Changing Radio Unit - 96 Viper

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my 96 Viper a week ago, and the left front speaker/tweeter do not work. The previous owner put a Sony CD unit into the car, so I am asking the dumb questions here (note I do have the stock unit, which I think looks better than the SOny, but thats personal perference I know);
-are all the speakers powered from the amps in the trunk, of which I see 3? OR, are the front speakers powered from the radio unit it self?
-does anyone know how to remove the trim surrounding the radio and heat controls, so I can get the radio out?
-are the two amps on the pass side of the trunk powering the front speakers, and if so I can swap the inputs to see if the problem is with the Sony unit or one of the amps is dead

thanks in advance!
Tomer
PS I did my first VIper wash and got water into the heater intake thru the hood vent. Is there a trick to be used here, perhaps put saran wrap over the hole?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1) OK to get water down the hood vents. All 3.

2) probably a wire in the door harness. Mine did it at.

3) radio-surround bezel just pries / pops off. careful. It goes all the way down to the shifter

4) The amps in the trunk power everything

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had the wiring in the door replaced.. the dealership busted it when they put in the new micro switch..

frown.gif
I would check that first.. not that I know much..
tongue.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten