Confused about the sound a Viper should have

Carl 2002 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard a number of different setups in person and in this forum and still haven't heard the sound I am expecting (or thought I should expect). Some of these setups sound like a sraight six with an open header...maybe its just me. When I hear some of these Firebirds, Camaros and Mustangs, I figured my Viper should have the same low rumbling, intimidating tone...only twice as badass! I know its a V-10 as opposed to a V-8, but does it really make that much difference?
I'm contemplating an exhaust change from stock but haven't quite found which way to go. Has anyone simply replaced their stock cats for Hi Flow's leaving the rest stock) and noticed a difference? I know this is a tired old thread, but I'm hoping the experts in the forum can help me with my decision once and for all. I know the sound is personal preference, but I'm hoping you know what sound I'm looking for and know whether its obtainable or not. :confused:

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you want you can give me a call and listen to my setup! Doesn't sound anything like a 6 ******! :laugh:

OP
OP
C

Carl 2002 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Casey, I'm sure your sound is impressive as is some of the other modified's..still different from what I'd expect, yet impressive. But mine's stock. The only mods I intend are Hi Flow filters, smooth tubes, T&D's and possibly a larger exhaust.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It ain't a V8. Think of it this way... the 488cid V10 is more like a docile emissions legal V8, but with two extra cylinders. ;)

Trouble is, if you ever expect it to sound like the V8s you mentioned... you bought the wrong car. The firing order will never sound as obnoxious as even an anemic Mustang 4.6 w/ pipes. However, that V10 can sound pretty mean w/ the right mods. I think it is more a question of re-tuning your ear to appreciate the V10 wail.

And hey, at least they don't sound so much like UPS trucks anymore... :eek: :D :usa:

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The closest I have heard to a V-10 sound like a V-8 is with the full Belenger set up with stock cats cut to 3". It was did produce a lot of resonance with freeway crusing. Getting the Viper V-10 to sound like a small block V-8 is like trying to get a Ferrari flat 12 to sound like one. Difficult. Why would you want to?!

Jeff Cline

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the Viper world, and am not an owner, but I thought the V-10 fired the 10 cylinders in pairs, so that the firing sequence is more like a 5 cylinder than a 10 cylinder? I test drove a 2001 GTS a few months ago, even got to bring it home for a day. With the stock exhaust system, is sounded very much like my V-6 Chevy Beretta I bought years ago.

No offense intended, but I was wondering if that is why the sound is so odd.

Jeff

OP
OP
C

Carl 2002 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nate, I listened to those earlier before posting. I was leaning on a Corsa system but after hearing a few, I think it sounds like either an open header six, or WWI bi-plane...I bring these up not as "put down", I just can't think of anything else that sounds like that. It's definitely a unique sound. I'm not really complaining, I just thought it might sound different. In deciding whether or not to modify the exhaust, I just have to accept that fact. I guess if that's how its supposed to sound, the question I have to ask myself is whether I really want to amplify that sound or leave it stock.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nate, you are correct.

Vipers can be made to sound badass. The cheapest route is rear muffler delete. Everyone that doesn't go with a complete system should remove the rear muffler. It's just a little bit louder but the rumble is much better.

I have a 3 inch catless, stock header exhaust. Not sure what make/model mufflers it has but the system is from a tuner who's name I can't mention on this forum. I must say it absolutly sounds badass.

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm kinda in the same boat as you. If we end up getting the Viper over the 996. A big thing for me when driving is the engine sound which the 996 has in spades, and honestly after going to different meets and hearing clips on this site, I still don't like the sound as it reminds me of a big block 5 ******.

So far the most aggressive sound I've heard was from my friends 00' ACR with the rear muffler deletes and cats removed with just straight pipes and the stock headers (had an h-pipe welded in their at one point). Sounds more like a muscle car then any other setup I've heard. And if we end up getting the Viper this is the setup we'll be going with.

I don't know much about V10's, but how come Dodge decided to use an even bank firing order for the Viper? I would think Dodge would have at least tried different setups like an uneven firing order akin to a V8 to at least get a badass sound from the Vipers engine. I've heard Ford's Trition V10 with both Flowmaster and Magnaflow setups on the Excursion and that engine sounded way meaner then the Viper so I'm guessing that Ford didn't use an even bank firing order on the V10 Triton.

One more question, I just heard the new SRT-10, and it really sounded awsome, better the the Gen 1 and 2 Vipers. It had a very throaty sound. Is this b/c the pipes crossed over to each side like an x-pipe and the sound waves from each bank were able to mix with each other? I really like the low, rumble of the new engine.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car has no cats and no mufflers except for two Dynomax bullets. It sounds great at idle, and it's loud as hell when you hit the gas. It will never sound like a V-8, and I've come to grips with that. lol Oh well!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, I've always thought that the "He-Who-Cannot-Named-On-This-Board" setup on my 2000 sounded more like an old flat head Harley motor. Not that it would have been my first choice as it is blistering loud, but it is an incredibly seductive and addictive sound. Deep, purring, yet sharp and piercing all at once. I'm kind of glad Dodge designed it the way they did.

Lou

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno exactly where you're going with that Lou, but there could be variables between my 97 and your 00. Cam change for one. Maybe a different muffler by "the tuner with no name." In fact, who knows where our exhaust systems REALLY came from? LOL

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, LOL... No muffler, just an open resonator... I've had it apart. 1 3/4" headers, 3 1/2" tubing, some brand of high-flow cat, and 4" tips.

Where I was going is that I really enjoy the sound of our engines. It's unique and melodious in its own right. One more distiguishing trait between the Viper and a V8 product.

Lou

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard many Vipers at idle and with their engines revved, in person. Of these, only those with aftermarket exhaust setups sounded good. Of these, only those with aftermarket engine work sounded awesome. Of these, none of them sounded like a V8. The V10 engine of the Viper is not a V8. You cannot compare the two. It's like comparing the sound of a V12 Ferrari engine to a V8. They all have a different sound - V12, V10, V8. You have to come to appreciate the Viper sound for how it sounds.

You must be registered for see images

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add a X pipe at rear in place of any mufflers. I did alot of testing on and off, it definitely makes a difference for sound. What sounds good to one set of ears may not sound good to anothers. Forget about a true V8 sound , not happening. The only Viper thats going to sound like a V8 and look like a Viper is one of those replica's.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since no one has mentioned this exhaust, I'll put it in here. I have ridden in (about 20 times), driven (twice) and heard 3 dyno pulls of a 2000 GTS with Snake-Oyl's cat back exhaust. I'd say that this is the closest to a SVT Cobra's (non supercharged) V8. It has more burble at idle, downshifts, and letting off the gas, and is a tad louder than a Stang's. I'd say this is the best setup for a mild sound (unlike Belanger wild sounding headers and exhaust, which is also great exhaust). This is the exhaust, IMO, that Dodge should have made for the Viper if they could. It just puts the Viper's sound in with the classics. This exhaust with K&N drop ins and smooth tubes will put you at or around 500 HP.
Snake Oyl's home page Looks like their site is down temporarily, try to check it later today or tomorrow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas