Car and Driver Lightning Lap Issue

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This should be out any day now. Ralph had agreed to give them a TA for this test. We'll all be naturally hoping it takes the top spot, and the Laguna Seca record might indicate it could, but I'm not so sure. Ralph has said the production TA has some changes from the pre-production TA run with MT in Feb at LG. That could mean it might be quicker or slower. And since other manufacturers know that the TA will be run, and run on R-compounds, they may decide to run an R-compound optioned car as well.

Should be interesting, and I'll only predict a top 3 finish. The subjective comments of the various testers will also be interesting, and likely disappointing. I can confidently predict that they will not like the car much because, well, it is as close to a dedicated track car as is likely to be tested by them, ever, and because this issue particularly caters to the majority of the high performance buying public who want something fast, but also need something easier to drive in the real world (that's the one we try to disregard!).

Predictions?

You must be registered for see images attach

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really looking forward to this. My concern is that the testers won't take the time to find the limits of the TA. I was disappointed to read that they missed a shift in last year's testing of the Camaro SS 1LE, and let the time stand rather than doing another lap. So the car would've faired better had they taken the time to test it correctly rather than let a tester's goof determine the outcome. Will they rush through this test as well?

That said, the TA has the advantage that they break the cars into classes- the TA is in LL4, $120k to $239.9k. In that class, it should be able to put down one of the fastest laps. One car that could come close is the revised Nissan GT-R which pretty much drives itself and thus may have the advantage in this rushed test format. But the model they drive at the Ring isn't out yet so I think the TA will prevail (and probably would over the Ring model too).

I'd love to see a GTS with the carbon aero package compete as well, I think it would be very close to the TA's time.

I think the SLS Black is going to put down a very fast lap, but it's in a higher class, LL5 at $240k and above so it's not our competition. But imagine the bonus if the TA is the fastest at any price. That would be great press.

This is an opportunity for SRT to redeem itself in the media, but there are risks as all have pointed out. My prediction is that the TA will be fastest in the LL4 group, maybe fastest overall but that's a stretch goal LOL

VRYALT3R3D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But imagine the bonus if the TA is the fastest at any price. That would be great press.

When Car and Driver tested the 2008 Viper ACR, it was the fastest car they ever tested and I believe it still holds the record. That said, they trashed it in the magazine and rated it dead last.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When Car and Driver tested the 2008 Viper ACR, it was the fastest car they ever tested and I believe it still holds the record. That said, they trashed it in the magazine and rated it dead last.

I hate to bring this up, but I wonder if SRT advertised the Viper two-page spread in this issue. They did in the latest Motor Trend and Autoweek. If so, we may get a more positive review this time. Do you know if the Viper was advertised when they did the 2008 test?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is the Rodney Dangerfield of cars

You must be registered for see images

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Here they rated it 3rd. Dug up one of my articles..

The ACR is just a sick looking track beast! Blew away the competition in lap times..

Last edited:

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As was already stated...the Viper will perform on the track and throw down some impressivenumbers, but it will not be reviewed well by the rags. LL is all about track times... I can see it beating the 2008 ACR, but not the Mosler cars (they list all the past #s every year.)

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the Viper still hot and cramped? Need ear plugs? Are the nanny aids enough for these guys in the TA? Will the Porsche be the 991TT? or the GT3? My prediction is the Vette will win with the slowest lap time due to least cost and its the hot car of the year.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were scared of the ACR then and they'll be scared of the TA now.
Same ole.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may not be the fastest in a straight line if the 12C, GTR, Merc SLS Black etc are in the mix but it should beat them all on the roadcourse, but I hesitate to say with ease.

It will not win overall because it doesnt have a back seat, doesnt have enough nannies to stroke their egos and make them feel they are great drivers a la GTR etc. The ride will be too rough for them on normal roads I'm sure as Ralph even alluded to that in an interview. At least one of their usual crutches is gone now which is the interior. They wont be able to use that as a subjective demerit for the snake this time around unless they get creative. I look forward to see if the journalists have evolved in their mindset as well as the snake has in G5 guise. One can only hope.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be wrong on this, but didn't they actually soften the spring rate on the T/A? That should make the ride a bit better, even while it increased handling performance.

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be wrong on this, but didn't they actually soften the spring rate on the T/A? That should make the ride a bit better, even while it increased handling performance.

They softened the dampers, or at least the rears. The spring rate increase over SRT and GTS wasn't enough to account for much of a difference in ride quality, but the TA's more narrow range of dual mode damper valving certainly would. I read a C&D review of the TA media testing at Buttonwillow in November and they thought the rates had maybe been softened a bit too much as the rear bounced and jiggled more than they thought it should on the track. I wouldn't be surprised if SRT has recalibrated the dampers yet again in search of the optimized setup, and the most favorable reviews possible...particularly with C&D making that comment ahead of the Lightning Lap test.

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It may not be the fastest in a straight line if the 12C, GTR, Merc SLS Black etc are in the mix but it should beat them all on the roadcourse, but I hesitate to say with ease.

It will not win overall because it doesnt have a back seat, doesnt have enough nannies to stroke their egos and make them feel they are great drivers a la GTR etc. The ride will be too rough for them on normal roads I'm sure as Ralph even alluded to that in an interview. At least one of their usual crutches is gone now which is the interior. They wont be able to use that as a subjective demerit for the snake this time around unless they get creative. I look forward to see if the journalists have evolved in their mindset as well as the snake has in G5 guise. One can only hope.

I definitely agree.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread is about the Lightning Lap at VIR - timed laps around VIR. Not about drag ETs, back seats or navigation systems.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The TA will likely be the fastest around the road course....likely be the nicest looking car and likely have one of the best interiors.

0-60 in low 3s and as quarter mile in low 11s ain't nothing to take lightly

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread is about the Lightning Lap at VIR - timed laps around VIR. Not about drag ETs, back seats or navigation systems.

Have you read this thread or an LL article? LOL.

Anyway I can see it being around the old ACR's time but not sure about it approaching the Moslers or that rather abnormally fast ZR1 time of around 1:45ish if memory serves.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The TA most definitely should be the fastest lapping car on the road course. If they will 'drive it'.

But they will say something about the car ***** and 'this or that aint right'.
'Too much of a maniac car still'
Some crap like that.

***** drivers that just don't get it.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's Almost Febuary, where is the lightning lap issue? Most if the time it's out in the first week of January.

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's some results of 169 cars from another track to look over while we're waiting. The new 991 GT3 sling-shot to the front of the pack. Maybe Car and Driver had difficulty getting one for the Lightning Lap for a couple of months and decided to delay the whole test until then...otherwise maybe they'd have had to wait until 2015 for the new Z06 ;) Okay, it's in french, and there's no Viper, but all the usual suspects are there that Randy has tested at Laguna Seca. We'll have to compare and see how results from his driving of those same cars compared to theirs.

http://abload.de/img/bildschirmfoto2014-02mlkyn.png

Bruce

Last edited:

Flylow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What the hell......??? Nothing yet.....! Did Car and Driver skip the event this year....???

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its the best kept secret on the internet. You can't find any info on the 2014 Lightning Lap anywhere.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235