Check Engine Light ... SCT Scanner or Purchase OBD2 Code Reader? ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I let the car sit for 2 days ... got in it , noticed it had a flat tire ... drove it 1 mile up to put air in the tire and the check engine light came on.

Would the ABS sensors see the difference in tire diameter from left to right rear tire and throw a code?

I have the 9550 SCT scanner, but it hasnt been used before ( cant find anyone with the dongle ) ... will it still allow me to read and clear codes?

If not, will ANY obd2 code reader work , or do you have to use a specific brand for our cars (what brand) ?

I put air in the tire, if that was the code, will it reset itself after a certain amount of miles? I only drove it about 5 miles after putting the air in it.

The code didnt reset after I shut the car off and restarted it.

2001 GTS

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should be able to plug the SCT into the OBD port to read and clear the codes

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What MT said. Also, if you can't find the right connector easily, pick up an OBDII reader at O'Reilly's or Advance, they're only $39 and will help you figure out what the code you threw means.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK thanks guys, I wasnt sure if the SCT had to be "used" or "unlocked" first, since its the version with NOTHING installed tune wise from the factory. ---

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I let the car sit for 2 days ... got in it , noticed it had a flat tire ... drove it 1 mile up to put air in the tire and the check engine light came on.

Would the ABS sensors see the difference in tire diameter from left to right rear tire and throw a code?

no, thats what you have an ABS light for.

I have the 9550 SCT scanner, but it hasnt been used before ( cant find anyone with the dongle ) ... will it still allow me to read and clear codes?

yes

If not, will ANY obd2 code reader work , or do you have to use a specific brand for our cars (what brand) ?

any will work. Including the ones that Autozone lets you use in the parkinglot for free

I put air in the tire, if that was the code, will it reset itself after a certain amount of miles? I only drove it about 5 miles after putting the air in it.

depends on the code. If it is a self clearing code then it will take a few complete drive cycles before clearing.

The code didnt reset after I shut the car off and restarted it.

no surprise there

-------------------------------------
goodluck, and let us know what code you pull

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog