Congrats to PMUM (must read)

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mum is da word !!!

Those of us that have run with Paul, knew he had the talent, and the idea that luck got him from 22nd to 3rd is a little ludicrous, but it may have just been an inference that with a little on the sides of the McCanns and Woodhouse, it would have been 4 Vipers finishing in the top 10. Congrats to PVO for making a racecar at half the price of the other GT cars , with a sealed motor, and killer brakes. Mumford will surprise again in California, and hopefully Jim, Mike and Bob will be back on the track in the near future. It goes to show that the tight competition in the Viper Racing League ( Viper Days ) , has been a strong proving ground for some drivers that will no longer be able to be viewed as unknowns.

Paul, you have done us all proud, and thanks for the thrill ride!!

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the encouragement I've received from everybody. I actually didn't get to see much of the crash, but knew it would happen as I had just made the pass into 3rd just before it all went down. I saw that McClure wasn't getting out of the gas and knew it would end ugly. I just got to see a ton of parts flying in my mirror. I didn't know who had hit whom, but was actually disappointed because I didn't want another yellow because I was pretty confident I'd be able to pass Galati (did it before the first yellow, but kept missing 3rd gear with all of the excitement).

I was pretty excited about being in 3rd until I came back around and saw that both of the McCann cars and Woodhouse's car were totally smashed up out of the 5 cars involved. It put a huge damper on the whole race because they were running great and there was literally nothing they could've done to avoid McClure's overexuberance. If McClure hadn't made that move, there would've been 4 Comp Coupes in the top 10 which is pretty impressive. Luckily everybody was fine (McClure went to hospital but only had a concussion), it's a shame that out of the 6 Comp Coupes that showed up 4 of them went home half destroyed. Hopefully, Dodge will do the right thing and help them put their cars back together at a reasonable cost after they showed everybody just how formidable the Comp Coupe is. Keep in mind, the Comp Coupe you buy straight from Dodge can put up a quicker lap time the day you buy it than a World Challenge spec Comp Coupe can. Anybody on the fence should get in before the multi-million dollar teams realize they only need to spend $130K.

Oh yeah, and a couple of people were speculating where I came up with #23. No, it wasn't influenced by Michael Jordan...after some guy apparently jacked my #27 earlier in the season, I had to lay props to my racing legend....Johnny Yuma!!!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
PMUM,
VERY IMPRESSIVE! I look forward to seeing you and the other CC drivers mentioned racing on SPEED! It's about time I (we) got to watch some VIPERS instead of audis, bimmers, porsches and vetts. I hope they don't "equalize" the CCs to the point that they can't win. SPEED seems to favor the european makes for some reason...probably the advertising revenues. DC should ante up some $s and support you guys! Good luck the rest of the season to all the CC racers. PMUM again OUTSTANDING! :D

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it looked like he freaked out, like a total newbie, and just zigged right back accross the track. If you go off track, you don't make sudden direction changes, 'cause it don't respond well on grass or dirt. So his best course of action would have been to slow down gradually, and gradually point it back to the track.

But when you look at the video, it looks like he is "gunning" it, not slowing down much, even after leaving the track, and "violently" trying to steer it back towards the track? I'd like to say that if it was me who went off track, I would gently brake and slow down in a straight line, and slowly veer back towards the track. I hope PMUM remembers how I did just that, when we went off Turn 1 at WSIR. I didn't freak out, but slowly got it back on track, under control.

I hope I am not being super-critical, because there may be factors I am not aware of.

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is exactly why my insurance company tells me they won't cover my car at any form of driving event. One newbie screw-up and it can be all over.

When I asked about the percentage of Viper accidents on the track vs. the road their response was that they don't keep statistics of track related claims...

Being T-boned is a REGULAR occurance at the freeway offramp near my work... I don't see my insurance company telling people they can't drive there!

Best wishes for recovery of the fellows in this mishap.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is exactly why my insurance company tells me they won't cover my car at any form of driving event. One newbie screw-up and it can be all over.

I gotta correct you JDR. The events PMUM runs are competitive $$$ events. However events like ViperDays, SAFE Motorsports and the like, are mearly open track day events where you can drive fast legally and safely. The more track events I participate in the more I realize how much safer they are than every day driving on any public road.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After re-reading your post JDR I see that it is a slam against the insurance companies. My appologies if I sounded like I was too preachy.

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck -
Yeah, I could see how it looks like I called pro a newbie... sorry about that. I should have taken a little more time to clearify that I was worried about what would happen with newbies, when six cars rack it up who know what they are doing!

YES, it's a slam against my insurance company, their policy could be "interpreted" that ViperDays might not be covered.

My call to them was that I just wanted to run in a 1/4 mile drag, and they said "racing" included ANY event in which your driving performace was monitored for TIME, SPEED, or performance LIMITS, whether it be against someone else, or just by yourself.

I'm suprised they don't exclude coverage on Driver's Ed or Driving tests by the DMV!

But get this... if I use a www.gtechpro.com on the street and clip something, I'm covered, go figure! The street is the stupidest place to jack your gas pedal. Personally, I think it's just a scare tatic and a good lawyer to state the "race" in my policy only covers true competative events, and not "driving schools" nor "grudge matches".

Anyhow, thanks for catching me.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get Speed Channel (When its not running SnoreCar aka NASCAR) HEY MAKE A RIGHT Once In a WHILE!! and live here in the Midwest so I need the time and date as I see the East/West coast times posted above. I must have watched that video repeatedly and still cant figure out that corvette driver. That was a MESS!! He re=entered perpendicularily! not at a 30' degree or gradual merge but rather RIGHT IN FRONT OF WOODHOUSE! OUCH!

Regardless,

Paul Great Job and Thanx for winning one for the VIPER Team!!

Jay K.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Fitzgerald Chronicles: Road America - [World Challenge GT]

8/5/2003 -

Last weekend the Speed World Challenge GT series traveled to Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. We were one of the support races for the Champ Car event. As usual, I was driving the #22 Porsche for 3R Racing. This was a split weekend for World Challenge, meaning that the Touring Car series was not in attendance, so I had only one car to worry about.

PRACTICE AND QUALIFYING

We had a test day on Thursday that included four sessions that were a minimum of thirty minutes each. We had made a change to our baseline set-up immediately after the race last weekend at Infineon Raceway, and it seemed like a good change because the Porsche was terrific right off the trailer.

The downside is that I was having a hard time finding anything to communicate to my engineer that might help us find an improvement in lap time. The good news was that we seemed to be running reasonably quick times relative to the other cars we were timing.

On Friday we had a single hour long practice session. I went out and did a long run on old tires and then we put on some stickers and did a practice qualifying run. I managed to post a 2:18.8, which was quickest by about seven tenths of a second. Second position was Randy Pobst in the Champion Audi. Normally this would be great news, but we knew that some of the cars were going slower than they had on the test day so we had a sense that they were holding back.

Saturday included a forty-five minute practice session and qualifying. We were again quickest with another 2:18.8, but this time a Viper was second quick with a lap somewhere in the 2:19’s. This was pretty scary because it was Dodge’s debut run of the new version of the Viper and it is obviously a pretty strong package right out of the box.

In spite of being quickest in both practice sessions we weren’t too optimistic going into qualifying because we felt like we had already shown our best lap. Qualifying was at 1:00pm and there was a rain shower that started around noon and then stopped in time for the track to start drying. For the most part there was a dry line when we went out on course, but there were still a few treacherous spots where the track was still wet.

In hindsight, the best strategy would have been to do a few reconnaissance laps on rain tires and then come in and switch to dry tires and cut a fast lap at the end of the session. The risk would be that someone would end up in the gravel trap and the session would end early, or that it would start raining again and the fast laps would all come early in the session.

I decided to go out and circulate on dry tires and then go for a fast lap as the track improved. Obviously, I wouldn’t cut my fast lap when the tires were at their best, but at least I would always have recorded a lap in the best conditions if there was an accident that ended the session or some more rain.

The result was that I cut my fast lap near the end of the session and it was a 2:19.2, which was slower than my practice times, but still good enough for fifth. I think that even if I had caught the tires at their best I still would have turned a high 2:18, which would have been either second or third. Bill Auberlen turned a 2:18.4 in his BMW to get the pole, followed by Stuck (BMW), Pobst (Audi) and Said (BMW).

THE RACE

The race started at 11:20am on Sunday, and as the race approached it looked like the weather might actually hold up in spite of most of the predictions. My standing start last weekend at Infineon Raceway was a complete disaster so we had spent a fair amount of time during the weekend trying to figure out how to get a decent launch. Our efforts paid off as my standing start was a good one and we immediately moved up into third place entering turn one. I was now following Hans Stuck in his BMW and Randy Pobst in the Champion Audi.

At some point during the opening laps I moved past Hans into second although I don’t remember where. It then took me a lap or two to catch up to Randy and I worked on him pretty hard because the three PTG BMWs were all tailing me very closely and I wanted to get to the front where I could get some clean track and try and open a gap.

Unfortunately, Randy was very difficult to pass as usual. I couldn’t get next to him in any of the brake zones because the Audi makes good power, but I could catch up to him in the long right hand carousel because of the Porsche’s excellent handling. The problem was that the carousel was followed by the turn known as the kink, which has a minimum speed of well over 100 mph and is not generally known as a great place to pass.

About six laps into the race I could tell that Randy’s Audi was getting to be a handful and he got a little bit sideways exiting the carousel, which was my opportunity. I almost pulled up next to him at the exit of the corner, but I didn’t quite make it and he started to move over. I stayed in the gas and moved right as far as I could until I was out of asphalt and Randy left me a little room heading into the kink. I dove inside as we entered the corner and changed down to fourth gear, as all this activity had killed my momentum, and managed to slip through before heading down the long straight to Canada corner.

I thought that the pass would really work to my advantage because I expected Randy to shut the door on the parade of BMWs behind him, which might have given me a chance to break away from the field. Much to my disappointment, Bill Auberlen also managed to slip by into second position. Randy held off the charge of the other two BMWs and it turned into a two car race for the lead. I had about a 1.5 second gap back to Auberlen for much of the rest of the race, which didn’t seem to change much from lap to lap, save for traffic situations.

Finally, with about five or six laps remaining there was a bad crash on the straight heading down toward turn five. My former teammate Michael Culver’s car was badly damaged and sitting in the middle of the straightaway. Fortunately, Michael was okay, but it took a few laps to clear the car from the track.

When we went back to green flag racing there were three laps to go, but on the second lap there was a horrendous crash at the bridge at the entry to the carousel. I don’t know exactly what happen because it all occurred behind me, but when I came back around under full course caution there were five crashed cars either in the road or just off to the side, include the Corvette of my teammate Phil McClure. Apparently, Phil took a pretty hard hit (I suspect into the bridge abutment) because I could see them cutting him out of the Corvette. He was taken to the hospital and the last I heard he had a concussion, but no other injuries. I ended up completing the last lap and a half behind the pace car and taking the checkered flag under full course caution for the win.

The accident was doubly unfortunate because Phil had worked his way into second position, which would have been a terrific result for the 3R Racing team. My other teammates Victor Contreras and Tim Wiens finished fifth and eighth, respectively. In spite of the good result it was kind of a somber victory celebration while we awaited news of Phil’s condition. I’m just glad that he’ll be okay.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More info :

The Preferred Line - World Challenge Wednesday

8/6/2003 - The Preferred Line - Road racing news and commentary
SPEED World Challenge Wednesday (August 6, 2003) By Jim Bourn
”I might as well be in good spirits. It doesn’t pay to be in bad spirits!” - Phil McClure

Fitzgerald wins survival test at Road America in SPEED WCGT

The 3R Racing Team has what would be considered the best and possibly the worst of weekends at Road America as Mike Fitzgerald took the #22 3R Racing/1st Interstate Inns Porsche to the front early and held off every challenge to win a race that saw several of the top cars and drivers come to grief. Fitzgerald got past race leader Randy Pobst (Champion Audi RS6) early and later held off bids from Bill Auberlen in the PTG BMW M3 to idle home behind the pace car to win his 2nd race of the 2003 SPEED World Challenge campaign.

Checkout Mike’s comments on the weekend at Road America on TheRaceSite.com in his latest rendition of The Fitzgerald Chronicles at THIS LOCATION.

Not the least of cars coming to grief was Mike’s 3R Racing teammate Phil McClure who went off track while racing with Michael Galati in the Champion Audi RS6 and slid back onto the track in front of a group of WCGT competitors and when the smoke, dust and fiberglass settled Phil was headed for a brief stay in the local hospital and his Aggregate Industries /3R Racing Corvette was heavily damaged.

The subsequent melee took out several top ten cars, shuffled the finishing order and caused the last few laps of the race to be run under caution. Along with McClure the McCann Plastics Dodge Vipers of Jim McCann and Michael McCann, the PTG BMW of Hans Stuck and the woodhouse.com Viper of Bob Woodhouse were all damaged in the crash.

The race started pretty much true to form as almost everyone got through the first turn clean with Randy Pobst getting his usual rocket start to lead lap one with Stuck and Fitzgerald closely behind. Everyone that is but Jon Groom who snapped a half-shaft on the start in his AXA Porsche 911 and coasted to a stop in turn five.

On lap six with #2 Audi leading with Fitzgerald and the PTG squad of Auberlen, Stuck and Boris Said in very tight formation behind Pobst. Fitzgerald slipped past Pobst in the Kink to claim the lead for good as Auberlen used the opportunity to come along side of Pobst. By the time the lead group had gone through Canada corner the PTG M3s of Auberlen and Stuck also snuck past moving Pobst to 4th.

Randy would get back past Hans a lap later but his day would go totally south on lap 12 as he slid into the gravel at turn 12 and his day would get even worse as after he finally got back to the hard surface he had to pit to repair a broken tie rod end and also had to stop at the end of the pit road to get the hood properly attached to the car. All of this dropped Randy back three laps to 22nd position.

Boris Said had, the lap previous gone to the beach and had fallen back to 21st position seemingly with zero hope of getting back to the top 5 or even the top 10. That would all change in a hurry as Boris would sail through the mess and come home where he had started the race in fourth position.

OUCH!

The race started to unravel when Randy Pobst was off in 12 Michael Culver who was having a great run and had gotten his First Racing Porsche well into the top ten reportedly had contact with 3R Racing Porsche of Victor Contreras and crashed in turn 5. This brought out the pace car.

The top ten race order was Fitzgerald, Auberlen, Stuck, McClure, Michael McCann’s Viper, Galati, Paul Mumford in the Magellan Financial Dodge Viper, Contreras, Jim McCann, and Jimmy Adams in the Motor coach/AMADAS Porsche. Boris Said was languishing back in 15th happy to have the field bunched back up behind the pace car.

Things went all bad as the course went green again and the 3rd through 12th place group got to turn eight.

“Michael (Galati) had gotten inside of me and I tried to hang in there on the outside to be on the inside of him into the carousel,” McClure recalled about the crash. “The car was pretty pushy at the end of that caution and I just pushed off the track and then slid back in front of everyone!”

Phil bristled a bit about the comments made that he could have avoided coming back by trying to save the car and get back on the track without loosing position.

“Believe me, the last thing I wanted to do was come sliding out onto the track in front of everyone,” McClure said. “I would have been very happy to have been able to just let everyone go on by!”

Anyone who has gone off track at those kinds of speeds knows that quite often your left-hand drive car becomes right-hand drive and the driver becomes more of a passenger and the last thing any driver wants is to be sliding back onto the track perpendicular to the race traffic.

But mostly these drivers are competitors first and will try to get back to the competition as soon as possible. As David Farmer put it so succinctly on the SCCA Pro Racing BB, “Any Pro driver would have done what Phil did. You must also realize that every one of us saw Phil off the track, and CHOSE to drive through. I saw the dust as soon as I got to turn 8, but decided to take my chances!”

What happened to Bill Auberlen? He was black flagged for moving out of line on the single file restart and had to do a stop and go penalty towards the end of the race and dropped back to finish 9th.

Some drivers had good runs at Road America.

It was good to see Michael Galati have a good run in the Champion Audi as he survived an off and on in turn one on lap nine to finish 2nd as Michael seemed to have suitably saved his equipment and was running very well at the end of the race.

Even though Paul Mumford did benefit greatly from McClure’s crash he had come all the way up from his 22nd starting position to claim the final podium position and won the Sunoco Hard Charger award in the process. Mumford was already into 6th position before the crash and had recorded some very competitive lap times in the process.

The Vipers all seemed to like the Road America layout as both of the McCann Vipers and Woodhouse all ran competitively all day. All three of them were unfortunate to have been in the wrong place at the right time as none would finish the race.

Road America, the aftermath

First of all Phil McClure wanted everyone to know that he is back at home and feeling fine but his #73 Corvette is not so fine. The car has just recently gotten back to the shop and the team is tearing into the car to check how bad the damage is.

“Phil is A-OK,” reported 3-R Racing crew chief Bob Raub. He’s a little sore and had a concussion, but we here at the shop are very happy with how well the car took the impacts and protected Phil! He is very dear to us!”

“The General Motors safety engineer estimated the impact on the right rear to be 25 g’s,” Raub continued. “That makes Phil’s weight in the seat to be about 7500 lbs. His head was slammed backwards and hit the cross over bar in the roll hoop. I think one of those wrap-around seats may have help, but they are very restrictive, maybe we’ll go to a right side net like as used in NASCAR.”

McClure indicated that fans may well not see that car again saying that is more than likely that the 3-R Racing team will salvage what useable parts they can find on the car and start building a new car that is expected to be delivered to the shop soon. The red, white and blue #73 was pretty badly bent and was getting a bit long in the tooth anyway.

“I haven’t gotten a good handle on how badly hurt the car is as yet,” Phil said. “Bob (Raub) has some extra people in to work on the car and we expect to be ready for Laguna Seca. I hope to continue to be around (in the championship points chase) at the end (of the season)!”

“The car is for all practical thoughts totaled,” commented Bob Raub. “The 3R guys have pulled off some miracles this year running 4 cars and fixing 3 wrecks this year. We are going to give Phil all we have to get him to Laguna, but we’ll know more in the next 2 weeks!”

As far as the competition goes the BMWs seemed to handle the long Elkhart straights just fine and the Champion Audis continue to improve even though Randy Pobst doesn’t have the results to show for that. Maybe Michael Galati can finally tart to breath again as he seems to have, at least for the present, lost the gremlins that have plagued the #1 car for most of the season.

Mike Fitzgerald seemed to be the class of the field on this day but the Porsches weren’t necessarily dominant. The Corvettes on the other hand weren’t as competitive as expected on this track as only McClure was able to even compete for the top ten as the other Corvettes were well back in the pack.

Thomas Oates (Tiger Racing/Oates Chevrolet Corvette) did have a good finish due to the late race confusion as he escaped the carnage to finish 6th but Oates, David Farmer (Metric Chemical/Polk Audio Corvette) and Jim Rathmann (Rathmann Chevrolet Corvette) weren’t able to crack the top ten on speed alone while the Vipers were definitely faster.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Congrats to ALL the drivers! I'm sure the world will be talkin' about this race!

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad the comp coupe isnt available as a street car like all the other rides in the W/C.

Also you can hardly compare W/C to a track event or drivers ed!!! this is perhaps the most competitive venue in all of motorsports.The smaller engined Touting division is even wilder with almost twice as many cars in the field. With many factory backed teams it like the old trans am days of the 60's. If you have not watched a speed world challange event, you dont know what you are missing.

Congrats to everyone for a fine job. I wish you guys were at the road atlanta race!

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know what I'm missing, I've seen them before and loved them. I need to convince my parents to get Speed. Too bad it's not Speedvision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi