Car value when changing wheel color

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This winter i want to have my stock wheels refinished bc theres curb rash on both fronts from the previous owner. I really think black chrome would look good with my car. Would changing my stock chrome color wheels to black chrome take a bite out of my car value. Should i just have the wheels made new again with the stock color? :dunno:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hell no it wont- do the black chrome, i have em on every car i own...lol.....im sick with it

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm assuming you have a 2004 something from your site name. What color is the viper? Black wheels look good on a lot of vipers. Just do it.

Last edited:

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any modifications are subject to taste. Some will like it some will not. A stock Viper will always appeal to more than a modified car but it is yours, do what you want with it.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I agree with Mopar Steve--have to be very careful with mods., however wheels can be replaced with stock so there should not really be a significant impact with value. If a buyer likes the mod then the mod can be a great selling point.---Dave

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have stock '04 wheels, upgrading to something done quality and tastful would probably increase the value slightly. (If your worried about re-sale of your viper and the wheel color change keep an eye out for a mint used set as spares, there plentiful and cheap). Not sure how much they'll cost to refinish? If its pricey consider used 5 spokes or used ACR black wheels. good luck Mike

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont do it. not only will the value of your car be half, it will lower all of ours as well. its much bigger than just your car...please dont do it

OP
OP
S

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the replies. The car is a 04 red with 35% tint on the windows. The windows and black top look good together so i figured fresh black chrome on the rims would really set it off. I will keep my eyes open in the future for a set of oem spare wheels that i can get at a good price.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
most people dont even know the differance unless they have been around vipers for a long time,and even at that it will not lower the value of your car - period- they are a awsome add to anycolor car. i have had nothing but a ton of comps on all of mine, not one neg statement. do it-do it

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lightnin fast thats why, godda be quick on the draw festus

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black chrome is a tasteful touch, IMO.

Another point though, with plain black powder coated wheels, it is a very racetrack oriented look, and about half the buyers won't like it (I'm talking plain black, no pinstripe, no polished lip, no nothing). So while on an ACR plain black is the stuff, on a street vert, maybe not.

Black chrome is in a completely different category than a black powder coat on the "bling scale", and it's still relatively rare as a wheel finish, and like already mentioned, is fairly stealthy-- more toned-down than normal chrome, making it "acceptable" to more buyers, probably.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder what black chrome would look like on a silver SRT-10??? Anyone with pics?

Anyway, I do not see how that would ever hurt the value. Getting rid of the curb rash will help the value, and like someone else said most people won't know the difference. If I had the money I would do it.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see SSSAMMM has black wheels on silver Viper with black stripes. Maybe I should have my wheels painted GTS Blue to match my stripe??? Anyone ever seen blue wheels??? Probably looks real bad.

Tonym6071

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sssammm,
Hope you are well!

Wheels look great! Did you paint them yourself? If so, what did you use? I have a 94 yellow viper and I think the black would look great!

Thanks

OP
OP
S

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like for now Im going to keep the chrome but have the rims refinished. The shop near me doesnt do black chrome or chrome. But they can refinish the clear and get rid of all the curb rash. So there going to fix my wheels for $65 each. I cant say no to that. I like the black chrome but with the finances right now having the wheels made new again is the way to go. I have seen there work in person on another viper owners car. And i was amazed at how good they looked before and after.

OP
OP
S

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the rims back and they look great. I did stay with chrome bc of the money aspect. No more rash and with the money i saved i bought a new low profile jack. Win Win for me

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gee, I have an 03 with stock wheels and they could use re-finishing. I wonder if someone could do that to the Gen 3 stock wheels? Where I could take them in Illinois?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte