.....But will it take ABUSE?

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went through the archives and there are a lot of posts from other shoppers who ask how the Viper hold up mechanically over time. The answers are all very positive.

But then I realized that a large # of owners haven't broken 20k yet. If I get a Viper, I intend to drive it a LOT. Certainly 5k a year, maybe as much as 10+ if possible.

To those of you who own Vipers in the 20k+ (the higher milage the better) how has your Viper held up?

I am going to get a low miles car but want to see how the Vipers that are driven HARDhold up.

How many miles does your Viper have and other than oil, plugs, brakes and tires - what have you had to replace on it so far for reasons other than to upgrade?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
55,000 on my 98 RT/10. Many 165+mph runs, tracks and dragstrips. Fixed an oil leak at the fitting on the oil cooler at 35k. Still running as strong as the day I got it.

97 GTS. 30K+ Track mostly, dragstrip and street some. Motor has never had a wrench on it.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 98 has almost 50k miles!!!! And 650 ponies on motor only!
Plus, I go through about a bottle a month of NOS. Close to 800RWHP on the gas.

Problems? NONE. Now I need to go knock on wood.

Regards,

ubnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am right at 22,000 miles and the only thing I had to replace was the coolant crossover housing. It seems it was a problem for my year. Other than that...just tires. Still runs great and no other problems yet....
supergrin.gif
I drive mine on the street only..no road courses or drag strips! Good Luck!

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:

Motor has never had a wrench on it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We won't say anything about the steering rack though...

wink.gif

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
97 GTS. 30K+ Track mostly, dragstrip and street some. Motor has never had a wrench on it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nor a coat of Zaino!!!!!!!!!!

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper has 23K miles on it.

A local mechanic I know and trust replaced the air conditioner compressor. Charged me about $1200.

Tires. Strut lifts on the rear window. New battery.

Otherwise no problems.

Its only been out of commision for about 2 days out of the last 4 years for the airconditioning. Its started every time. Drives great. Attracts lots of attention.

Going on about 4 years and have never had so few problems with an exotic. This includes RX7, 3000SR4, 944T, 993C4, 993TT.

If a mechanic is good and works on domestic cars he can fix a Viper without too much trouble. It helps around here since Dirt Track racing is so popular its a show of pride for a mechanic to have his car doing well. If he's not any good its pretty obvious on Saturday night.

rhansenjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '94 has been used as a touring car. Never really abused. Been on the track a few times, but driven pretty easily there too. With 23,000 miles covered it still has the original plugs, tires and brakes. Oil and filter changed every spring. That's been it.