Changing all the fluids...

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a write up about this, or when I do it this weekend should I go ahead and take pictures and do a write up?

Also, my tech at the dealer said I neededa posi-additive for the rear differential fluid - is this correct? Manual just states castrol syntorque for the tranny and diff.

As for the power steering fluid, mine says no ATF, so I'll just refil with power steering fluid as the manual states. I had the recall done about 2 years ago, and it was still refilled with power steering fluid.

Thanks,

- Anthony

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
atf+4 for the steering

if you don't put the additive in the differential it will make bad noises....often, one bottle is not enough, you may need two bottles of additive.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do the write up...always lurking noobs and 1st time wrenchers looking for confidence here

must have pics and materials list, time required, etc.....be safe

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
STOP !!! You must have a 2003 as your reference to "Manual just states castrol syntorque for the tranny and diff. " IS A KNOWN ERROR in the 2003 Owner's Manual that I pointed out as soon as we received our car. Team Viper sent me a signed shirt for noting that the WRONG DIFF FLUID was in that version of the manual.

ALL Vipers' factory fill in the differential is MOPAR "Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140" 04874469 PLUS 4 oz. of the "MOPAR Limited Slip Additive Friction Modifier"

For "stock" OEM "factory fill" fluids for Gen III Vipers start here:

Motor oil...Mobil 1 0W-40 (started as factory fill in 2005 by my memory, but many use it in ALL Gen III Vipers, noting that 2003 and I THINK 2004's came with Mobil 1 10W-30).

MOPAR Oil Filter (Viper Specific up to and including 2006) 05037836AA.

MOPAR "Power Steering Fluid + 4" 05166226 AA when in the pint size (also called "ATF+4" in the quart size). NOTE: This was not the factory fill nor the TSB recall fill on 2003 Vipers...it first appeared in the 2004 Vipers but most Techs to whom I have spoken now recommend the newer "+4" fluid for all Gen III's.

MOPAR "Antifreeze/Coolant 5Year/ 100,000 mile" 05066386AA.

MOPAR "Brake & Clutch Fluid DOT 4" 04549625AC.

MOPAR "Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140" 04874469.

MOPAR " Limited Slip Additive Friction Modifier" 04318060AB.

MOPAR "Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant SAE 75W-85" ( also known as "Castrol Syntorq LT 75W/85").

Please note that I took this info from the actual containers of said fluids...the oldest of which was purchased in April 2007...BUT, sometimes labels and/or part numbers get changed over time.

I HOPE this helps...feel free to disagree or modify to fit YOUR needs...call me anytime if you have a question.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm doing the same project for winter maintenance. I'm a decent wrencher but hec I'd love to see the whole thing documented (oil change excluded, do that regularly).

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just did the rear on my 06, very easy now that you can use one of the drain plugs in the bottom of the diff housing, and yes you will need the 4 oz bottle of additive

V

Venomiss

Is there a write up about this, or when I do it this weekend should I go ahead and take pictures and do a write up?

Also, my tech at the dealer said I neededa posi-additive for the rear differential fluid - is this correct? Manual just states castrol syntorque for the tranny and diff.

As for the power steering fluid, mine says no ATF, so I'll just refil with power steering fluid as the manual states. I had the recall done about 2 years ago, and it was still refilled with power steering fluid.

Thanks,

- Anthony

Yes please! Just looked through the 72 Illustrateds that are listed so be sure and take pictures. Get to joining so we can add in the other good Illustrated write ups you have done already and be eligible for the Roe Racing Extinguisher being given away for the month of October to one lucky VCA member.;)

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
STOP !!! You must have a 2003 as your reference to "Manual just states castrol syntorque for the tranny and diff. " IS A KNOWN ERROR in the 2003 Owner's Manual that I pointed out as soon as we received our car. Team Viper sent me a signed shirt for noting that the WRONG DIFF FLUID was in that version of the manual.

ALL Vipers' factory fill in the differential is MOPAR "Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140" 04874469 PLUS 4 oz. of the "MOPAR Limited Slip Additive Friction Modifier"

For "stock" OEM "factory fill" fluids for Gen III Vipers start here:

Motor oil...Mobil 1 0W-40 (started as factory fill in 2005 by my memory, but many use it in ALL Gen III Vipers, noting that 2003 and I THINK 2004's came with Mobil 1 10W-30).

MOPAR Oil Filter (Viper Specific up to and including 2006) 05037836AA.

MOPAR "Power Steering Fluid + 4" 05166226 AA when in the pint size (also called "ATF+4" in the quart size). NOTE: This was not the factory fill nor the TSB recall fill on 2003 Vipers...it first appeared in the 2004 Vipers but most Techs to whom I have spoken now recommend the newer "+4" fluid for all Gen III's.

MOPAR "Antifreeze/Coolant 5Year/ 100,000 mile" 05066386AA.

MOPAR "Brake & Clutch Fluid DOT 4" 04549625AC.

MOPAR "Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140" 04874469.

MOPAR " Limited Slip Additive Friction Modifier" 04318060AB.

MOPAR "Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant SAE 75W-85" ( also known as "Castrol Syntorq LT 75W/85").

Please note that I took this info from the actual containers of said fluids...the oldest of which was purchased in April 2007...BUT, sometimes labels and/or part numbers get changed over time.

I HOPE this helps...feel free to disagree or modify to fit YOUR needs...call me anytime if you have a question.

Great info!!!!!! :2tu:

I do not intend to put you down on the great info above but 2008 vipers are different.

2003-2006 transmissions use gear lube 75W-85 as stated above. 2008 viper transmissions use Automotive Transmission Fluid, (ATF+4 ).

You will also note that the rear end, on all years calls for MOPAR "Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140" 04874469 though we always use Royal Purple as there is no need to use MOPAR " Limited Slip Additive Friction Modifier" 04318060AB. See: http://www.royalpurple.com/gear-oil.html

Again, great job!!!!! :drive:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Good to talk with you , Rob...the mistakes in some of the manuals ARE a problem!!!

In my above fluid list, I was only answering the guy's questions about HIS factory fill.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant