Chasing Vipers at Willow Springs

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last weekend we had a blast at Willow Springs at the West Coast Racing event. Red group had 10 cars?, 6 were vipers. Great weather and wide open track. Video is a 3 pack of ACR's with cameo shots of the Penn Bros. and the smoking fast Catwood!

My viper contuinues to eat cam and crank sensors, had to give up at the end of the video, (engine missing at 5200 RPM) but had a great time running with a couple of SoCal guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KChoCDkfAdg

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great video :1up:

You get a real sense of speed when the White viper with the Red stripes goes past :) Looks like the run off areas of that track could make a real mess of your car! Was it the weight of those bugs on the windscreen that slowed you down on the last lap :D Good to see a GTS out there too :)

Thanks for posting I enjoyed watching that :)

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good Mike!!!

Wish my track season was just starting instead of ending....

Good luck with those sensors....

1HOTV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Video Mike. Nice lines especially with Ben and Dan out your front view. Looked like a perfect day for racing.
Sorry I missed out.

Glenn

OP
OP
redtanrt10

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great video :1up:

You get a real sense of speed when the White viper with the Red stripes goes past :) Looks like the run off areas of that track could make a real mess of your car! Was it the weight of those bugs on the windscreen that slowed you down on the last lap :D Good to see a GTS out there too :)

Thanks for posting I enjoyed watching that :)

Ben in the orange ACR was going slow waiting for us, the white viper is probably at 125 vs. us at 100, at the end of that straight we're all about 150. Yeah the run off is all gravel like most tracks in the desert SW, if you go off usually not too bad except for gravel in the tire beads, but the gravel makes it on the way to the track so that's why I have a sandblasted windshield. ViperX got a big windshield crack in an earlier session from a Boss Mustang that got two wheels off in 9, the turn leading to the front straight. My audio is weak but if you listen closely it started to miss again at 5200, I've had a number of issues with cam and crank sensors. Here's a picture of Dan Cragin from DC replacing the crank sensor in the parking area. Lasted 2 sessions before more issues, probably the cam sensor now.

Dan_Cragin_Willow.jpg

Looks good Mike!!!

Wish my track season was just starting instead of ending....

Good luck with those sensors....

Mike, 45 degrees at dawn, 85 at 3 pm, load up and head West! Winter is great on these desert tracks. Big club event at Spring Mountain NV hosted by Mike VonQ, mid Novemeber. Have your crew get your viper out here, then keep it here till Spring!

Great Video Mike. Nice lines especially with Ben and Dan out your front view. Looked like a perfect day for racing.
Sorry I missed out.

Glenn

Glenn, great time and the track was just re-paved, get to their March event. Didn't want to pass Dan or Ben as they ***** about my motor, fun letting them ahead after passing other cars then catching back up. Hope to see you and Steph soon! Mike

OP
OP
redtanrt10

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Austin, good to see you back! Hope all is well. I'll be in HOU for Christmas, hope to catch up!!

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like you still had a great time Mike, wish I was there. Hope you can get the sensor issue resolved soon. Dan C. replaced my cam sensor also but I have not driven the car hard ever so won't know if that fixes my limp mode issue. Wonder if your problems will go away if you were to go back to the OEM engine controller?

OP
OP
redtanrt10

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce, we had a blast and a low number of cars in the red group. You need to come to their March event. Not sure if it's the Mopar controller, the first time I had issues was at 2 years ago CA Speedway, backfire (no codes) at 5200-5400. I switched back to stock, ran it on the toll road and it still did it. Turned out to be the crank sensor. Last November at CA Speedway I hit the rev limiter in 4th on the front straight. Went into limp mode, then got it cleared. Two sessions later limp mode and a CEL, turned out to be the cam sensor. Dan told me at Willow that if you hit the rev limiter with the Mopar controller it will most likely put you in limp mode since the redline is increased, it shocks the system harder. In between I didn't have issues at Spring Mountain or Chuckwalla, ViperX thinks my electronics are possessed! Hoping Dan C can figure it out, I got a note from a guy in UT who said similar issues and they replaced some of the wiring harness.

When it runs fine it really pulls strong, couple times in the videos you can see how quickly I can close on Dan and Ben after I clear traffic. Just so frustrating when these issues pop up. Can't make the November dyno day but send me a note then next time you make it down here. Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets