corsa exhaust adjustment!!!!

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well finally got my 3 inch RT high flows and 3 inch corsa track exhaust on and with the help of this board I think I got my tips aligned correctly, but needed a second opinion before I tack weld them in for good. TIA

P10100082.JPG

P1010007.JPG

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That doesn't look too bad, you might find that they are very close to the back of the opening when they are hot. Have you put them thru a heating and cooling cycle yet

OP
OP
T

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That doesn't look too bad, you might find that they are very close to the back of the opening when they are hot. Have you put them thru a heating and cooling cycle yet

no not yet, I wanted to weld in place before test driveing.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You took the pics at an angle so it's a kind of tough to see, but that looks pretty good. They might be a little close to the back as they get hot like Pa said. I set mine so they touch the front when cold and they end up past the middle when they are hot.

How far out do the tips protrude? They shouldn't be flush they need to stick out a little.

OP
OP
T

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You took the pics at an angle so it's a kind of tough to see, but that looks pretty good. They might be a little close to the back as they get hot like Pa said. I set mine so they touch the front when cold and they end up past the middle when they are hot.

How far out do the tips protrude? They shouldn't be flush they need to stick out a little.

I damn neer touches the front the way it is, I can barely slide a piece of paper between the sill and exhaust, the corsa's due protude out a little, here are some better pics!!!!
P10100091.JPG

P1010011.JPG

P1010010.JPG

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, that looks perfect. Good job. You may want to do a test run before welding them...but if it were me, I'd just tack them and be done.

OP
OP
T

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, that looks perfect. Good job. You may want to do a test run before welding them...but if it were me, I'd just tack them and be done.

Yup I was gonna put a 1/2 weld and call it good, thanks for your help :2tu:

OP
OP
T

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OH ya I forgot to ask, when you guys and gals tack welded your exhaust's did you disconnect the battery? I was planning on clamping my ground to the exhaust? TIA

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, I would wrap a long bar with rags shove it in the pipe and tweak it. Been there done that.!! :headbang:

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were me I would see where they go when hot before tacking. I had the Mopar Street Exhaust installed a couple weeks ago (minus 1 pair of cats) and they move quite a bit from hot to cold. We actaully had to adjust them after the initial install since they were touching. And I've heard that the Corsa move even more.

By the way, any harm in having the tips touch a bit?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks real good. Thats about where mine are, they almost touch up front. When they get hot and move,I still have a bit of room in the back. You just dont want them going all the way back or you will burn the sill if they touch when hot and driving around.
Just be carefull when test driving as they could slightly move if you dont have them tight. I would just tack weld and go. Good luck and have fun.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Iagree with Viper Bob. I would even put them through some heat cycles before tacking. This way they break in also. They do look a bit low to me and possibly too far out. Mine are flush. No matter what you do the first few months they are going to move and need adjustment. I am on my third adjustment and think we finally got it right. In fact the second time i had them adjusted and spot welded, they broke the welds after a month or so. Chuck T bascially had to tack them in 5 or 6 spots to stay.

Here is a pick of mine. Not the best but you get the placement...

9384DSC03992.JPG

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can have them flush, but if they break loose and move back they could go past the opening and melt your paint. Plus you can't see as much of those nice $1400.00 tips if they are inside the sill. In the end, it comes down to what you like.

If it turns out they are on the low side, all he has to do is loosen up the two half inch bolts behind the tips and bump them up....the sill doesn't even have to come off for that.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like SMOQ said, I like them out a bit too. Its nice seeing that tip. Mine are probably out about a 1/4 out of the sill. Plus I didnt want to chance them heating up the sill if they werent out enough.
We only welded once and they have never broke loose or moved. And I drive like an A$$.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great Twin.

I have corsa track with stock cats but sills still gets real hot at idle and when car is turned off for a few minutes. I am interested in high flows ,but first I want to get info on exhaust tone ,the cooling down of sills and the loudness.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah mined burned a bit but wasnt from being in to far. They moved on me and didnt notice until too late. Simple flat black barbecue paint is the fix but just havent got around to do it yet.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks great Twin.

I have corsa track with stock cats but sills still gets real hot at idle and when car is turned off for a few minutes. I am interested in high flows ,but first I want to get info on exhaust tone ,the cooling down of sills and the loudness.

Too me, it made a big difference in heat, when I removed the cats for RT cats.

OP
OP
T

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well I fired her up for the first time, and let me tell YA it sounds sick!!!! I am very happy with the sound for the RT high flows and corsa track. Thanks Jon B. Im going to let the pipes heat up for a few and see how the tips are and go from there. :) :):):):):)

OP
OP
T

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
has anybody dealt with the tips sticking out farther than the other? my passenger side sits flush and my drivers side stick's out a little. I had to grind the weld's off of the hanger and reweld so both sides were equal. What a PITA.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bent my hangers until the tips looked the same. Others have used washers. Bending is the best way I think. Just stuck a metal pipe on the hanger and pulled it out a little at a time.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you read the factory manual it says to unplug the CAB ( ABS brain) module before you weld. I have heard by a tech friend that they can burn out when you weld and are @ $550 to replace. It is located in the front driver side and accessed through the front wheel well. It only takes a few minutes to unplug and is cheap insurance.