Chrysler Management Changes: Ralph Assumes head of SRT and Motorsports !

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
"""Ralph Gilles is appointed President and CEO of the newly formed Street and Racing Technology (SRT) Brand, Chrysler Group’s cross-brand performance unit, and the Company’s Motorsports activities. He continues with design responsibility for all exterior and interior design activities for all Dodge, Ram, Chrysler and Jeep Brand vehicles.""""

Check out today's Chrysler announcements:
http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=10974&mid=2

Sounds like Chrysler is getting even MORE serious about the Performance Brand and Motorsports ! "Do what you love, and never work a day."

We all know Ralph LOVES the Viper (DO READ HIS NEWEST VIPER MAG COVER LETTER!) and Loves MotorSports...

Congrats on the "blended" assignments Ralph..... Hope this means you can make ALL the DVCup races from VIR on...

Last edited:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
newly formed srt brand. its called marketing- keepin it fresh and updated sounding to the public, and of some sort it is.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very excited to hear this, knowing that Ralph is just as much a fan of SRT as we are. Hopefully this is a promotion for him!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like a DEmotion but i dont know the structure there...

as long as he likes it, congrats to him

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, ditto here. I don't understand the "Newly formed SRT Brand"?

Recently, RAM was spun off of Dodge, creating its own Brand.

Now, SRT has apparently become its own "BRAND" rather than a model. Hence, my comment that it bodes well for performace vehicles within Chrysler. And who better to be the CEO of THAT division than the guy who not only designs but also races them ?

Ralph will not be the head of Dodge.... that is now 1 duty of the Chrysler Canada CEO ... Reid Bigland.

Pick the Brand YOU would like the most to be the CEO of:

SRT
RAM
JEEP
DODGE
CHRYSLER

Ram is no longer a Dodge......I am therefore ASSuming that the 2013 Viper will be an SRT Viper ? Lots to shake out....

Last edited:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recently, RAM was spun off of Dodge, creating its own Brand.

Now, SRT has apparently become its own "BRAND" rather than a model. Hence, my comment that it bodes well for performace vehicles within Chrysler. And who better to be the CEO of THAT division than the guy who not only designs but also races them ?

Ralph will not be the head of Dodge.... that is now 1 duty of the Chrysler Canada CEO ... Reid Bigland.

Pick the Brand YOU would like the most to be the CEO of:

SRT
RAM
JEEP
DODGE
CHRYSLER

Ram is no longer a Dodge......I am therefore ASSuming that the 2013 Viper will be an SRT Viper ? Lots to shake out....

No, he is no longer the head of the Dodge brand, that has moved to Reid Bigland. This article hit my Google News Alert today:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110607/CARNEWS/110609893

-mb

Thanks for the clearing that up. :)

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to Ralph and maybe he can also over see final line assembly quality paint control for the new Viper or get new people. Just bought a new Durango HEMI and its perfect with 3 miles on it. Keep up the good work Ralph !!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think what everyone also is overlooking is that Ralph is the first CEO I ever remember who was the Head of two dynamic portions of Chrysler. He is the Head of Design, and at the same time was Head of Dodge cars. He is still Head of Design ,which to many is quite arguably the most prestigious position in any automotive company and now he will front both the SRT Division and Dodge Motorsports also. So now we have a workaholic Head of ;

1. Design
2. SRT
3. Dodge Motorsports

It is not common for the head of SRT to be in charge of Dodge Motorsports as others usually run that Dept., so it seems he has gone from the man in charge of 2 important entities at Chrysler to three. I am pretty convinced Ralph will not ever get the title of CEO of Sleeping , as it is hard to see how he does it all now.

Kudos for the Racing CEO of SRT, Dodge Motorsports, and the man directing the artistic ebb and flow of Chrysler. From the sales side, seeing the consumer reactions to the new interiors and designs of the vehicles that have debutted since Ralph has taken over those reins, the World appears to be a beautiful place.

If you considered a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram product just last year, just go in this year and sit in the machines, smell the leather, sight along the new body lines, embrace the interiors, as it is true sensory overload. Buyers are leaving this year in cars that in the past , frankly , sat on the lot, and now they are flying out of here, and design is the new manta for the Pentstar division --- that and true passionate folks are back in charge in Detroit.

Just my humble opinion , except that my analysis of Mr. Gilles is friggin spot on !!!!

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CONGRATS COREY VETZSUK!!!

I think what everyone also is overlooking is that Ralph is the first CEO I ever remember who was the Head of two dynamic portions of Chrysler. He is the Head of Design, and at the same time was Head of Dodge cars. He is still Head of Design ,which to many is quite arguably the most prestigious position in any automotive company and now he will front both the SRT Division and Dodge Motorsports also. So now we have a workaholic Head of ;

1. Design
2. SRT
3. Dodge Motorsports

It is not common for the head of SRT to be in charge of Dodge Motorsports as others usually run that Dept., so it seems he has gone from the man in charge of 2 important entities at Chrysler to three. I am pretty convinced Ralph will not ever get the title of CEO of Sleeping , as it is hard to see how he does it all now.

Kudos for the Racing CEO of SRT, Dodge Motorsports, and the man directing the artistic ebb and flow of Chrysler. From the sales side, seeing the consumer reactions to the new interiors and designs of the vehicles that have debutted since Ralph has taken over those reins, the World appears to be a beautiful place.

If you considered a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram product just last year, just go in this year and sit in the machines, smell the leather, sight along the new body lines, embrace the interiors, as it is true sensory overload. Buyers are leaving this year in cars that in the past , frankly , sat on the lot, and now they are flying out of here, and design is the new manta for the Pentstar division --- that and true passionate folks are back in charge in Detroit.

Just my humble opinion , except that my analysis of Mr. Gilles is friggin spot on !!!!
Quoted for truth.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Do what you love, and never work a day."
Too funny, as I sent a similar text earlier today. As one of the hardest working guys out there, hopefully this will be even more rewarding for Ralph as he can focus on one of his greatest passions - outside of his family of course. And some Viper owners won't feel so guilty buying a Jeep SRT8 instead of a Dodge SRT8 now... :)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me, Ralph has become the face, voice and spirit of the company. He is pure, unadulterated "car guy". He is Iacocca with a groove on. He is Chrysler's Cool.

Last edited:

graphite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations Ralph! Greetings from Germany. Markus and I are about to embark on a pilgrimmage to 24 Hours du Mans automobile in LeMans France. This is a hint Ralph. Not subtle but still just a hint. I miss watching Viper win and race at LeMans 24 Hours Endurance. Drew

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations Ralph! Greetings from Germany. Markus and I are about to embark on a pilgrimmage to 24 Hours du Mans automobile in LeMans France. This is a hint Ralph. Not subtle but still just a hint. I miss watching Viper win and race at LeMans 24 Hours Endurance. Drew

This Mr. Gilles, hint hint

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
To me, Ralph has become the face, voice and spirit of the company. He is pure, unadulterated "car guy". He is Iacocca with a groove on. He is Chrysler's Cool.

Oh, Noo, Im 1000% agreed with a Tax Guy! Great analysis Bob

Now that LeMans/ACO and FIA have partnered for a 2012 ENDURANCE SERIES, with a USA race planned, who knows? {Perfect timing for G-5} http://www.insideline.com/car-news/fia-world-endurance-championship-announced.html

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
RECENT PRESS, and you can read the link and leave a COMMENT!

""""Until today, Ralph Gilles both served as Chrysler’s senior vice president of design and the president and CEO of the Dodge brand, but a new appointment will bring his day job even closer to the high-performance vehicles that he adores.

Chrysler announced this morning that Gilles has been appointed the president and CEO of its new Street and Racing Technology brand. Although previously an in-house engineering organization, the automaker has seen fit to flesh this group into a stand-alone brand (much like Mopar) that incorporates the SRT engineering group (which crafts high-performance offerings for the Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep brands), along with various motorsport and racing operations.
An official announcement notes Gilles will retain his design-related position while leading the Street and Racing Technology brand...."""""""

LINK:

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/chr...brand-names-ralph-gilles-president-51585.html

Last edited:

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Dodge/ Chrysler/ Fiat is doing here is separating the SRT from Dodge sort of like AMG is to Mercedes.

It may make the SRT vehicles more pricey but it definately should be good for the group to add prestige to the lineup.

When one ponders whether this is a step up or a step sideways or other for Ralph, one should ask ones self, "How many new American car brands have been initiated in the past few years?" I think, None! if anything we have only seen brands being discarded and shutdown.

Congrats Ralph!

Good luck!

vooodoo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THANKS EVERYONE for all the kind words!! He is very excited for this new role!

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe no matter what, Ralph will be credited along with Sergio with the revitalization of the company. He proved he could do it and he did. Now with that out of the way, he can get back to what he enjoys most. Design and performance which is what really drives an auto company anyway. I say it is a good move for him and one Sergio and crew probably sat down over a beer to discuss with him, asking for and respecting his opinion. In Ralph's shoes, I would have chosen the exact same thing.

He is way too talented to just hold the position of CEO. Hey on the positive side, what else has he got to do now but finish the damn GEN V Viper already. :) :) :)

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just branding. Putting the name SRT on my Viper or another Chrysler vehicle doesn't change it. It's all hogwash. Seems like a lateral move designed to keep people happy, if you ask me. I guess the answer will be in the future lineup.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
It's just branding. Putting the name SRT on my Viper or another Chrysler vehicle doesn't change it. It's all hogwash. Seems like a lateral move designed to keep people happy, if you ask me. I guess the answer will be in the future lineup.

Putting the "NAME" SRT doesn't change the vehicle... true...

BUT, what SRT vehicle was built with JUST badge engneering? NADA!!!!

SRT vehicles are ALWAYS significantly enhanced to extreme performance levels, and I can't think of a better person, with plenty of track tenure, to lead the SRT group to some amazing products!

Congrats Ralph!

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should take some stress off him while enjoying the performance side a bit more.

On the other side seems like an odd business move for a man that has become the face of the company.... :hmmm:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why oh why isn't Chrysler using Ralph in TV commercials??? Perfect mix of cool, smooth and style.....pretty much all the reasons we buy the cars we do.

At least SRT has a leader that understands what real performance is and should be. I think Sergio knows what he is doing.....with Ferrari leading Europe and SRT leading the USA as the performance standards other will try to follow.

I'm now expecting the GenV to be at a performance level none of use would have imagined 2 years ago :2tu:

Cheers,
George

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry Avip, we need to get you moved over from enthusiast to member with 2000 plus posts, but I politely take offense to your comment , as I think your answer is based on a few naive notions.

One is that Ralph is Head of Design and that has not changed , and one he was also Head of Dodge Cars. Now he is in charge of a new entity which is what Sergio already did with branding away the Ram Truck side and the Dodge car side. Ralph now has the responsibility of reinvigorating the SRT line and making it stand on it's own in a manner not done in the past. Oh, by the way , Ralph , Sergio is also putting you in charge of Dodge Motorsports, so far from being a lateral move, it is a promotion that has not been seen before by anyone in Chrysler Corp. Far from being even close to just a branding statement or a lateral move, it is an unprecedented statement of confidence from Sergio Marchione and one only a automotive fanatic would take on.