Car Alarms

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I just bought a new GT500 Shelby to complement my 02 Viper. (needed 4 seats to pick up the kids from school, and I needed a new car for driving to work). Anyways, the Viper stock alarm is fine because the car is either in the garage, at a car show or I don't leave it out of sight for more than 5 minutes. (Pretty much treat the Viper like a 5 year old kid, check up on the kid every 5 minutes hehe).
However, the Shelby is a nice car and I want to protect it mostly from Vandals. So I did a little bit of googling and found this car alarm
Scytek Vision Guard 8000 Car Alarm, remote starter, keyless entry, camera

What I really like is that it has a camera that takes pictures when the alarm is triggered.
Nothing like catching a Vandel on candid camera lol! Just wondering if any of you guys have one of these high end car security systems, and if so, how do you like them.

I work part time at a Correctional facility, so I can't keep an eye on this car while at work. My thoughts were get a nice car since I am driving 70 miles in it when I work their. The Shelby seemed ideal. Now I want to protect the car a little bit.
I am guessing the two major concerns I have are ignorant Correction's Officers keying/slashing the car, or someone stealing the car emblems.

If I get a picture of them lol!

shmoos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it will depend on where the camera is located at. From what i read, the camera does not move so the perp whould have to be in-front of the camera to get there picture. If not you will just get a lot of blank pictures of ethere your car window or what ever the camera is looking at.
Just my 2 cents

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it will depend on where the camera is located at. From what i read, the camera does not move so the perp whould have to be in-front of the camera to get there picture. If not you will just get a lot of blank pictures of ethere your car window or what ever the camera is looking at.
Just my 2 cents

Unless you could mount it between the seats facing the windshield. Depending on the cameras range you might be able to capture a decent amount from several angles; I'm curious to know if you find out more because I was also thinking of something like this for when I get my car.

I'm definitely worried about someone trying to steal my car so I'm definitely considering this: LoJack Car Security System for Stolen Vehicle Recovery
Along side getting the club too haha :2tu:

shmoos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still. if the perp was taking your wheels, he wouldnt have a need to go to the front window. So once again only pictures of the front windshield as your cars wheels are being taken off.

Lojack works, But i can tell you that when i was a police officer, not many departments buy the unit that is needed to locate the car. If the police department does not have that unit, they do not have the means to locate your car with the lojack transmitter. Check with your local departments to see if they use lojack. If not, you may not want to spend the money for it.

Just my 2 cents.

I didnt have lojack in my patrol car when i was in police work.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still. if the perp was taking your wheels, he wouldnt have a need to go to the front window. So once again only pictures of the front windshield as your cars wheels are being taken off.

Lojack works, But i can tell you that when i was a police officer, not many departments buy the unit that is needed to locate the car. If the police department does not have that unit, they do not have the means to locate your car with the lojack transmitter. Check with your local departments to see if they use lojack. If not, you may not want to spend the money for it.

Just my 2 cents.

I didnt have lojack in my patrol car when i was in police work.

Well if that was the case, and they were stealing your rims you could always buy multiple cameras and mount them within ur car at all angles haha ;)

Well I'm somewhat in luck, one of my best friends- his father is captain of the Haverhill Police and I'm pretty close with him, so I will ask him :D

OP
OP
Z

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes it would matter where you mounted the camera, or if more than one camera could be installed.
If you only had one camera, I would say covering the drivers side would be the most vandalized area, followed by the passenger side. Figured partial protection is better than zero. Maybe even put a mirror to catch the passenger side as well. Not sure if multiple camera's can be hooked or not.
My whole thing is if my cars if messed with I want a pic of the guy doing it so I can get him fired, or if not at work I can take out my frustrations on their hide, and then claim to the police he was trying to steal it lol!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
more than likely its gonna be a pro and he's gonna steal the whole car regardless of what alarm you have in it.

park it in the open and be careful where. but if its gonna happen ,its gonna happen

bigasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if that was the case, and they were stealing your rims you could always buy multiple cameras and mount them within ur car at all angles haha ;)

Well I'm somewhat in luck, one of my best friends- his father is captain of the Haverhill Police and I'm pretty close with him, so I will ask him :D
Any additional information about the quality of the Lojack stolen car tracking system? Do many police forces have the technology to use the GPS tracking and , if so, do they respond quickly to a notification that your car is stolen? I've got a call in to the Lojack company to get their side of these questions and I'll post the info if they get back to me.