Car shows in general....

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a question, and I'm hoping I can get some actual mature responses... I'll be asking the same question in a corvette forum, so I can get to the bottom of this.

Why is it, that whenever a Viper shows up at a Corvette dominated event (which car show isn't corvette dominated?) that the Corvette guys get their backs up, and say ****.... but, when a Corvette guy shows up at a Viper event, or just in general.... the Viper guys don't say anything really... and just continue on with whatever they're doing.

Now, the obvious answer is going to be "cause they're jealous" but seriously.... why is this? Is it really jealousy? I find it extremely annoying that when I show up in my Viper, I get a million death stares from Corvette owners... I don't do the same thing to them... and I only get one in maybe 30 or 40 that actually say "nice car" or something to that effect. I've even tried being friendly with some Corvette owners... one guy had a ZR1, I said that I liked the look of his car.... it was a nice black with red trim, etc.... and instead of "thanks" he said "IT DESTROYS THE VIPER" I said "ok"

Seriously though... what gives? The only reason I think this is because I'm driving a viper, is because I went to a show with a buddy of mine in his Corvette... and they were 'nice'... until one guy said "So what do you drive?" and I said "oh, I have a Viper" and he said "What, you think you're BETTER THAN ME?"

It's like a poison! I don't understand... shed some light on me? Hahaha

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
probably never get to the bottom of this one but id guess the vette guys know the attention all goes to the vipers and not their cars. but i have met mostly nice vette guys.

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno. I've been in the Corvette world since 2000 and honestly never noticed this. Everyone I knew either (1) appreciated all sports cars, or (2) was so wrapped up in Corvette fever, 50 years of Corvette, all things corvette, put corvette flags on everything etc. they wouldn't even have noticed the car you drove up in LOL

A million death stares? Are you sure you aren't being over sensitive? honest Q.

I showed up at the biggest Vette show in the south back in May, ran into a few guys I knew and they all asked "hey did you bring the Viper?"

The other thing though... not everyone who SHOWS their car (Corvette I guess) is a sports car enthusiast. Many of them are simply enthusiasts of that particular make/model, right wrong or otherwise. Waxers and shiners are great, and power to 'em, but at the track everyone appreciates everything. And if you don't when you get there, you do when you leave after the chick in her mini dusts you in corners LOL (there's one down here that can drive!) I'd suspect that some at Corvette shows feel it's their day... I dunno. Just thinking out loud.

Good luck with your Q at the CF. I'll swing back over there out of curiosity LOL

ACR_VP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It might be very dependent on the area too... Where I live generally everyone has respect and interest for one another's cars at shows, regardless of model.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
It's like a poison! I don't understand...

Actually it's Venom....:)

Seriously though, I think it's like jmasin said. Most of the vette owners that actually track their cars or are car enthusiasts like or appreciate Vipers. The others are just jealous because our Vipers make the vette's invisible at shows.

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it depends on where you are and with which Corvette guys you are around. I had two vettes before my first viper. I lived in Charlotte NC and was in the corvette club there. Seemed like pretty nice guys until I bought my first viper. Contacted the club prez and asked if I could tag along on one of their meets. He said no we only allow vettes!!! I told him I would drive in the back and me good. Still said NO! I was like are you kidding me??? Just because I have a viper now I can not hang with you guys. To tell you the truth it really pissed me off.

F

FrgMstr

I say once you get the sand out of your mangina, you will not care what the other girls think about you.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all depends on the folks...I've been to some shows where you can find any make/model, and folks were all pretty friendly. If you show up at an all Chevy show, well, the reception will not be very good.

I had a reaction from a long-time acquaintance that surprised me...he owns a 911 turbo, and when I mentioned I had a Viper for my fun car, all he could do was trash it. Really talked down about it to the point where I didn't want to continue the conversation. Maybe he's had his butt handed to him on a platter by a Viper or two in the past, or he's just become a cranky old fart. Maybe both...

After getting burned out on judged/people's choice car shows years ago, I like to pop into the local burger joint for an hour or two when they have a cruise-in and check out the different rides and meet some folks, and when my milkshake is finished, then its time to go and have fun driving my RT/10.

AZWHTSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jmill,
An unfortuante, very myopic and self centered response by your former Vett club prez especially after being a member of the club! Showed his true colors and your feelings are very understandable. Friends are friends regardless of the make of car owned. We have Viper owners in our club who also own vetts and/or lambos and they are just as much part of our club as they are of the other clubs. It doen't mean that there isn't friendly kidding going on but there is respect for each other and the other cars they own. The Vett club here in Phoenix frequently contact us about participating with them in their autocross events. And we have had members who have participated with them.

jjp11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They sound like a bunch of clicky high school girls.. I mean seriously, it's just a car. It's not like you're driving by and shouting they have small ***** while flipping them off.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I switc off, driving the Viper to some shows and the ZO6 to others. Never had a problem, everyone has been cool. Actually im getting a little tired of going to cruise nights. There getting a little boring. Time to get back on the track.LOL

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
:omg: I frequently run with the local corvette club around here because they get together every weekend & know how to enjoy their cars & they're always friendly. A few weeks ago they invited me to go a local Brewery , 35 corvettes & 1 Viper. I've never been able to get two Vipers together to cruise or attend any local shows. :dunno: :crazy2:

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.... It's not like you're driving by and shouting they have small ***** while flipping them off.

So, am I to understand I should stop doing that? This is considered un-social behavior? I learn so much here! Awesome, Thanks.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmmm, yeah I've noticed a little of that, not much though, mostly driving and passing a vette guy, just get nothing even if I wave. But I went to a show a few weekends ago that was sponsored by a local corvette club, and they were judging. There were a lot of Vettes there and only a top 50 trophies (probably 200 cars) and a lot of trailer queen cars. I had the only gen 1 there and another guy with an 08 I think, both of us got trophies and they were pretty cool people, so you probably just ran into an *******. That was a dick move for the guy to say "it destroys Vipers", I mean seriously, I guess you could look back at him and say "well I destroyed your wife last night" but that wouldn't be nice I guess. However saying something ass like that would make me want to say something smart back, just try to let it roll off, but I have a hard time too :)

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about Oakville but here in Oshawa I definitely notice the cool reception the Viper receives at a mainly GM or vette event. This is a ******** GM town and some guys who work at GM dont like you if you don't drive a GM product period. I once made the mistake of pulling into the Autoworkers Credit Union for "their" hangout event and was pretty sure I was going to get shanked. Oh well.....time to go wash the sand out of my mangina.;)

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they get mad at us because for them their Corvette is the ultimate and for many of us the Z06 (and even the ZR1) are just great commute cars.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is just shear numbers. Way too many Vettes and not many Vipers. The Vettes are just way too common and nothing to really get excited over. If a tank showed up at a car show I would be all over it.

Bruce

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have not seen adverse affects from vette owners. It is national vette homecoming here in BG this weekend. I have taken the viper out on these weekends and have always recieved tons of thumbs up. This year I am going camping

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i havnt had many negative run ins with vette owners but if one was to give me a hard time I would peg him as jealous. a true car guy is a true car guy, in my city there are a lot of riced out imports that look like they belong in the junk yard, I still take the time to chat with them if them come up to me and make should I check out their car too even if I dont like it just because they are car guys and they love their car as much as I love mine

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, everything has an evil nemesis, Pepsi has Coke, Burger King has McDonald's and Vette guys have Vipers....it's the natural order of things.

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It varies people to people.

What I seemed to notice is, if the person is driving a Corvette because he loves Corvettes - there is no issue with having a Viper around them. I've had waves while driving and greeted at events from these kinds of people.

But if the person is driving a Corvette because it was literally the best they could afford - there tends to be more issues with me having a Viper around them.

True car people are going to be friendly with other sports cars, especially another American sports car. People that are just trying to get the best that they can and want the most power they can get, or the cheapest they can get ( civic owners ), tend to be a bit more hostile.

I rarely get to go cruising with other Vipers, so frequently drive around with Corvettes, Mustangs( Everything from V6 to GT500 ), CTS-V, etc and that is what I've noticed.

E_tar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very simple answer... TRUE Car guys appreciate all cool cars, and understand their contributions and achievements to the automotive world.

The guy who felt it appropriate to insult you and your viper, was not a true car guy... He was intimidated by the fact of your having a viper. Some are like that. They get threatened when they think that someone is capable of upstaging them and it doesn't sit well with their egos. Jealousy is not as much a problem as being fanatic about something.. sort of like religious gatherings, but not quite the same thing..

Some corvette owners are just that "owners" (more like yuppies, where its all about ego gratification and not about camaraderie or auto enthusiasm).

I've owned 3 corvettes of different years before I bought my GTS and I cherish them all. I only have the 1970 Stingray and my Viper GTS now..

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey, everything has an evil nemesis, Pepsi has Coke, Burger King has McDonald's and Vette guys have Vipers....it's the natural order of things.

I hope you don't mind if I make this quote my sig on several other forums I'm on!! ;)

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question, and I'm hoping I can get some actual mature responses... I'll be asking the same question in a corvette forum, so I can get to the bottom of this.

Why is it, that whenever a Viper shows up at a Corvette dominated event (which car show isn't corvette dominated?) that the Corvette guys get their backs up, and say ****.... but, when a Corvette guy shows up at a Viper event, or just in general.... the Viper guys don't say anything really... and just continue on with whatever they're doing.

Now, the obvious answer is going to be "cause they're jealous" but seriously.... why is this? Is it really jealousy? I find it extremely annoying that when I show up in my Viper, I get a million death stares from Corvette owners... I don't do the same thing to them... and I only get one in maybe 30 or 40 that actually say "nice car" or something to that effect. I've even tried being friendly with some Corvette owners... one guy had a ZR1, I said that I liked the look of his car.... it was a nice black with red trim, etc.... and instead of "thanks" he said "IT DESTROYS THE VIPER" I said "ok"

Seriously though... what gives? The only reason I think this is because I'm driving a viper, is because I went to a show with a buddy of mine in his Corvette... and they were 'nice'... until one guy said "So what do you drive?" and I said "oh, I have a Viper" and he said "What, you think you're BETTER THAN ME?"

It's like a poison! I don't understand... shed some light on me? Hahaha

I personally find car show very boring. Forget the car shows & take your wife / girlfriend for a great drive in Ontario.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally find car show very boring. Forget the car shows & take your wife / girlfriend for a great drive in Ontario.

I like that thought because it's exactly the way I feel too. (but that mangina comment in post 7 was funny...lol)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang