Considering a Gen 1: What to watch out for?

pjr300

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi VCA.... this is my first post, as I am looking to buy a Gen 1 Viper. I have always liked the raw and aggressive stance of these Gen 1 cars since they first appeared... and hopefully I'll have a chance to own one.

As I look at these fine machines, are there specific items I should watch for? Things I know of are:

• Head gasket: I've read reference to this being a common problem (and an expensive repair). any tell-tale signs on if it is going, or thinks to indicate if it has been repaired?
  • Common problems: Are there others that I should watch for?
  • Tires: pretty straight forward, but obviously an expensive outlay if they have to be replaced right away.
  • Real windows and A/C: none until Gen 2 (1998, correct)?

Thanks from a newbie!

racerjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 94 gen 1 has A/C but no real windows.

Tires are important but not overly expensive (around $1000-1200) for a set. Check the born on date on the tires on the car. Mine came with 07 tires which are good.
I picked it up for 25K with a hardtop and 50K miles.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The heat shields hide the head gasket, so you either have to remove them or put it up on a lift to see if it is the original head gasket material. Probably not the best description, but it would look like brown parchment paper if it is original.

It would be worthwhile to have someone check it out, preferably a ViperTech or someone knowledgeable from this forum. Run the VIN. CarFax and Autocheck are pretty useless on cars of this age, so just because it has a clear carfax or other doesn't mean the car hasn't been in an accident.

As racerjim said, tires aren't that expensive for the Gen 1 ..... $1000, of course you can spend more if you want to

If possible, try to find one with an a hardtop and windows ... that can add a few thousand to the expense.

You will probably have to have all your fluids changed .....

A brake upgrade would be good ... Tom's 40mm brakes or other.

These cars are pretty straightforward .... not a whole lot to go wrong

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No "real" roll up windows until 1997, but then it's not a Gen1 anyhow. A/C from the factory available since 1994.

I won't repeat what others have written...all good advice. I would add to check the hood if it's an early (mid 1994 and older) for filler cracking issues. These often resemble little razor cuts. Also, check to see if the 998 and/or 999 recalls are completed. These are for steering and rear reinforcements. If the front one is done wrong, it's a problem removing the oil filter.

I too like the early RTs....good luck in your search.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think those recalls were for the Gen 2, not Gen 1. Gen 1 frame was pretty solid.

Being in the additives business, I'll suggest the "head gasket" issue was really a "poor quality anti-freeze" issue and you should put (any) long life coolant in there ASAP. Any coolant leaks will be visible on the outside of the block when looking from underneath.

A 1992-1995 car of any kind will have lots of small age issues - old rubber broken transmission mounts, leaky rear window gasket, clearcoat on the paint starting to lift, yellow headlights and yellowed side curtains. I'd be happy buying new tires for $1000, but unhappy with buying two headlights at $1000 each.

OP
OP
P

pjr300

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headlights for $1000!!! Really? Freaking Ouch!! These RX-7 parts that I buy these days are cheap in comparison.

Prices for cars seem all over the board. A lot of listings at $28k, but nothing sells at that price (ebay or C's list). Cars that seem to sell are listed at more real-worl prices of $25k.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Filler? For fuel?

The Viper hoods are 2 pieces that are sandwiched together with a glue in the middle. Sometimes there are voids inbetween the 2 pieces which causes hairline cracks in the hood. Not much you can do about it ... it either happens or it doesn't. It is mostly a cosmetic flaw and one that only other Gen 1 Viper owners would be able to spot. The most common location for this to occur is a couple inches from the headlight towards the center of the hood.

I believe that most Gen 1s are selling between $24k and $28k, some are more, some are less....unless you can find one that you like local, factor in shipping of the car also (closed carrier please).

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stand corrected...sort of. I have a 96 RT, which is not really a Gen 1 or a Gen 2. The 998 recall does indeed include the 1996 RT and that was what I was thinking about when I posted. Sorry for the confusion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4