Clutch bleed procedure

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just push the clutch pedal real fast like 20-40 times(car not running). That should release most of the air in the system. If it doesn't, repeat the process.

Reaction score
I would not pump fast because you will aerate the fluid doing so. Push at a moderate rate and yes it will take 10-15 pumps to get the pedal feel back and then hold down while another opens the bleeder. It is the same as brakes, if you pump the pedal to fast you just make it worse.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I opened the bleeder screw and had someone push the pedal. Now I'm getting zero feel, at least before I got some feel and was able to engage.

If I lay a brick on the pedal, open the bleeder screw and use my vacula to **** the fluid out will that pull out all the air?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After pushing all the old fluid out and replaceing with new fluid, The person breaking the bleed screw should leave a finger Firmly pressed on the end of the screw to act as a one way valve.

Pedal guy pumps 20 times and holds to the floor. When the screw is cracked air is forced passed the the finger then the finger seals the hole back up Not letting air back in giving you time to shut the screw/valve

Do this a few times. It can be a PITA if you let air get sucked back in as you will be chasing your tail (as chuck told me) (and i found out first hand taking me 1hr to complete a 20min job)

I assume this thing makes the job easier:
Viper Remote Clutch Slave Cylinder Bleeder :: Transmission, clutch, flywheel :: Drivetrain, Brake & Suspension :: Snake-Oyl Products :: Dodge Viper Products, Parts, Accessories

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did my RT/10 about 6 months ago. Same as a typical brake bleed process... Friend in the car pump 3 times and hold down.... while I, under the car, opened the bleeder valve and let it squirt into a can. It's a little messy but not too bad. Cardboard under the car and a catch can made it a very clean process. Fill the reservoir as needed and continue process till level is full and no air in the line. Really easy to do... The worst part was getting the car up in the air to crawl under it.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One person.

-> Connect Mityvac vacuum system to bleed screw using pointed angle adapter shoved in bleeder port.

-> Start vacuum.

-> Open bleeder.

-> Keep an eye of fluid level in reservoir and add as needed.

-> Close bleeder when you figure you're done.

-> Drink to your accomplishment. :beer:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, I probably asked this before but forgot where...Which Mityvac model do you have? I need to ditch my Motive.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck with however you do it. Every time I have, I remember that the bleeder screw is a very sloppy fit (not like brake bleeders) in the threaded hole and I'm sure air is sucked into the system past the threads, no matter how you put your finger.

Need Big Brake Dave to come up with a braided SS extension hose coming up off the bellhousing, terminating in a real brake bleeder so you can do this under the hood.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck with however you do it. Every time I have, I remember that the bleeder screw is a very sloppy fit (not like brake bleeders) in the threaded hole and I'm sure air is sucked into the system past the threads, no matter how you put your finger.

Need Big Brake Dave to come up with a braided SS extension hose coming up off the bellhousing, terminating in a real brake bleeder so you can do this under the hood.

That is a good point Tom. Some times it takes 5 minutes and the next time 30 minutes. I think that if the person in the car initially pumps up pressure (no matter how little) and on the last stroke the person under the car opens the bleeder when the pedal starts down and closes while the pedal is near the bottom or held at the bottom it works the best.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala