Changing oil- Don't make the same mistake I did

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Make sure when you remove the old oil filter that you remove the rubber gasket with it! Over the last 16 years of Viper ownership I thought I had seen everything. Tonight I installed fresh oil and filter, then started the car. 5 seconds later I had 2 quarts of oil on the garage floor. The damn gasket from the old filter had stuck up top and I didn't notice it. I screwed the new filter in as I have done 100 times before on different vipers. Oops! Don't let this happen to you! Double gaskets do not work! Never too old to learn a new lesson the hard way. And what a mess!

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats ***** but at least it started leaking before you were out driving.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is impressive what 50 psi is all about though. I've had it happen to me on a measly Ford Focus and the sound of the explosion and resulting mess were pretty amazing. Do it once and never forget to check for the old gasket again!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bummer and what a mess! I did the same thing with my little DD a few months ago. Lesson learned!

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes......that is a dumb mistake that only happens to a guy once.......-don't ask how I know. :rolleyes:

Not sure I'd go so far as to call it a dumb mistake especially given the number of times it's happened to people. You are correct though, it only happens once. :D Learned my lesson years ago changing oil on my old Oldsmopile.

tlcobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talking about dumb mistakes...i rebuilt a 383 in my 67 charger. Couldnt get it started so it was a 4 speed. We tried push starting. I thought i put the timing chain in wrong or a bad cam so pulled cam out put a new one in. The last thing was dist. Then it hit me i wired the plugs in the wrong direction. Lol. I was 18 many years ago.

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your not alone I had the exact problem last year dam gasket , there was oil everywhere hood liner, belt ,intake, exhaust, fan, alternator, what a mess it took the three of us 8 hours to clean everything and used 8 cans of brake cleaner and still 1 year later in's still drops here and there, there must be defective filters because it's never happen on any other cars and have done over 100 oil changes in my lifetime.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget to put the drain plug back in before you start adding fresh oil...... Just saying!

LOL

How about adding fresh oil before starting the engine......:2tu:

We should change the title of this thread to Confession Corner......

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad I remembed this thread as i was changin my oil tonight. Sure as s@!& my oil filter gasket was not on the filter when I removed the old filter. Sorry it happened to you but glad I was able to learn from it.

Wayne64SS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
always always always check the old filter for the gasket. Same kinda rule as never put the drain plug back in unless you have the wrench in your hand to tighten it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62