two point mandatory court ticket, now they haul your butt to jail and in some cases they crush your car. Good times............

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay this is the second time this is happening to me. In the post above the word "street" shows up back to back in the first sentence. As written in typing it shows up once, yet once it posts up it's "street street". I can't correct it in "edit" either.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, is the attorney suggesting that, getting a receipt or some other documentation, that "proves" the speedometer is off-calibration thus the OP didn't know how fast they were really going in order to get out of the ticket? Is this correct?

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay this is the second time this is happening to me. In the post above the word "street" shows up back to back in the first sentence. As written in typing it shows up once, yet once it posts up it's "street street". I can't correct it in "edit" either.
This is only in the editor. It doesn't show up when you submit the new post.
It just duplicates the last couple words in the upper line and sorta overlaps them starting on the next new line.
It's just the way the code is written probably to compensate for so many various resolutions on different monitors.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, is the attorney suggesting that, getting a receipt or some other documentation, that "proves the speedometer is off-calibration thus the OP didn't know how fast they were really going in order to get out of the ticket? Is this correct?
My guess is he's teetering right on the border of being either just above or just below that critical "20 mph over the limit" mark.

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
20 over is reckless in Virginia.

However, ANYTHING over 80 is also reckless, so that sweet 70 MPH speed limit on I81 does not get you 90 without reckless. 81 is reckless on I81.

Goatman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I lived in Va for a while, I got my share of tickets. But the cops there are as strict as anywhere in my opinion. Add the 55mph limit in most areas is enough to make you go crazy add that with the lack of counter-measures allowed in Va and the radar detector detectors and it doesn´t leave much room for error.

Also the court system doesn´t put up with BS. Best bet is get your ducks in a row and be as straight forward as possible.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Virginia is a **** state. I would never live there just on the facts of how they treat speeders. Complete waste of tax payer's money and nothing but BS. Absolutely pathetic how that state handles things.

*I will add I have never gotten a speeding ticket in VA, so this isn't just "sour grapes". Its how I feel when states put all their emphasis on speeders and zero on real crime.

My gripe with VA is the property tax you pay on your vehicle every year. It is criminal.

You pay 3% on your vehicles KBB value, every.single.year.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Chad on this one, Virgina is a **** state. I go out of my way to avoid that messed up state at all costs. Good luck on the ticket.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmmm, they make cars that exceed the speed limit, bars that you can drive to and get drunk, seems like a set up, no?

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The old "eye for an eye" form of punishment was proportional. A year in jail for speeding is not proportional. IMO, tossing speeders (and first major speeding ticket in his case) into jail is not a cost effective way to curb speeding. Taking away the driver's license for six months is pretty tough (which VA did), and they could have slapped a fine on top (they did that too). Those two items would have given my friend the incentive to not speed on public roads -- all without costing the VA taxpayers the cost of his incarceration and daily medical care.

I-81 is notorious for VA HP speed traps. The troopers are pretty creative in hiding their cruisers along that highway.

And yes, I remember the VA vehicle property tax. It didn't matter what you paid for the vehicle, it was what the county said it was worth. NC has a property tax too...I think I paid $120 or so for my Viper last year.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In VA I just set my cruise control and go.

I went to Tech, driving down from DC off and on for four years straight on I-81, not a ticket. I think 99% of that is I was lucky (I also learned to watch truckers and see when they start following the speed limit to a T). Though, one time driving back at 11PM at night up to MD to visit my then GF, I had this huge light appear OVER my car. I thought it was aliens, then I remembered VA also does aerial speed checks. I almost **** myself.

NoVA, not much luck getting a ticket, it is rush hour every hour of the day! :drive:

But I agree with CEJ, the punishment is not commensurate with the "crime." It is insanity. Hell, you get less time with a DUI!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is only in the editor. It doesn't show up when you submit the new post.
It just duplicates the last couple words in the upper line and sorta overlaps them starting on the next new line.
It's just the way the code is written probably to compensate for so many various resolutions on different monitors.

It's not in Editor, it's in my post #36. I tried to fix it with editor after the fact. Editor shows one "street", once out of editor it remains doubled.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My gripe with VA is the property tax you pay on your vehicle every year. It is criminal.

You pay 3% on your vehicles KBB value, every.single.year.

Double-U-Tee-Eff. So if you bought a 2013 B/W GTS for $140K, you have to pay $4k in tax the first year, and about $30K total over the course of ten years, figuring it's worth $60k by then?
So every year I would have to pay over $2k just to keep my two old Vipers? I would move, or register those cars out of state. Buy a house in Detroit for $1 and transfer your driver's license and registrations here. The taxes you pay on a house worth $5k in Detroit would be cheaper. That's messed up. Who made that law and why do people there tolerate it?

As far as speeding goes, as long as it was on a highway and not a residential area, a simple $500 ticket for going 100+MPH would suffice. Putting people in jail, costing the taxpayers money, all for what? Driving Drunk is a crime because you are not in control of the vehicle. Going 100+MPH doesn't mean you're not in control of the vehicle. When he crashes doing 100+MPH then toss him in jail, because he wasn't in control of the vehicle.

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, this thread is all over the place. I dont know what you guys are talking about and its funny how the OP(Roy) is giving advice and telling stories that dont pertain to his original question.

:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, this thread is all over the place. I dont know what you guys are talking about and its funny how the OP(Roy) is giving advice and telling stories that dont pertain to his original question.

:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

I like it!! But that's how my mind works so it seems normal ;):confused::crazy2:

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was told a story by a local. Virginia state troopers use confiscated cars to join in with car club caravans. We things look clear and the hammer goes down, the undercover car will call in ten or twenty buddies for back up.

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. It wouldn't surprise me if there are a few undercovers joined up on this site screening the calendars for caravan dates. If I were you guys, I would keep those invitations amongst friends. A year in the can for speeding...Pffff! You guys pay for those roads! Call your congressman and get those punishments shifted to a lower form of misdemeanor. There's nothing more **** than petty undercover crap on the intent of cruel and unusual punishment...all it does is make everyone paranoid of everyone else.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was told a story by a local. Virginia state troopers use confiscated cars to join in with car club caravans. We things look clear and the hammer goes down, the undercover car will call in ten or twenty buddies for back up.

Wow.
Just think if they spent that kind of time, money, and effort trying to stop crime.
Real crime.
Jeez

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '08 cost me $2270 in property tax this year. KBB of $58k.

My other 4 vehicles all combined didn't cost that.

I made the mistake of asking the wife to pay the bill. :smirk: