Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here goes a long rant..

maybe Im way off base but here goes...

Sure a Z06 with a few options is around 80K
Sure a coupe is around 90K

Maybe in Hawaii?

Here in the states, a brand new Z06 can be bought for $8-10K off of MSRP. I paid $64K for my brand new 2009 Z06, and it is the 2LZ not the stripped model. Just FYI. Comparable Viper coupe is easily $25-30K more here.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'm stuck between a C6Z and a Gen 3 also.

The C6Z has been my dream car for awhile now, and on paper it's great. I just wish it were a convertible. The Viper looks great and is a vert. Sweet. I don't care about the Viper attention. I don't think it would bother me, but I also don't give a crap about being the only kid on the block with a cool toy. I want to enjoy driving an awesome piece of american machinery.

I love the Gen 3/4 and I've had a Viper poster on my wall since they've existed, but I wonder how much of a pain they are for daily duties. I'd have another car for winter or for rain, but basically my goal would be to drive my real car (viper or c6z) every day during the spring/summer/fall. Are they really that bad to drive every day?

Another question: I'm 6'3...am I going to be too tall and driving with the sun visor in my face?

I've daily driven an 11 second Camaro with a big cam, etc, and I understand about being easy on the throttle in a big hp car with no nannies. If you're careful is the Viper Bite still an issue? Say you rev match a little bit off, will the tires spin? I respect the Viper Bite, but I'd also like to be able to go WOT on empty straights on the street sometimes. Otherwise what's the point of 500 hp?

I also wonder about the performance. I'd be doing bolt ons to my car, and maybe a cam. With a C6Z bolt ons can get to 480-500whp and 520-560ish with a cam. What kind of numbers can a gen 3 make with similar mods?

I'm asking all this because I like the idea of a visceral car. I have a '95 M3 for when I need something cushy or for bad weather.

Thanks for the help!

lilgookiemonsta

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The C6Z has been my dream car for awhile now, and on paper it's great. I just wish it were a convertible. The Viper looks great and is a vert. Sweet. I don't care about the Viper attention. I don't think it would bother me, but I also don't give a crap about being the only kid on the block with a cool toy. I want to enjoy driving an awesome piece of american machinery.

I love the Gen 3/4 and I've had a Viper poster on my wall since they've existed, but I wonder how much of a pain they are for daily duties. I'd have another car for winter or for rain, but basically my goal would be to drive my real car (viper or c6z) every day during the spring/summer/fall. Are they really that bad to drive every day?

Another question: I'm 6'3...am I going to be too tall and driving with the sun visor in my face?

I've daily driven an 11 second Camaro with a big cam, etc, and I understand about being easy on the throttle in a big hp car with no nannies. If you're careful is the Viper Bite still an issue? Say you rev match a little bit off, will the tires spin? I respect the Viper Bite, but I'd also like to be able to go WOT on empty straights on the street sometimes. Otherwise what's the point of 500 hp?

I also wonder about the performance. I'd be doing bolt ons to my car, and maybe a cam. With a C6Z bolt ons can get to 480-500whp and 520-560ish with a cam. What kind of numbers can a gen 3 make with similar mods?

I'm asking all this because I like the idea of a visceral car. I have a '95 M3 for when I need something cushy or for bad weather.

Thanks for the help!

For daily driving, honestly I'd choose the Z06. It has more creature comforts then the Viper and is more comfortable to be in but if you can live without it then Viper all the way!

I'm 6'1" and I have no problem seeing everything in sight. I took off the sun visors and that gave me about a 1" of more windshield to look through. A popular mod is a seat lowering kit so that can also be an option if you still think you're too tall for the car.

The Viper bite is rough on the car but mainly because you have a flat torque band starting at 1500-2000 rpms. However, you won't break the tires loose if you miss a simple revvmatch (unless you have really crappy/bald/runflat tires). Just be sure to have nice rubber on all 4 corners at all times and you should be fine. Also, I recommend that you drive the car in above 50 degree weather cuz anything below and your tires won't have traction.

For a GEN3, all you can pretty much do for N/A is bolt-ons and a tune. Best you can get (and I'm being lenient) is 500whp and a lot more torque. If you want easy gains, the LS7 is the way to go. If you want serious power N/A, you're looking at at least $10k of parts but that should get you 650whp.

Hope this helps!

2003 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For daily driving, honestly I'd choose the Z06. It has more creature comforts then the Viper and is more comfortable to be in but if you can live without it then Viper all the way.

Also the ZO6 drives great in the rain where the Viper will go sideways if you just tap your foot.

You must be registered for see images attach

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ great pic!

Honestly, we all know that you're asking here because you not-so secretly want us to convince you to get the Viper. All I can say is...if you want to make the "logical" choice then buy a Subaru.

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also the ZO6 drives great in the rain where the Viper will go sideways if you just tap your foot.

Agreed!!

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good God man! A pit built into your garage? Not to mention completely covering the walls and ceiling in diamondplate? NICE!

2003 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WOW, now that is a garage my friend!:) :usa:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the help!

Gotta agree with lilgookiemonster...intake/headers/exhaust/light weight flywheel/lightweight underdrive pulley/throttle body/ported manifold/tune may get you around 510 rwhp over the 440 stock rwhp..

To your 11 second cammed camaro comment....YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!!!

I had an 380 rwhp cammed and bolt on C5 vette...I figured..Well 380 rwhp and 3280 pounds for my vette and now Im tradeing it in on this stock 99 rt10 viper with 400 rwhp but 100 pounds heavier at 3390 pounds...So same power to weight ratio and no big deal..

No BS after two years of driving that vette without ever a hint of loseing it, the very first stop sighn I came to after purchaseing my Viper ..........

I got the rpm's around 2500 and slowly made a left turn from the stop sign. Next thing I know the Viper is doing a 360 right in the middle of the intersection. Luckily it was late at night and their was no traffic. I came within 3 feet of a light pole as the car finally stopped...

Same power to weight ratio maybe. But the low end tourque of the Viper was probally 200 more rwt at 2500 rpm's then what the vette made at that low rpm..Thats what will get you

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the help!

My suggestion would be to buy a convertible Grand Sport, add a $5,000 ProCharger and destroy any stock Z06 or Gen3. Just my opinion.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the help!

To answer some of your questions. I'm 6 4 and drive my gen III about 7k a year. I feel just fine, but I'm not that picky when dealing with ride quality with sports cars.

Daily Duties. Probably one of the easiest cars you can ever work on. Their simplicity makes them very reliable, for and exotic, which the vette is not.

Bolt on numbers see my signature

Viper bite. Remove the run-flats and put on PS2's or Nitto Invos. 70 + degrees with a little heat in the tire, Viper bite is all but eliminated, on Gen III's.

Yes the Vette is easier to live with, but Vipers are by no means troublesome.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is a simpler car than the Vette thus more reliable. As far as your height, I think a bigger factor is your proportions - if you have a tall upper body, you might run into trouble with the top of the windshield. The Viper can be a daily driver unless you get snow and ice.

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if a cell phone would even work inside that shine palace??

Very nicely done :2tu::usa:....are those tiles on the floor?

Cheers,
George
Thanks and yes, indeed they are - checkerplate composite too.
Cellphones, alarm remotes work perfectly in there, or passing through there to the RF receivers located beyond those walls, although I don't know why. There must be a millimeter of uncovered wall I can't see - LOL. What doesn't work, is the remote sensor for my weather station...which I like to have in winter so I know what the temps are in the garage. There's a 2-stage heat pump with a gas blower to maintain temps in summer and winter...

Lighting consists of 10 T5 4-bulb fixtures and 1 T5 6-bulb fixture putting a gazillion lumens to the ground...just to keep things nice and bright. You can and do get a suntan from overexposure in that garage. LOL

The garage is in my home - in Quebec. Unfortunately for me - it's winter here now...and nothing goes out of there until April. There is however - a 2005 Ford GT on its way to me now, which will be the latest addition to the garage, or the "hanger" as my G/F refers to it. (She's a commercial pilot):rolaugh:

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everybody.

I'll just have to test drive both and see which would be a better toy. I already know that I will love the Z06...the question is will I love the Viper more? Maybe. It will really depend on this: will the quirks of the viper like visibility and cabin heat annoy me, or will it be so fun and raw that I just don't care? We will see.

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cabin heat's not an issue...but the Z makes a much better DD. If I had to choose, it'd be the Z, but the Viper's in a class by itself. It does everything the Z does, but better braking /handling and road feel, not to mention the ear to ear grin when you get in one. Comfort wise, there's is no real comparison IMO. The Viper will bite you when you aren't careful, whereas the Z will just yawn and take care of you. You can matt a pedal on the Z without much thought, but you don't want to try that in a Viper.

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that diamond plate aluminum or steel? I dig that look!
Thanks - It was done in aluminum...I would love to have done stainless, but it was like 10X the price and not worth the differnce...and I used a good 70 4x8 sheets...

Stainless would have cost about 70k for the materials and has a nasty tendency towards marking and scratching - just from touching it.

I was looking at different materials to do this in, and the diamond plate was around the same as plastic panels cost-wise, so it was a no-brainer.

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Coming straight from a vette and sitting in the Viper my first impression was - holy **** this interior is CRAMPED! Of my friends & family that have sat in the car... that's generally the first thing out of their mouth. Past that, there's little to consider as a compromise with the Viper.

It comes down to personal preference, but I was willing to live with the tight interior space for the thrill of owning one of these cars. My Lingenfelter vette was faster - but I'd choose the Viper hands down everytime.

Having said that - the car is not for everyone. My buddy has a new C63 AMG and he was a bit turned off by the Viper. It's definitely not a car that pampers or can go incognito to the local club. You're dating a sociopath when you get the Viper!

Thanks for the advice everybody.

I'll just have to test drive both and see which would be a better toy. I already know that I will love the Z06...the question is will I love the Viper more? Maybe. It will really depend on this: will the quirks of the viper like visibility and cabin heat annoy me, or will it be so fun and raw that I just don't care? We will see.

Last edited:

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Correction - you are the sociopath if you get the Viper.

so·ci·o·path   
[soh-see-uh-path]
–noun
a person, as a psychopathic personality, whose behavior is antisocial and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21