Clear Bra...any thoughts or opinions on this product?

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have Clear Bra on the 2008 Viper ACR I recently acquired and I'm not sure I like the appearance of it but if it truly does work as indicated, I can certainly live with it. Any thoughts or comments? :usa:

paul tat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took it off of mine for the same reason, it didn't look good. I put 30k miles on my gen IV and had only 1 rock chip.

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good job should be hard to see. Of course a good job probably cost more for the labor and you're covering more to avoid lines in obvious places.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul I suggest you reach down on your rocker panels and then tell us again how many chips you have. I promise you that they are beat up... and there are more chips there than you can count.

paul tat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was referring to the front facia and hood. I did not like the appearance in those areas. I should have specified. I did not remove the clear bra from the side sills because it was nearly impossible to see.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clear Bra is the best thing you can do for a car. My only advice is just make sure you find yourself a really good installer.

FEDBYVORTECH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From what I have seen, you really have to look close to see the one on the fascia. But that hood line is pretty noticeable. I have seen that line on all sorts of cars. Almost starts to look like a wax line. I wonder if those guys are using a spray wax or paste. And I am sure your rocker panels are beat. Behind the rear wheel seems to hold up really well with out anything.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 quarters of my car it covered in it. The only issues I have is why didnt I cover the whole car. I love the stuff

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is very well installed but I still need to be careful when waxing the hood... it will really show up if you let it cake up on the seam. Especially on dark paint. You usually can't see mine at all unless you get the sun on it at just the right angle. I have a little rubber tipped tool I use to clean along the seam on the hood after a good wash/wax. It does a great job of making it a truely "invisible" bra.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 08 has Venture Shield on it. It was installed by a guy in Shrewbury, MA. Unbelievable job. My 09 has the same product but installed out here in Colorado, big difference in appearance. Everyone that sees the 08 is amazed at how great a job the guy did. So the key is to make sure you have a great installer.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have my 08 ACR done on the side sills, mirrors, behind the rear tires and just the front fascia. IT is not onthe hood so you can not tell.

Bruce

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my 08 with 21000 miles and the paint is in amazing shape except when the light hits the rocker panels a certain way they look horrible there are some many little chips. I wish the original owner had put the clear bra on but I think it's pointless now.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It looks a little funny for the first couple weeks then it smooths out.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've thought about getting one on mine, but I've noticed a lil' rock chip on the bottom front fascia on my wife's car (Lexus clear bra from the factory) & to me it looks just as bad as it would if she didn't have a clear bra. I mean how do you fix it on a clear bra so its not noticable, on paint you could at least wet sand/touch it up. I guess what I'm asking is if it gets a deep enough chip in the bra, it looks just as bad & you can't fix it to make it look better can you, just asking? jmo

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This area met the Canada corner tire wall at Road America. It's hard to see but there are black scuff marks and tears in the clear bra. The impact pushed the headlamp assembly in and cracked the fender. I cut away the damaged clear bra and.....there is not one mark on the paint underneath even around the crack. Not one mark! The clear bra on the side sill also is damaged. When I peel it off, I'll take before and after pics. It looks horrible, especially underneath.

I was sold on the clear bra three years ago when I bought the car and this clearly validates my decision to put it on. The '99 GTS I had previously suffered horrible sand blasting and rock chips to the front facia and hood. It was black. :(

You must be registered for see images attach

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've thought about getting one on mine, but I've noticed a lil' rock chip on the bottom front fascia on my wife's car (Lexus clear bra from the factory) & to me it looks just as bad as it would if she didn't have a clear bra. I mean how do you fix it on a clear bra so its not noticable, on paint you could at least wet sand/touch it up. I guess what I'm asking is if it gets a deep enough chip in the bra, it looks just as bad & you can't fix it to make it look better can you, just asking? jmo

Gerry, I know what you're saying. I'm in that boat right now. Just waiting to decide "when" I should replace the clear bra. It can only be fixed if you get light scratches in it but not dings. You can use a super fine polishing compound to buff it as long as you're careful not to burn it.
But you're right... if it gets a ding, then the ding is basically in there until you replace it.

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got my 08 with 21000 miles and the paint is in amazing shape except when the light hits the rocker panels a certain way they look horrible there are some many little chips. I wish the original owner had put the clear bra on but I think it's pointless now.

There is always the option of pulling the rockers off and getting them repainted (with a clear-bra follow up). I know what you mean about the 100's of tiny chips. :crazy2:

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a clear bra and if you look closely you can see the seams. It also is damaged in a few areas. Not 100% perfect upon close inspection. From a few feet it isn't noticeable. I would much rather have the option to replace the clear bra entirely or in sections vs. knowing the only option was to repair the paint or repaint. To me it is disposable protection and piece of mind.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is very well installed but I still need to be careful when waxing the hood... it will really show up if you let it cake up on the seam. Especially on dark paint. You usually can't see mine at all unless you get the sun on it at just the right angle. I have a little rubber tipped tool I use to clean along the seam on the hood after a good wash/wax. It does a great job of making it a truely "invisible" bra.

My installer suggested using blue painters tape on all edges where it meets the painted surface, about an 1/8" overlap to avoid wax from getting caked up there. His big concern was that if wax works its way under the clear bra, it could start to lift up.

My only regret is not covering the entire hood of the car as I did a more traditional front portion wrap. I would never own a new car and not have it clear bra'd.

Cheers,
George

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerry, I know what you're saying. I'm in that boat right now. Just waiting to decide "when" I should replace the clear bra. It can only be fixed if you get light scratches in it but not dings. You can use a super fine polishing compound to buff it as long as you're careful not to burn it.
But you're right... if it gets a ding, then the ding is basically in there until you replace it.

There are two new films out that have a new self healing top coat. So if you get scratches you apply a little heat (pull it out into the sun) and the scratches heal... go away. Xpel Ultimate and Suntek are the two films. I install the Suntek film because I think it is a little better and it is a great film. Bugs do not etch it and it is very durable. as with anything else films get better as technology does... and the films out today are much better than even a few years ago. Unfortunately paint is getting softer and softer... so a clear bra really is a must have if you want to keep your vehicle looking new.