Clutch replacement----- anyone know

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm starting to think i'm in need of a clutch. It lets out REAL close to the top. Car has 8k miles on it but i bought it from a girl that put 3k miles on it and may have really rode the clutch. I'm assuming that the clutch was pretty tough in the car to begin with anyone else have clutch problem in less than 10k miles? Whats the going rate for a factory cluch replacement?

Thanks

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Jesus, no need for a "Vipertech" to replace a clutch!!

Some of you guys even go to the dealer for carwashes... I understand going for a problem or part unique to the Viper... But a clutch change on a T56 tranny is a standard procedure, any ***** mechanic can do it for 1/10th dealer cost.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Some of you guys even go to the dealer for carwashes... I understand going for a problem or part unique to the Viper... But a clutch change on a T56 tranny is a standard procedure, any ***** mechanic can do it for 1/10th dealer cost.

Obviously, not a Viper owner. :rolleyes:

While replacing a clutch is common procedure, it is very evasive... lots of stuff taken off. A good Vipertech will know what other problems to look for that is specific to Vipers, while the mechanic around the corner wouldn't know squat... not to mention the high chance of the guy taking the snake out on a joyride, while taking a break from tooling on minivans and Neons all day long.

You can go to any ghetto free health clinic to get your appendix removed too, but I'd rather go to a good hospital. :buttkick:

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

While replacing a clutch is common procedure, it is very evasive... lots of stuff taken off. A good Vipertech will know what other problems to look for that is specific to Vipers, while the mechanic around the corner wouldn't know squat... not to mention the high chance of the guy taking the snake out on a joyride, while taking a break from tooling on minivans and Neons all day long.

You can go to any ghetto free health clinic to get your appendix removed too, but I'd rather go to a good hospital. :buttkick:

Thank You Warfang! :cool:
jose must be drinking that *** again? :bonker:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
One thing we occasionally see is clutch fluid that is nearly black. You might check this and flush and replace --- surprisingly this can sometimes be the culprit and the clutch is fine.

Best of luck.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score

Obviously.... wrong. Why on earth would anyone hang around here if you don't own one?? lol.. you saying that makes me think you did!

I trust my mechanic, he's worked on at least 5 different cars... There is a gray line between Dodge dealer and Ghetto mechanic....

In fact, someone in this same board had his GTS taken for a joy ride FROM THE DEALER... there is never a 100% safe bet, unless you do it yourself.

You guys do what you want, keep taking the car to the dealer to have it waxed by the viper tech... I only take it when I need (in fact, just dropped it off to have 2 rear tires installed... local installer could not do it.)

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
jose must be drinking that *** again? :bonker:

Not enough to walk around in a wizard costume... ;)

Another thing...

Maybe getting this Viper was your dream car that you've worked all life for, but the reality is it is a VERY SIMPLE and plain car... don't get me wrong, I love it and own one.

But buying into all this hype and "Mystery Aura" about it is just plain ignorant, and those of us who know a basic thing or two about mechanics find it quite amusing...

Yes, you need a special tech for viper-specific problems...
Yes, you need a special tuner if you want to modify it (unless you know what you are doing)

Other than that the viper is not anymore complex than your average pickup-truck, or dune buggy for that matter. This is not a double overhead cam, 5 valve ferrari engine built with imported parts.

Viper is easy to work on, with Dodge parts available anywhere. That's why I love it and drive it, when I could afford other cars more expensive and axclusive.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE:
"I'm starting to think i'm in need of a clutch. It lets out REAL close to the top. Car has 8k miles on it but i bought it from a girl that put 3k miles on it and may have really rode the clutch. I'm assuming that the clutch was pretty tough in the car to begin with anyone else have clutch problem in less than 10k miles? Whats the going rate for a factory cluch replacement?"

I have over 12,000 miles on my viper which is used to test parts. It is not supercharged. If you do a lot of drag racing, and dump the clutch, then you will wear out the clutch very fast. \

When it is time to replace my clutch I will be installing a Centerforce clutch and pressure plate along woth a new throwout bearing. I also will be flushing the system and refilling it.

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well--this is how i look at it.

Bill- Thanks i will check that tomorrow.

Warfang- ebay?, stock clutch?, I'm not interested in a aftermarket clutch, they **** for everyday driving IMO.

Doing it myself, sure replaced a couple clutches before, did a H/C buildup and my C5, so i probably could tackle it but the question was what the going rate was. Then i figure out what my time is worth plus the fact i lose my "***** right" if something goes wrong, that alone is worth alot...lol.
Don't get me wrong i love working on my cars its a Saturday well spent if you ask me.
Like i said before i was just wondering what the going rate was if anyone paid it.

Time to check the fluid. Thanks again Bill

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Labor is about 2 to 3 hours max. If you know a good transmission shop, that is reputable. They will do it for around $200.00 and it truly is cut and dry. I have had this done at least 20 times, experimenting with different clutches. I allways have the pressure plate and flywheel balanced, as they are not done well. The pressure plate is the worst. Cost $50-$125 You will be amazed how out of balance they are. I have watched them change out my clutch, and it is not difficult on this car at all. Most transmission shops can do this with the greatest of ease, but I allways ask them if they have a tech, that is especially good at working with manual trans. I forgot to balance one, and had the them take it back out, and after doing it once, they had it back out in 45 minuetes, and back in the car, in the same time.
A Mustang GT is more difficult.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well--this is how i look at it.

Bill- Thanks i will check that tomorrow.

Warfang- ebay?, stock clutch?, I'm not interested in a aftermarket clutch, they **** for everyday driving IMO.

Doing it myself, sure replaced a couple clutches before, did a H/C buildup and my C5, so i probably could tackle it but the question was what the going rate was. Then i figure out what my time is worth plus the fact i lose my "***** right" if something goes wrong, that alone is worth alot...lol.
Don't get me wrong i love working on my cars its a Saturday well spent if you ask me.
Like i said before i was just wondering what the going rate was if anyone paid it.

Time to check the fluid. Thanks again Bill

The under $200 clutch IS stock, and NEW.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VIPER-DODGE-GENUINE-92-03-LUK-NEW-CLUTCH-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQihZ006QQitemZ160006705716QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Aftermarket clutches cost more. Here's one that came highly reccommended:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XTD-STAGE-3-CLUTCH-FLYWHEEL-92-02-VIPER-8-0L_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQihZ007QQitemZ170009120450QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Obviously.... wrong. Why on earth would anyone hang around here if you don't own one?? lol.. you saying that makes me think you did!

I trust my mechanic, he's worked on at least 5 different cars... There is a gray line between Dodge dealer and Ghetto mechanic....

In fact, someone in this same board had his GTS taken for a joy ride FROM THE DEALER... there is never a 100% safe bet, unless you do it yourself.

You guys do what you want, keep taking the car to the dealer to have it waxed by the viper tech... I only take it when I need (in fact, just dropped it off to have 2 rear tires installed... local installer could not do it.)
Plenty of non-owners hang out here... they usually wear the title of "Enthusiast"... like you. Talk to the admins to update your status if you're really a owner.

There are plenty of Dodge dealers that are Ghetto mechanics... going to a Dodge dealership doesn't guarantee you a Vipertech. There are also Vipertechs that are NOT affiliated with dealerships at all. While I'm sure there are competant mechanics out there, it takes a lengthy relationship before anyone in their right mind would send a Viper to an unknown grease monkey.

I'm sure you and your personal mechanic have a loving, trusting relationship, and I'm happy for you... let me know where you guys are registered. :rolleyes:

As for most people who don't have a mechanic soul mate, and confused as to who to take their Vipers to for a clutch job... they would have a better chance with someone labled a Vipertech than not.

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

---
Zorro speaks the truth here. What is wrong with this statement as opposed to the many other strong statements some of us post here? It seems that if someone wants to save money and do it themselves a PM or public post to Zorro might just help them out. Is it ok to own a Viper and not be able to afford what might be considered major repair costs? Isn't this one of the reasons some of us come here to the forum, so we can learn how to work on our own cars? Yes, I can afford to have a tuner do all my work, but that's only because of hard work and good fortune. I would rather have a guy like Zorro telling me it can be done than a Warfang telling me it can't.

Quote:

Obviously, not a Viper owner.

You can go to any ghetto free health clinic to get your appendix removed too, but I'd rather go to a good hospital.
---

Warfang, you know better than this, and if you don't you might consider there are many qualified mechanics and Viper owners that can replace a clutch on a Viper. Referral to ghetto was a statement of comparison I hope and not some "redneck" leaking out?

Thank You Warfang!
jose must be drinking that *** again?
---
Tator, you don't know me. We spoke but once regarding a wiring solution I was looking for and you seemed hurried and not focused when I called. Knowing everone has a bad day, I just have to assume this statement was made in jest on one of those days. I know most revere you here and it is well deserved, I'm just not sure I would ever call back.

Quote:

Plenty of non-owners hang out here... they usually wear the title of "Enthusiast"... like you. Talk to the admins to update your status if you're really a owner.
---
Cheap shot Sheriff John. I remember quite vividly when it was used against you. That's when you became a member, right? I'll tell you what is the lowest of low. Not the lurkers, but the VCA members who anonomously come here to opine with names like Warfang. Again, I ask what is a Warfang? Is it a kind of redneck?

Quote:
While I'm sure there are competant mechanics out there, it takes a lengthy relationship before anyone in their right mind would send a Viper to an unknown grease monkey.

I'm sure you and your personal mechanic have a loving, trusting relationship, and I'm happy for you... let me know where you guys are registered. :rolleyes:
---

Warfang, not everyone needs to have homosexual relationship with a grease monkey or personal mechanic where most of us come from. Is a Warfang a type of Brokeback redneck? Is grease monkey a term of endearment or could some of us that had grease monkeys for fathers take offense? Mechanic or ***** mechanic would have sufficed.

You fellows that like to come over to the SRT side are welcome and have every right, but if this is the type of stuff that spews out where you come from, I for one do not welcome it here. Again, disturbs my concentration and entertainment. I HATE BIGOTRY. It is not necessary to make your points using it.
Larry

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Few of us here understand that (quoting ullose)"It is a saturday well spent." when you work on your car.

It is fun, relaxing, gets my mind away from the office... I like it! cheap therapy for a stressed businessman.

We are beating a dead horse here trying to explain this point.

Warfang, with quotes like "Obviously not a vipeer owner" LOL... (ever heard a more condescending,cheesy statment?) You show us to be a new VCA-POSER Presidente.

Most everyone here knows me already, that is why I do not even waste 1 single PM in changing my "status"... I don't care! nothing to prove here. I already supplied my VIN when I registered, so... oh well!

But you are more concerned about your "Status" and spending more dough in a mechanic than your 10 year-old car is worth, just to convince yourself that you are important.

Last and not least...

This has to be the ONLY BOARD ON THE WEB where car fanatics, enthsusiasts, whatever... are FROWNED UPON by working on their own cars... :bonker:

POSERS!!!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
---
Cheap shot Sheriff John. I remember quite vividly when it was used against you. That's when you became a member, right? I'll tell you what is the lowest of low. Not the lurkers, but the VCA members who anonomously come here to opine with names like Warfang. Again, I ask what is a Warfang? Is it a kind of redneck?

Check your facts... I didn't join to get an upper hand on an argument. :rolleyes: I had sent in my money and paperwork at the time, but the VCA and admins here was slow in processing.

That statement I made was just pointing out a fact that it says "Enthusiast" under his name... which means he is NOT a Viper owner. I directed him to talk to the admins to correct the problem, because that is what had happened to me. It was NOT meant to be a ridicule... I was just being helpful.

As for my choice of ID here... I've already explained it a couple times. You seem to pay a lot of attention to my posts... wonder why you missed that?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I'm sure there are competant mechanics out there, it takes a lengthy relationship before anyone in their right mind would send a Viper to an unknown grease monkey.

---

Warfang, not everyone needs to have homosexual relationship with a grease monkey or personal mechanic where most of us come from. Is a Warfang a type of Brokeback redneck? Is grease monkey a term of endearment or could some of us that had grease monkeys for fathers take offense? Mechanic or ***** mechanic would have sufficed.

You fellows that like to come over to the SRT side are welcome and have every right, but if this is the type of stuff that spews out where you come from, I for one do not welcome it here. Again, disturbs my concentration and entertainment. I HATE BIGOTRY. It is not necessary to make your points using it.
Larry

Lighten up chuckles. That was a joke, and grease monkey is not an insult... I wish I was more of one. If you think it is, I sincerely apologize.

You seem to hate bigotry and my use of humor, but you turn around and use the same brokeback reference to make your point... sounds like hypocracy to me. But the difference is I used the *** reference in humor, while you used it in anger.

I don't know why you think gen3 guys are angels while the gen1/2 guys are these horrible people that come here to disturb your place of zen. You all give it as much as you take it... sometimes more so. The trick is to not take it so seriously.

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for my choice of ID here... I've already explained it a couple times. You seem to pay a lot of attention to my posts... wonder why you missed that?

The attention paid is because you've become a tad of an irritant, IMHO. You are more concerned with being buddies with your peers and seem to be just another yes guy that ***** up to his idols. When I first noticed your posts some months back, you really had some good stuff. I noticed and became interested in what you had to say

Sorry I missed your explanation, seriously. I don't search for your posts and was curious if you could direct me to the explanation or repeat it. I only have time to visit this one forum, every once an a while I will go to the gen 1/2.

No, I wrote very much with a sense of humor, it just went against you, like you do to make a point. I thought the Brokeback referrence was funnier than sh*t, but it could be you think that my humor is warped, that's ok too. I never claimed to be an angel, made a very direct statement recently about farting out of both sides of my ***, you do get that, right?

I don't distinguish between Generations, I'm and equal opportunity azzhole that has an opinion. Most gen 1/2 people come here and offer great information and satire, they are original. You just seem to be a wanna be so you can get a thumbs up from your buddies. I appreciate you recognizing that my state of zen is valuable to me and how serious I am. LOL

I'll just repeat it differently, I do not like bigotry and will attempt to use my "warped" humor to disarm it. The bigotry I am referring to is that some of you guys have seemingly got pissed at Zorro and are using ethnic referrences in a negative way. Too sensitive for you, too ***'n bad. "Lighten up chuckles" is just another one of your canned, regurgitated statements, used before...get original if you're going to call me a name...at least make it fun, I can take it, AS LONG AS YOU KEEP ETHNICITY OUT. Otherwise if you feel it's necessary to label me, as I did you, try to use some originality. :)
Larry

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The attention paid is because you've become a tad of an irritant, IMHO. You are more concerned with being buddies with your peers and seem to be just another yes guy that ***** up to his idols. When I first noticed your posts some months back, you really had some good stuff. I noticed and became interested in what you had to say

Sorry I missed your explanation, seriously. I don't search for your posts and was curious if you could direct me to the explanation or repeat it. I only have time to visit this one forum, every once an a while I will go to the gen 1/2.

No, I wrote very much with a sense of humor, it just went against you, like you do to make a point. I thought the Brokeback referrence was funnier than sh*t, but it could be you think that my humor is warped, that's ok too. I never claimed to be an angel, made a very direct statement recently about farting out of both sides of my ***, you do get that, right?

I don't distinguish between Generations, I'm and equal opportunity azzhole that has an opinion. Most gen 1/2 people come here and offer great information and satire, they are original. You just seem to be a wanna be so you can get a thumbs up from your buddies. I appreciate you recognizing that my state of zen is valuable to me and how serious I am. LOL

I'll just repeat it differently, I do not like bigotry and will attempt to use my "warped" humor to disarm it. The bigotry I am referring to is that some of you guys have seemingly got pissed at Zorro and are using ethnic referrences in a negative way. Too sensitive for you, too ***'n bad. "Lighten up chuckles" is just another one of your canned, regurgitated statements, used before...get original if you're going to call me a name...at least make it fun, I can take it, AS LONG AS YOU KEEP ETHNICITY OUT. Otherwise if you feel it's necessary to label me, as I did you, try to use some originality. :)
Larry
Nah... I got no problem with your humor. But you're the one bent out of shape when I was using the same references. You can't chastise me for joking about someone being ***, then you turn around and do the same thing. It didn't offend me one bit, but it did show your inconsistancy on the matter. I'm sure most of it is just lost in the faceless, 2D messages here. I'm sure over some drinks, we'd either be laughing it up the whole time or killing each other with broken beer bottles. :D

I don't even know zorro and i couldn't care less what his ethnicity is. I just realize NOW that "espanol" was after his name. I've never read past the "zorro" before. Just so you know, I'm no paleface either. When I speak here, I speak for myself. I don't know anyone here personally and feel no need here or anywhere else in my life to kiss up to anyone unless I was joking about it.

Last I checked, "chuckles" was a common reference to someone not getting a joke. I didn't know there was a usage maximum on it. I say "awesome" a lot too, and "the", "you", and "and". You must be a smarter person than I am to not recycle any words or phrases. :rolleyes:

Lighten up, The artist formerly known as "Chuckles". :p

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
um....

I was just wondering about a clutch replacement...sorry...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you guys have to get laid alittle more, and hopefully when you do i'm going to feel sorry for that poor girl. :)

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
um....

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you guys have to get laid alittle more, and hopefully when you do i'm going to feel sorry for that poor girl. :)

LOL...

that is how pretty much any argument ends up here.

We are all a bunch of [******]-throwing monkeys!!

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
um....

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:2tu: :2tu: Yeah, but lucky us. :cool: I apologize profusely for interfering with your question and thread. JMHO, listen to Zorro and the other hands on non-Viper techs here when it comes to Viper repairs if you want to be hands on, and that is not a crime. Best therapy I have at times, except when I can find that poor girl. LOL :crazy:

And just to be clear, i.e."both sides of...." Dan and the expert crew at DC Peformance are the only ones to touch my Viper including car washes if they want to!! :)
Larry

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All in good fun-
I still have not checked the fluid. I'm kinda wondering how the fluid could be so dirty like Bill said in the first place (8K miles). I think i'll have some spare time over the weekend i'll screw with it then.

Thanks again