Carfax shows salvage history on a car with a clear title...Question

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found a car that I really like for sale. After discussinng things with the current owner he indicated it has a clean, clear title. Well, I ran a car fax and it indicates the car has a "salvage title or salvage auction record" issued in 8/2007 in Colorado, then a repossession in New Jersey in 12/2007.

I guess my main question is, is it possible for a car to have been salvaged then fixed and issued a clean, clear title? The owner indicated the back left quarter panel had been replaced, but that was it. I am really confused, how could the car could get a clear title. :dunno:

I still like the car, but buying a car with that mark on its record will kill me on my resale (and getting a loan for any future buyer) and I defintely don't want anything to do with a car that has a salvage title unless I got a SIGNIFICANT discount on the car, but the cars price is at retail.

Also, the carfax also says it was stolen in 2010, but the owner says it wasn't. Is it possible that carfax has issues on the report that are untrue?

Any direction, thoughts, insight, or prior experiences would be appreciated. I had the wife OK with me making an offer but then this came up and she thinks I need to run away....and fast.

Thanks! :2tu:

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If it were me, I would stay away. First of all, the owner has been less than honest with you about it having a "clean title". Second, even if you get a significant discount on the purchase price, you don't know how much you are going to have to spend to fix any issues that crop up. Third, there are plenty of quality used Vipers out there that have not been salvaged, repo'd, and possibly stolen. Be patient and find a better car.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always dislike these sorts of posts for the obvious reasons. I fully understand the quandry you are in and hope the best decision prevails....but since you asked...Someone once told me that if you have to ask the question, you already know the answer. So go with that you already know you should do. Good luck and if a Snake is in your (and Mrs.) future, it will happen and you will enjoy without any regrets. Lots of quality deals out there...and having said that, this one should be nowhere near market/retail given its questionable history. If you can get a raging deal and just want to drive the piss out of it and enjoy it for what it is, then that is a consideration you must factor. If resale is an issue down the road...then take that into account (as it appears you are). Either way, welcome since it appears you will be going the family very soon!!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I once paid a substantial deposit on a UK Viper only to find it had a salvage title :mad: Took me a while to get my monies back, This was from a dealer too :mad:

If you want my advice, stay well, well away!

As others have said there are plenty of good cars out there. Move on ;)

And as you said, it will kill your resale value :(

Mark
:uk:

Spook120

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can launder a title through some states, like SD ( or so I have been told). Run away quickly. *****.

OP
OP
S

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I trust the current owner as he is a very well respected person n the forum and Viper community (although I would like to keep them annonymous), but I have a feeling he was unaware of some of the prior issues and is going to look into them.

I think Spook120 may be right about some states issuing clean titles on previously salvaged vehicles, perhaps New Jersey is one of the them.

I am also sort of wondering if Carfax could possibly wrong if the owner says it has not been stolen (and he owned the car when it would have been).

Well, thanks again, this is a great forum:2tu:

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All good common sense comments here! I have bought numerous performance vehicles over the last few years trusting a good inspection and CarFax to tell me the truth. The sellers initial dishonesty would make me walk away straight off. As was mentioned, you can convert a salvaged title in several states to a clear title, so a clear title in and of itself is no clear proof. KEEP SHOPPING!

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As someone who works in law enforcement let me repeat what Spook120 said above-there are several states which will issue a new title without "salvage" recorded. This happened to many Katrina cars. In addition to that, this Viper you are looking at sounds like it has been in a pinball game of ownerships and history, it needs an Exorcism. I would think here are way better choices out there.

OP
OP
S

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As someone who works in law enforcement let me repeat what Spook120 said above-there are several states which will issue a new title without "salvage" recorded. This happened to many Katrina cars. In addition to that, this Viper you are looking at sounds like it has been in a pinball game of ownerships and history, it sounds like it needs an Exorcism. I would think here are way better choices out there.

Thanks for the info. I think it has only had 2 owners, and most of this mess took place under the prior ownership.

This *****, I really like the car, good color, and excellent location for me to pick it up. However, it was at the very top of my price range (well a little above actually) and I don't think I would feel comfortable buying the car unless I felt it was at a price that reflected the questionable history. Heck, even then I would be gun shy.

Hopefully I'll hear from the owner soon and I can get some details on all of this stuff.

Thanks everyone:2tu:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As so many people have said already get a good clean one there are plenty out there at the moment..

BUT as Plum said Carfax can be wrong... You could even buy a clean carfax car to find it has been damaged then repaired privately so there is no history....

IF unsure get the car checked out by somone that knows Vipers.....

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carfax can be wrong, but it sounds like there a few too many issues with this car. Even Carfax is wrong, good luck getting them to fix it. This same issue will come up when you try to sell it (true or not) and you will hard time getting rid of it. I've had personal experience on a past car. When I was renewing my registration on my old Benz one year, the idiot at the emissions inspection entered the wrong milage. I should have looked closer and caught it, but I didn't. Anyway, when I went to sell it, it caused Carfax to flag it as having odometer rollback because of this. Cost me some money on the re-sale because Carfax said so, and everybody believes Carfax. Just something to think about, even if you do trust the seller.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know a thing about carfax, but we always say: it may smell a bit, but when it stinks it's rotten. In short, leave the car for what it is and go for an other one. I know the feeling though, that you want to buy it now and not tomorrow...

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you try googling the VIN? I have found a lot of things on cars just by googling the VIN.

I highly doubt Carfax is wrong about the dirt on this car unless you have the wrong VIN. Any slight evidence of dirt on a car via Carfax or Google, I stay away regardless of owner's credibility. Run!!!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you now...carfax CAN be very wrong.

Google is a good idea and calling Tator to see if he can run the vin for info as confirmation too.

OP
OP
S

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I have talked to the owner and he's a great guy. He has never pulled a carfax and had no idea about this issue so he is contacting the seller and getting photos of the car from the accident (which he has) then will try and figure out what went on with the title.

I appreciate everyones thoughts on this matter, its been VERY helpful.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carfax reports info from public records. If CF is wrong the owner needs to clear the black marks against this VIN before you purchase.

This is not an easy feat.

My wife wanted to sell her Audi privately so we ordered a Carfax report, it showed an odometer discrepancy.
When we moved to VA the car was inspected. The inspection station reported the mileage correctly but the DMV put 55K mi. on the title instead of 5.5K mi.
CF listed both the inspection stations info and the DMV title info showing that her car traveled 50K mi in three weeks.

Even though there was an obvious error CF would not change their report without a letter from the DMV.

To say that fixing a DMV error is a royal PITA is an understatement.

Through this process we learned that CF does not track DMV corrections. The vehicle owner must pursue this with CF customer service.

The error took several months to resolve so be prepared.

rudedawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a Service Manager for a CDJ dealer in NY. We have Auto Check and if you want to send me the Vin I'll get you a report and you can compare them. I'll also run the Vin thru Chrysler dealer connect and pull up the history on the car. I can fax both reports to you. Let me know if I can help out.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a Service Manager for a CDJ dealer in NY. We have Auto Check and if you want to send me the Vin I'll get you a report and you can compare them. I'll also run the Vin thru Chrysler dealer connect and pull up the history on the car. I can fax both reports to you. Let me know if I can help out.

Aren't VCA members so very helpful! My opinion is to stay away from this car unless the current owner realizes that the new info on his car diminishes the value and you get a deal. I would've liked to have purchased mine locally, but that wasn't an option at the time. A lot of viper owners make purchases with the help of members of the VCA around the country (countries :D).

OP
OP
S

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great, thanks! I'll pm you tomorrow!

OP
OP
S

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Anthony, I just recieved a copy of the report. Unfortunately there was no good news in there, it was consitant with the Carfax :(

I forwarded it on to the owner as well. Hopefully he can get some answers from the first (original) owner he bought it from.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's almost like your looking for someone to tell you to buy it, when you (and everyone else here) knows you shouldn't. Im guessing b/c of price, and price alone, your trying to convince youself of this. Be careful...

Carfax is NOT PERFECT by any stretch. But when a junk title status comes up on carfax, its LEGIT. Trust me. A junk title car is not insurable, and is literally a parts car, status. Some will argue with me, when its given a rebuilt status. But this car sounds like it has a serious history. Avoid..

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A wrecked Viper does not bring good money and a salvaged one is exactly as Taximan stated..................Banks won't finance, no Ext. Service Contract available, and frankly few shops out there seem to ever fix these cars correctly. Shane , this is a dog!!!

Run, as noted above!

OP
OP
S

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. You all are right, as much as my heart is telling me this is the car (its just what I want) you all have helped me realize that if I am buying my dream car that I intend to have for a long time, it needs to be the right car. Based on the history this one probably isn't.

Unless the seller offers it to me at a REALLY good price that I think appropriately discounts the car for its history, I'm going to pass and continue my search.

Thanks everyone, hopefully I can find a clean car I like as well in my price range soon.

THis really is a great forum with a great group of people:2tu:

gilly6993

Viper Owner
Reaction score
good idea to walk away....from the timeline it sounds is though the owener is lying but I could be wrong....he got the car after it was salvaged and off the repo so he must have registered it with a salvage title....