Camshaft for a Gen 1

NorthCaliViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone put a aftermarket camshaft in there Gen1. What are the specs. How does it run. I have BPE stage 4 heads. Good headers. I just want it for street racing. Any suggestions on which way I should go.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can have a custom camshaft done to your own choice of specifications. 700-800 bucks.
Do you have headers?
Rockers?
What springs do you have? (spring values, seated/open, coilbinding...)
Is your valve shafts longer then stock?
etc etc...
There is many questions to be answered before you make a decision about Camshaft.
Yes, there is a lot of Gen1 Vipers with mild up to wild camshafts out there. Just let us know more about your engine and goals, the will I try to help. I'm sure there is other people on the board that will fill me in.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
APEX has done 'em.
I agree with JP: It is important to match the camshaft profile with the headers, flow numbers of the heads, spring pressures, and lift characteristics that BPE assembled the heads with.

Give Bill a call at 408.562.1000. Sounds like you are right down the road from him. I now live in San Jose too. If you want to see what a perfectly matched cam can do and feel like, maybe we can meet up. I am cranking out over 670 rwhp on engine alone....with a conservative cam, really!
I will be going to the Viper dinner tomorrow night as well. Are you headed there?
-Wayne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302