Compiling a list driving tips, concepts, mantra's...Please help

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Compiling a list driving tips, concepts, mantra\'s...Please help

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to compile a list of things that would help drivers, young and old. Some of these are goofy and need to be refined. Can you add to this list?

Slow in Fast out

Look ahead

If you're not on the gas, you're on the brake, and if you're not on the brake, you're on the gas. You can be on both, but don't ever be on neither.

The 3 most important things in real estate are: location, location, location...And the 3 most important things in driving are: SMOOTH, SMOOTH, SMOOTH!!!!

Go fast in the fast parts and slow in the slow parts. Don't get the two confused.

Tires do three things well; accelerate, brake and turn. But when you combine two of them they don't work as well.

Don't square off corners and try to point and shoot drive. It's faster to drive a corner as a smooth arc than to make a short straight with two jerky turns.

Be aggressive in chicanes. Attack them and stay in front of the turns and as straight as you can. Being "behind" in a chicane is a bad thing.

Doing this well means being smooth and driving a car smoothly may require controlled chaos. Fast hand and foot movements do not mean you are not smooth.

Alignments are important.

Seat time is important.

Concentrate on where you are going, not where you are. There is usually nothing you can do about where you are, but you can do something about where you are going.

Instructor: Are you into the ABS?
Me: No.
Instructor: Go deeper.

Regards,

Reaction score
Re: Compiling a list driving tips, concepts, mantra\'s...Please help

Dave comments are correct slow in fast out, etc.

I am an advocate of High Performance Driving programs for Viper owners as well as family and friends.

Early in 1996 my wife was told, by a couple of her friends, that Vipers were dangerous cars. There were a couple accidents that resulted in death and serious injury to the occupants. I was aware of these accidents and assured her that Viper's were not the fault, but driver error.

To help rest her fears I started taking Skip Barber Driving schools to improve my knowledge and driving skill.

The first Skip Barber school (2 day) was great. To continue development of my skills I have, taken to date, 9 Skip Barber programs at Laguna Seca.

As a Viper owner you know the massive torque instantly available. Many new Vipers have not made the trip home from the dealership?

Dodge and the VCA have negotiated discounts for VCA members, with Skip Barber. A 25% discount is given for 1 and 2 day High Performance Driving school. A 10% discount is given on other driving programs (Car Control, Racing School, Laping Days, etc.

I suggest starting with the 2 day school then a couple Car Control and then the 3 day racing school. Then go to open track events with a Skip Barber instructor in the passenger seat. Training and Seat time is the name of the game.

prohydro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Allow me to add a few...

Brake and downshift in a straight line.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Keep the shiny side up.

'Tis faster to go through the bumpy stuff than the stalled car in front of you (just a little personal anecdote).

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

These are great! My 2 cents:

I think its important to convay the concept of weight transfer and how that effects the tire management. Try to understand what the car can and can't do, rather then finding the correct line. The correct line can only be found and understood if you understand what you are trying to make the car do.

Also once you realize you are off-line don't add steering or other inputs to get to the correct line. Just try to drive the line you have and maintain speed. At this point adding inputs will only transfer weight at times when you don't intend to. This can attribute to spins, etc... Try to make the line better on the next lap.

To go fast, think in terms of momentum. Where are you on the brakes too long or can you reach full throttle before the apex, etc..

OK, now you can start the SMACK.

OP
OP
D

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's another one...

When someone passing YOU (I realized that NONE of you EVER get passed
You must be registered for see images
but here's a great rule:

When someone is passing you ALWAYS HOLD YOUR OWN LINE and don't do anything unpredictable that will come as a surprise to the faster passer. Unexpected moves from you cause the passer to probably have to modify their faster line and possibly make a boo boo that could include you and your fenders. The correct thing to do is watch your rear view mirrors, anticipate the pass, and offer the passer a clear signal of where to pass and then allow time for their MOVE and continue on your way. Resist the urge to drag race them into the turn and just let them by calmly.

Tittle

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Point-by the faster driver riding your tail --- using the INDEX finger.

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When in doubt, both feet out. In a spin, both feet in.

If you see you're going to hit the wall, take both hands off the wheel. Unless you can bench-press 6000 lb, stiff-arming the wheel won't protect you and the impact will likely shatter your wrists and forearms.

How to make a small fortune in racing ... Start with a large fortune.

Don't go to the track with a redneck. If there's a redneck already there when you arrive then stay off the track.

Identifying characteristics:
1.)A redneck's last four words in life are usually - "Hey y'all, watch this!"
2.)His cousin's last three words are - "That ain't nothin'!"
3.)Throws beer cans at the corner workers.

prohydro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Another one:

From ex-Factory Acura pilot (and former champ car driver, now Champ car commentator) Parker Johnstone:

Your hands deal in feet and your feet deal in inches.

Meaning, going into a corner, make large adjustments with the steering wheel to get yourself on your racing line, and then fine tune that line with the throttle.

Also, who could forget the ever classic "Drive it like you stole it."