Carfax shows salvage history on a car with a clear title...Question

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would give you a different perspective.

There may be some salvage title cars that are not a bad deal. If it has been restored properly it could be as good as any other used car, sometimes better. You would want to be careful and get it checked over completly.

If you're worried about resale value then yeah, don't even think about it. If you want to own the car and drive it then it could be a good deal.

The thing about the laundered title would bother me more than anything else. If the guy says up front it has been restored, here's what was done to it, and it seems reasonable. Then I wouldn't ignore it. Especially if it was a good price.

OP
OP
S

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would give you a different perspective.

There may be some salvage title cars that are not a bad deal. If it has been restored properly it could be as good as any other used car, sometimes better. You would want to be careful and get it checked over completly.

If you're worried about resale value then yeah, don't even think about it. If you want to own the car and drive it then it could be a good deal.

The thing about the laundered title would bother me more than anything else. If the guy says up front it has been restored, here's what was done to it, and it seems reasonable. Then I wouldn't ignore it. Especially if it was a good price.

I had an opportunity to buy a salvaged 06 located just a few blocks from me for $33K with full documentation of the rebuilding process. At a price like that, I would consider a well documented car with a salvage history. I agree there are some good buys of well rebuilt cars out there.

OP
OP
S

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good idea to walk away....from the timeline it sounds is though the owener is lying but I could be wrong....he got the car after it was salvaged and off the repo so he must have registered it with a salvage title....

Normally I would agree with you, and maybe I'm just ignorant but I trust the seller fully. He seems like a really good, stand up guy and is well known on this board and the Viper community.

I think he just made a mistake not running any reports prior to purchasing the car. He's tried to contact the first owner to try and get these issues figured out but has had no luck. I actually feel bad for him because at the end of the day this news will impact him the most.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an opportunity to buy a salvaged 06 located just a few blocks from me for $33K with full documentation of the rebuilding process. At a price like that, I would consider a well documented car with a salvage history. I agree there are some good buys of well rebuilt cars out there.
Yeah, something like that could be worth it. Again, assuming you want to OWN the car and are not worried about selling it.

Also, there are plenty of banks that will loan you the money for a rebuildable car if your credit rating is good. That's one that is not yet restored. Most banks and, insurance companys for that matter, treat a rebuilt car the same as a any other used car.

One thing that might make a difference is how long did this guy you trust own the car and how many miles did he put on it? If he drove it for a long time with no problems then that would be a point in it's favor imho.

The car in my avatar has a rebuilt title. I bought it with a salvage title and 350 miles on the od. Had the repair work done at a quality shop and have driven it for 4 years and 10,000 miles without a problem. It's as good as any other used Viper out there imo.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Slysnake,

I politely disagree , but very ,very few Banks view a salvage title car like a normal used car. The number of Banks that will view them is limited and though we do over 20,000 vehicles a year at our 6 stores , we don't have a single Bank that will finance a salvage vehicle , let alone a salvaged Viper.

There can be insurance issues also, and these machines are not eligible for an ext. service contract --- buyer beware.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slysnake, you have been given some bad info., Im sorry.. I agree with Bill Pemberton, and can tell you a salvage title car can not be insured. Now, you might have an insurance card and a policy. But rest assured IF there was a claim. Coverage would either be completely void, or very little based on value. they will run TITLE STAT'S.

Also, I've probably bought 30 cars "to own". And some how, I always end up selling them/trading in at some point. The fact is a salvage title car has virtually no value. It is worth, what the parts are worth. nothing more.
WHEN it comes time to sell. It will be next to impossible to do, so. Any savings from purchase, will be lost.

Buy the right car, the first time.. Not the cheapest...