Coolant temperature sending unit or gauge help please

112motorsports

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the other day I went for a drive to go out to eat with my wife, as we turned the corner the temperature gauge shot up to 250 without warning etc. I immediately stopped the car opened the hood checked the radiator bottle it was still full, there wasn't any signs of over heating. Steam smell etc. So I had the car towed as I was being cautious. After eating and waiting on the wrecker the gauge was still pined at 250, this was 2 hours after I shut it down, then after an hour long tow it was still at 250. The next morning I went to start the car and the gauge immediately went to 250 again. So this leads me to believe it is either the sending unit or the gauge itself. Has anyone ever had this happen? Also where is the sending unit so I can test it? Thank you for all of your help and time. The car is a 1997 GTS. Thanks again.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the other day I went for a drive to go out to eat with my wife, as we turned the corner the temperature gauge shot up to 250 without warning etc. I immediately stopped the car opened the hood checked the radiator bottle it was still full, there wasn't any signs of over heating. Steam smell etc. So I had the car towed as I was being cautious. After eating and waiting on the wrecker the gauge was still pined at 250, this was 2 hours after I shut it down, then after an hour long tow it was still at 250. The next morning I went to start the car and the gauge immediately went to 250 again. So this leads me to believe it is either the sending unit or the gauge itself. Has anyone ever had this happen? Also where is the sending unit so I can test it? Thank you for all of your help and time. The car is a 1997 GTS. Thanks again.

I'm asking the same question about the oil pressure gauge. You can do a gauge diagnostic on the Gen 3's but don't know if you can on the 2's.

OP
OP

112motorsports

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AZTVR,
Thank you very much for the link. I searched and I didn't see it. I appreciate it bud. Have a good one.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AZTVR,
Thank you very much for the link. I searched and I didn't see it. I appreciate it bud. Have a good one.

You're welcome. It just happens that I remembered that thread. Also, Google works much better for me to search this site with than the search engine included in the forum software.

Good luck, and be careful if you have to replace the sensor. I'd try soaking it in penetrating oil first. There is a guy that posted yesterday that he has snapped off the top part of the sensor body while trying to remove it, and that is not unheard of. (also, maybe try lightly tapping it when removing it to help break the bond between the brass and the aluminum that can occur over 14 years.)

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happened to me on my GTS. Its a common repair and a simple one at that. I did it myself. Prob took 1/2 hour. Only problem was it happened to me on the highway in the middle of no where. Diagnosed quickly that the car was fine and was cooling properly. Drove it the rest of the weekend and repaired it when I got home. The sending unit took a while to get here as the local Dodge dealer didnt stock them. They are not a common sending unit.​

B235R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
seems that alot of the sensors went faulty right now,try like AZTVR said with soaking it in penetrating oil first or you maybe crack the top off as i did yesterday on mine :)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, be aware that the original sensor and the replacement may be of different socket sizes. The replacement was bigger; the bigger socket on the smaller original wasn't "catching" until I angled the socket (OK, on a Gen 1 you can't see it under the cowl) and that's how I broke it. But with the right socket size it comes out fine!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang