Clutch Master Cylinder Removal/Replacement Needed?

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My clutch master cylinder will squeak if I haven't driven my Viper for a couple weeks. It is definately coming from the cylinder, not the linkage, as a dab of silicone grease on the m/c shaft right above the dust seal kills the squeak. After operating the clutch maybe 10 times, the squeak is pretty much gone. I've been told this is a sign that the seals in the clutch m/c are getting old and the unit should be replaced. It's a 2001 with under 13,000 miles.

Should I be proactive and swap out the clutch master cylinder? How difficult is it to replace the clutch master cylinder? Thanks.

OP
OP
C

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy enough to do. What sort of lube should be used that wouldn't harm the seals? Thanks.

brentsGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would think just some wd40 or white lithium grease. I've had many mastercylinder sqeaks over the years wifh different cars. I don't believe it to be a warning sign of future failure. I could be wrong but I wouldn't sweat it.

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about the squeek. try to grease it like others mentioned.. but I had a camaro that did it for like 3 years before