Calling all Viper CS (Shelby Edition Viper) Owners

96ViperCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the VCA and forums and recently acquired a 1996 RT/10 Viper CS. Looking for other owners and/or as much information as I can get about these cars. I have a decent binder of paperwork that indicates that while there was originally a target to produce 50 of these cars, it seems that the actual production was considerably lower than that. A build sheet from Fitzgerald indicates that 19 of these cars were built in 95/96. Six 1995s were built (all white) and Thirteen 1996s (9 White, 3 blue, and 1 black). It seems that some additional GTS cars were built in 97/98 but I don't have any information about how many, colors, etc.

I also found it interesting that one owner seemed to have 2 cars. He owned car #6 and car #33 (both blue). There doesn't appear to be a car #12 so I speculate that this gentleman purchased the 12th car but is involved in racing or something and requested that his car be numbered #33 instead. Purely trying to read between the lines and would love it if someone knew the story. Does a car #12 exist?

Anyone happen to have any dealer literature or anything on these cars that they would like to sell? Pictures of the production process or cars in the Fitzgerald sales room? Trying to add to my documentation.

I have car #10 which I am told is the only black one and the only one with Sneaky Pete on the hood. I see from other posts on this forum that this may have been Dan Fitzgerald's personal demonstrator. Any insights anyone can provide on this car in particular would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Shelby Viper Driver Front.jpg
    Shelby Viper Driver Front.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 282
  • Shelby Viper Fitzerald Tag.jpg
    Shelby Viper Fitzerald Tag.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Shelby Viper Signature Dash.jpg
    Shelby Viper Signature Dash.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 198
  • Shelby Viper Front.jpg
    Shelby Viper Front.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 217

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only 25 of these cars were built between 1995 and 1996. It is unknown how many RT/10 or GTS cars were made out the 25 total cars produced.

So far, Black, Red and White Shelby Vipers are known to exist.

All Shelby Vipers were built at Fitzgerald Motorsports in New Hampshire.

Carroll Shelby's signature can be found on the glove box door, sail panel, or front fender.

Bumbles

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very cool car. How many miles are on it and do you have the owner history?

OP
OP

96ViperCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I found the listing on Ebay and ended up purchasing the car from the two gentlemen that had it listed. It was in New Jersey and is now located in colorful Colorado. The car currently has 8800 miles and I do have some of the ownership history. The first owner of record purchased it in June 1997 from Fitzgerald. The car had 1332 miles on it at the time and he traded in an 88 Ferrari GTS for it. Given the 1332 miles, I think the post that indicated this may have been Dan Fitzgerald's demonstrator may have merit.

The car title that I have, indicates that the original owner assigned title to a Corvette dealer in New England. I guess this would make me the 3rd official owner. Seems like a pretty rare car and I am a big Shelby fan from a collector point-of-view. It's great to see such an active forum! Gonna make this a fun hobby! Thanks to all.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pics of your cars are very hard to come by. if you get the time, take a bunch and send them my way so i can add them to the registry if it is ok with you.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I know that car. I'm checking now to make sure.

96ViperCS, I think I might have seen pictures of your car in the show room. I'll see if I can find them. Where in CO are you? I'm heading to Co Springs this week to visit my sister. I'd love to see your car in person.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a little confused about these Fitzgerald cars, didn't Dan order some cars and pay Carroll Shelby the going rate of $200 or whatever to sign all the gloveboxes then he put a decal outside, BUT were these actually built as a Carroll Shelby Special by Dodge or just a dealer done thing???

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the Blue /white RT/10 was totaled. The owner had another built to replace it. When I talked to Dan Fitzgerald last, He indicated there was only one Blue/white Shelby RT. Originally Dan Fitzgerald, of Fitzgerald Motorsports and Carroll Shelby, who is a longtime friend of Dans, team up to modify the viper. They wanted to add some features for show and go. Fisrt, the opened the front grill to look like the old cobra grill. They added some cobra looking stripes. No wonder the blue stripes look like a Cobra color!
Next, they added a few performance items such as more gear, 373s, K@N filters, tuned exhaust, hi-po wires, different wheels and racing belts and a few other items. The plan was to build 50, but when the new GTS model arrived, they cut the number to 25, but actually built 19 of the CS RT/10.
In 1996, They decided to do some mods to the GTS making Shelby GTS. This first car was done personally for Dan Fitzgerald. It was a Red with Gold stripes, Gold wheels and Gold badging. Originally, they built the first one, and planned to build 25 total. However, for reasons I won't elaborate on only one Shelby GTS was ever made. I purchased this car new (untitled) from Dan Fitzgerald in 1997/1998. I still own this rare car today.
A Couple of CS Vipers and the CS GTS were featured at Shelbys Plant in Vegas during VOI #5. Mr. Shelby had to cancel his trip to the Shelby plant that week due to health,
but Dan Fitzgerald hosted the plant tour at the Shelby plant. I have lots of pics, but don't
have the means to post them. If I can be of any more help, please ask. Thanks, Tim

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I know that car. I'm checking now to make sure.

96ViperCS, I think I might have seen pictures of your car in the show room. I'll see if I can find them. Where in CO are you? I'm heading to Co Springs this week to visit my sister. I'd love to see your car in person.

Thats Tims car, he is a New England member, He is our performance Director with a 1998 Shelby Edition GTS.

FLX109

Last edited:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SNKBYT, if your pics are digital, send them my way. i can post them and would love to have them for the registry.

BTW - very nice info and write up!

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SNKBYT, if your pics are digital, send them my way. i can post them and would love to have them for the registry.

BTW - very nice info and write up!

Here's one Tim, I didn't think you would mind if I throw one of your pictures up there, sweet car:

7MG_8791.jpg

Last edited:

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too have seen a Shelby GTS. Not sure if this is the same one as above but the one I saw had SSR's on it.

--RS

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP

96ViperCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beautiful GTS! And a great write-up as well. Thanks for the information. As part of the documentation on my car, I received a production list for all the 95/96 CS Vipers. It specifies the color and year but unfortunately not the model (RT/10 vs GTS). It also included the names and addresses for all the owners which I have whited out to protect the lucky. Thought this might be useful to other CS Owners so I have scanned it for your reference. Anyone have a similar one for the 97/98+ production years? Sorry, having trouble uploading the image. Will work on it and submit later.

Last edited:

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so are those pictures all of the same GTS? I thought SNKBYT said only one was made so they must be?

OP
OP

96ViperCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. Trying this again. Here is the total production list for 95 and 96. Notice that there isn't a car #12, wonder why? Also it seems that one gentleman owned 2 and was able to get one of his cars numbered #33. I'm sure there is an interesting story behind this somewhere. Any owners out there that can fill in the model for theirs? Tim, what number is your car? I have #10 and it is a Black RT/10.

Still looking for any documentation people have on these. Anyone have a standard 96 Viper RT/10 Dealer Brochure for sale? I think the brochures were white in color with some inserts. I saw one on ebay a while ago but missed it.

Attachments

• Shelby Viper Production 95_96.pdf
    10.4 KB · Views: 76

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Bill for posting the pics.
Same car, with my SSR rims and Mich pilot cups. I am trying to keep the original rims nice when I go out and play.
The car is #1. It was the only Shelby GTS Viper made.
Big-n-Italian I'll try to get a few pics to you for your registry. Please Email me your address.
I may have some more facts/info on these CS vipers if any one is interested.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. Trying this again. Here is the total production list for 95 and 96. Notice that there isn't a car #12, wonder why? Also it seems that one gentleman owned 2 and was able to get one of his cars numbered #33. I'm sure there is an interesting story behind this somewhere. Any owners out there that can fill in the model for theirs? Tim, what number is your car? I have #10 and it is a Black RT/10.

Still looking for any documentation people have on these. Anyone have a standard 96 Viper RT/10 Dealer Brochure for sale? I think the brochures were white in color with some inserts. I saw one on ebay a while ago but missed it.
How long have you owned it? Did you try to sell it at the AC Auction a few years ago or didn't you own it that long. The one I saw was a little rough and definitely a driver.

OP
OP

96ViperCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased it. It is in very good condition in my opinion with only 8800 miles. A couple small rock chips on the front but other than that very clean. Are you sure this is the car you saw for sale at AC auction? Did it have a big Sneaky Pete on the front hood? I believe this is the only black one and the only one with Sneaky on the hood so should be fairly easy to differentiate.

J.Bailey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own #12. It does exist. I collect all things....

Shelby and tried to buy a Shelby Viper for three years. I have 4 Shelby's now. My Shelby Viper is one of the 3 blue cars with white stripes. Spoke with the people at Fitzgerald about it and they confirmed that there was a #12 and that it was still in existence as far as they knew. Anything else that I can provide please let me know. Have a great weekend.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember seeing this red/gold at several Viper events....Dan was always a great person to meet and talk with....I am curious IF a car dealer makes special mods...it strikes me that the car may have only the additional value that the consumer is willing to pay BUT to me when a stock car is modified, then I feel it is not as valuable . Seems that Yenko did this in Pennsylvania many years ago with Chevelles and Novas ??!!(But for some reason they had some added value to ONLY certain buyers) The other reason about value is, when it hasn't been done at the factory, the audit trail stops because anyone can put anything on the car and then label it "unique " and "one-of-a-kind"...yea, if we follow this logic, every Viper that has different odometer readings is unique. Also the idea of having someone sign a car is very neat idea BUT does it really add value to the vehicle across the board OR just to a particular buyer has to be willing to step up and pay extra for the privilege ?? Recently someone posted all the "unique vipers or one of a kinds built" and it is almost as many as the total cars built. The Vipers with airbrushed hoods are cool, but are they worth the added value PLUS to be realistic, you have a hard time getting one of these cars insured as well. Just my $.02

OP
OP

96ViperCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I own #12. It does exist. I collect all things....

Shelby and tried to buy a Shelby Viper for three years. I have 4 Shelby's now. My Shelby Viper is one of the 3 blue cars with white stripes. Spoke with the people at Fitzgerald about it and they confirmed that there was a #12 and that it was still in existence as far as they knew. Anything else that I can provide please let me know. Have a great weekend.
Congratulations on your purchase. Do you have any pictures you can post? What year and model is yours (RT/10 or GTS)? Any idea who the original owner was?

I just saw a blue one for sale that was the lead car in a DVD called "Street Fury: Homeland Security".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpSufvrCfY4

Is this your car? It was in California.

CS14

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi guys, old thread but....

I have no.14 since 2 1/2 year; it’s an RT/10CS from -96 (white and blue)with full history and documentation.

Do you all have kept your cars? It would be nice to have closer contact with other owners of these cars so feel free to post me your email address, that’s a good start.

/Peter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang