Considering SRT-10

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need some opinions. I am conisidering buying an SRT (and selling my 1996 RT).... I am looking at a 2004 SRT-10... anything I should look out for on the 2004... is another year particularly better?

Thank you in advance,
Lance

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
good luck, I'm anxious to hear your feedback but expect you'll be happy with the switch. Sorry, but I haven't owned an '04 to assist w/ your question.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lance,

I was in the same boat before the Street Serpent Project. The project gave me an excuse to get an 04 and compare against my gen 1. The bottom line is, it's a very tough call. The old one has a raw appeal that the new one does not have, and I'll miss that. However, when I'm faced with a choicec of which to go drive, I alway want the 04. It's a better car (the brakes continue to amaze me).

Styling and beauty is tough for me as well. Can't decide. Good luck. No matter what you decide you can't lose.

Jeff

P1010028.JPG

1186P1010052.JPG

1186P1010035.JPG

OP
OP
M

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I daily drive the 1996 now.... and was thinking the SRT-10 would be a better "daily driver... but I am having a hard time giving up the 1996.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were some upgrades in 2005; buy the latest you can afford. Have you driven one yet? A drive may make it easier for you to give up your 96 if you can't afford to keep both! If you want a long drive, come to Vegas and rent one for a day.

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loved my 94 RT10 but I REALLY LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE my 06 SRT10. I thought that it would be tough to give up the Gen 1 car but after driving the Gen 3 it was no problem. :2tu: Some people on here think the gen3 does not have as aggressive a look as the gen 1 but after really looking at the gen 3 I think it is just as aggressive. Maybe it is just something you have to determine after you own one. :cool:
Good Luck with your decision. The most important thing is having a Viper any Viper. :D

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a 2000 steel gray GTS for sale yesterday and it brought back fond memories but, I couldn't go back. The power and driving pleasure of the SRT/10 surpasses the looks of my old GTS.

You won't regret it. IMO

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The brakes are fantastic (got them on my Gen2)
Just need to loose the multispoke wheels and it makes a huge differance...
Drove an 03 SRT-10 (Black top Gear car) great car but thought you had to push it that little harder to get anything out of it....

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is a great thread. As one of the few / proud VCA members who loved the SRT from the get-go, I am pleased to read this stuff. I remember in 2002 when the SRT was the devil in diapers and we were ostracized for defending it.

Happy that so many other long time Viper owners are seeing this car for what it is, absolutely fantastic. JMHO.

/rant over

TRAMP 13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had a 99 rt,got a 03 with my certificate and have never even thought about my rt especially with the ease about the top folding down .The rt was a pain.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a new 2003 and have never looked back. It was made on 06/11/2003 and was car number 1268 of that year. You can not beat the 7/70 warranty though I have only used it once for the headlight recall. The dealer service was 100% on this recall, even allowing me to be next to the car in the shop bay while they performed the reflash to the body control module. I have driven all the different year vipers and still like my 2003 the best. When it was in stock tune it felt as if it had more power than the other year vipers. It also rode stiffer, handled better, and appeared to sit lower. The 2004 and up vipers seem to be sprung softer. My customers have told me the same after test driving my viper. I have also noticed that the fit and finish is better on my 2003 than the later vipers. I do not know why except perhaps the increase in production has caused some differences.

Robbie
AtRo Racing Products
VCA Sponsor

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best thing about the newer SRT over the old RT (I had a 99) besides the increase in horsepower to 500 is the fact you can take your roof with you.

I used to hate that about my 99, you either had to plan driving it around sunny weather and hope you didnt get caught in the rain or put the lid on it and miss out on the fact you actually own a convertible.

Oh yeah, I can put my clubs in the truck of the 05, something I couldnt do with the 99 :2tu:

PM Sent!

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had 2 Gen Is, a Gen II and a Gen III (all verts), which just got wrecked...another Gen III is in my future. Each one has its pros & cons but it is hard to argue with the latest technology. My Uncle on the otherhand is a purist and still has the '95 he bought new; he'd never consider a Gen III. One thing I can say is that kids used to run up to me in the Gen Is and II, shoot, wave, etc., same with old people, cops, etc. - I rarely get that in the Gen III...guess it blends in more than the older ones.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang