"Car guys", according to a local lawman...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\"Car guys\", according to a local lawman...

Had the unpleasant task of speaking with the local police earlier today. Oh, the conversation was great, but the event that caused it pretty much sucked. Seems a couple young guys in their Honda Civic hatchback were on an egging spree last night. Not to worry, my cars were tucked safely away in the garage. The next door neighbor's car wasn't so lucky, nor were several other cars around the corner from us. I saw these dweebs in action, so I had to file the report.

A couple interesting comments from the gentleman that came to the house. First off, the local ordinances don't penalize egg throwing or such things unless actual damage occurs (the egg dents the car). However, local ordinances DO prohibit modified exhausts on any cars in the city limits, including the coffee can exhausts found on many imports. He suggested they track these goofs down that way. No problem here.

We got to talking and it turns out that one of his very best friends JUST bought a 2000 GTS. Color? Black with silver stripes. He laughed pretty hard when I opened that garage door. His friend recently wrote to me about joining the local VCA - small world!

We then got to talking about "car guys". He is working on a Mustang Cobra and owns a race bike. We talked a bit more and he mentioned my friend with the Ferrari 360 Modena. He came across the Ferrari and his owner the other day in a parking lot. He wheeled over and complimented the guy on his car. The guy said "Thanks", hopped in his car, and left the cop standing there. "You knew right then that this was NOT a car guy", the cop told me. "A real car guy would stop, chat a while about the car and maybe answer a few questions for the guy who took the time to come over and compliment him", he said. "I lost interest in the Ferrari based on what it represented, or maybe what it didn't."

Needless to say, I couldn't agree more. As a representative of the Viper community, I always try to smile and answer questions - even if I am in a hurry. If a guy pulls up in a "rice rocket" and wants to talk cars, you couldn't shut me up - nor stop me from complimenting his pride and joy. Why? Because that is what car guys (and gals!) do. It goes back to the point that people buy cars for different reasons. I just personally find it a shame when someone buys a performance car to use as a status symbol instead of enjoying the driving experience - and sharing it with others. If somebody forced me to own a Diablo 6.0
You must be registered for see images
, I would drive it every chance I got, and happily talk about it with anybody that was interested.

Of course, that is just my 2¢.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"Car guys\", according to a local lawman...

Chris...you mean you didn't mention to the police officer that your car has a "modified" exhaust too, did ya? I know that my local police use the exhaust issue as a way to go after the trouble makers and leave the rest of us alone.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In response to that. I think half the fun of having the Viper is having complete strangers come up to you and tell you what a great car it is. I really enjoy talking the car up to just about anyone who'll listen.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually, that's how the subject of Vipers came up. I had to ask him if he was going to bust me for my Snake Oyl pipes. He laughed and said that they tended to leave the V-8's (and bigger) alone. He said it was the Civics trying to impersonate race bikes that sometimes got on peoples nerves. That's his quote, not mine.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt M, PA:
Chris...you mean you didn't mention to the police officer that your car has a "modified" exhaust too, did ya? I know that my local police use the exhaust issue as a way to go after the trouble makers and leave the rest of us alone.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chris, I has a somewhat similar incident(if you want to call it that), with a Michigan State Trooper. I was parked at the local Taco Bell waiting for my wife, and just sitting in the Viper, and suddenly I hear "If it were about 3 degrees warmer, you could take the top off your car." I turned around and there was a Michigan State Trooper standing next to the Viper. I said " You're right!" and got out of the car and we talked for about 10 minutes about cars and driving schools (Fred Kinder would have loved that), etc, he was definitely a "car guy", no doubt about it. I am all for getting to know some of the local police folks, it doesn't hurt for them to know you either, and that you are not about to off and just go crazy with the car. I try to really "pick my spots" where I "exercise" the Viper if you know what I mean. I try to go whre there aren't any kids around who could run into the street, and if I see anything that doesn't look right, I back off immediately. My biggest fear around here in Michigan, is hitting a White tail deer, they are everywhere around here!

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree, I love stopping to talk to anyone who asks questions or gives me the thumbs up.

Recently, I was going north on Pacific Coast Highway, and I was turning right at a yield sign onto Artesia. I see there's a Hermosa Beach motorcycle cop with some lady pulled over in the right line of Artesia, right in front of me. I have no front plate and just had the Borla exhaust installed, and Hermosa Beach cops can be a little bit more hard-nosed than elsewhere. This cop has now stopped writing the lady's ticket and has fully turned around to look at me. All I can think is "I'm dogmeat", but I have to pull out and drive now, because there's no longer oncoming traffic. So as I'm pulling out and the cop is totally facing me, I drive by him (trying to be as quiet as possible -- like that's really easy), and as I pass him, he just smiles and gives me a big thumbs up. Needless to say, a huge wave of relief flooded over me!

I parked across the street where I was doing my business, and I decided to walk back and talk to the cop. I said, "Thanks for the thumbs up," and he said, "I own a Vette, but I forgive you for buying a Mopar." [All in good humor!] We chatted for a few minutes, and I went on my way feeling much better about Hermosa Beach police!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4