Corvette Guy-A Poll Maybe

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went for a drive today. Yesterday in my storied cleaning frenzy I had to go to the auto parts store to get some things. While I was there I ordered a pair of K&Ns and was surprised to hear they already got them in today, so I went to pick them up. Anyway, the weather was beautiful but a storm was rolling in so I was in a bit of a hurry. As I'm heading down the road I see two Corvettes in a row heading towards me, both late models, but not the new ones, they had pop-up headlights. As the first guy sees me coming, he turns on the headlights and flashes his brights several times then gives me a big grinning wave as he passes. Second guy does the same. I wave back of course, then check for the local photo radar van just in case... not there.

Anyway, I've noticed that the Vipers, from the front at a distance through a fog on a poorly lit street with Mr Magoo glasses on bear a striking resemblance to the new Vettes, the ones with the non pop-up headlights. So here's my question... were these guys waving at someone else in a nice sports car or are they mistaking it for another Corvette, almost giving away the secret handshake at the next light?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like they genuinely liked the car. I have gotten that many times before. Just because they are Vette guys does not mean they hate the Viper. There are acutally some out there. I know, it is hard to believe but there are a few. :D

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have to realize that a good portion of Viper owners are previous Corvette owners. Most American Sports car owners will tip their hat to another American Sports car owner. I own a 81 Vette and now a 02 FE Viper. The Viper is definately a few steps up all the way around, but I still have tons of respect for the Vette!

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corvette owners often wave at one another. When out in mine (Corvette or Viper) I wave at other Corvettes as well as any other nice hotrods I see. Not just a corvette guy thing, a car guy thing.

Save the wave.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we all like to keep the Vette Viper thing going but like Zan said. A lot of Viper guys, myself included, had a Vette first. They are an amazing car for the price and they still turn my head every time I see one. I've had some wave back and some ignore me. All depends on the driver. I dont care what it is. I'm a car guy first, not a Viper guy, and if I see a nice car I make sure I wave or give a thumbs up. The only ones that I dont appreciate are the ricers. They spend a ton of money on them and the more they spend the uglier they get...lol.... :D

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be either. From the front, the Z06 looks a lot like a Viper. But, I have had a few Vette guys grin at my car and give me a thumbs up.

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will wave to anyone who has an obvious appreciation/love for car (always to a vett, if I see it ;-). there is only one time I wish I hadn't waved; A young driver was sticking his head out the window as I approached to say something, he yelled "Vipers are crap" But I had already saluted before he opened his uneducated mouth.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
some Vette guys wave and smile, and I return the favor. some do what I used to do when I was driving a Vette: stare for a second, then look away and try to pretend the VIPER isn't there...

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I give a wave, pretty hard IMO to mistake a Viper, but I can see it happening in a blur with the front of the C6 :D
I recently waved at a Gen II R/T, sitting at a stop light, that guy looked at me like I was an idiot
You must be registered for see images

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
" Not just a corvette guy thing, a car guy thing."

But it's a whole lot easier to wave when it's an automatic!
As well, if it were just a 'vette thing, those guys arms would wear out pretty quick. I've seen 3 Z06's today alone, and it's only noon here...

A car guy thing, for sure. I think enthusiasts of all types generaly acknowledge other like enthusiasts.

Last edited:

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will wave as long as the guys waves first,it sounds bad but I have waved at other Vette guys in the past and they act like they don't even see me...riiggghhhhttttt!!! LOL

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently waved at a Gen II R/T, sitting at a stop light, that guy looked at me like I was an idiot

that guy was an *******. I've got that from other car guys too. sometimes its fun to be nice to mean people, it seems to bother them.

nice looking Vette, by the way.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if i am out in my toy, i always wave at others who are out in their toys. doesnt matter if it is a vette or a tenage kid in a hot mustang. i appreciate them all. often times too when a hot car pulls up next to you at a stop light, a friendly wave and a smile will get them off your back and will let them know that you are only out for a "relaxing drive" today. ;)

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always been a vette guy and hope to be a Vette and Viper guy real soon (looking for a Graphite or Sapphire w/stripes). I always wave to all car guys including Vipers. As others have said I am more of a car guy and not just a vette guy and am interested in all cars.

OP
OP
F

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Along the same lines, I stopped at a convenience store one day and as I was walking into the store, a guy pulls up next to my car in a Corvette. Nice looking car, probably an 82, in pretty nice shape but not anything spectacular. When I came out of the store, the guy was standing at the side of my car checking it over very carefully, you know, looking at the interior through the open top but from about 3 feet away like he was afraid he might touch it. So as I walk out he looks at me and I tell him "Thats a beautiful car!" His eyes lit up and he tells me "Its no Viper" and goes on to start telling me about the car. I knew he was waiting for me to come out so he could check out my car and ask me about it but I think it really made his day that he got a compliment on his first. He was proud of the car and loved talking about it. He was real knowledgeable about both the Corvettes and Vipers and told me that his dream is to one day own a Viper. Nice guy and he went away pretty proud.

Some of my buddies own new Vettes and they always joke that they don't want me around because my car draws too much attention from theirs.

I'm still a big Corvette lover, I think they are an absolute American icon, every year in its own way, but I love my Viper for its unique individuality.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had 6 other vettes, my Z06 is definitely my favorite.

welll, ok I think my '72 stingray was my favorite. kinda

ok I love my GTS:)

THAT is the car that makes me go OHHHHHH yehhhhhhh

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Around here, other Vipers are very rare so I am glad to see any cool rides and wave.

I was driving in the Viper back to home and there was a new looking black Ferarri with people around it in a driveway. I wanted to stop and talk but thought it would have been awkward to intrude.

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I give a wave, pretty hard IMO to mistake a Viper, but I can see it happening in a blur with the front of the C6 :D

[/qSSSS

uote]

Scratch, that's a nice looking car:2tu:

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am totally on the different end, I bought my Viper first. I would like to have a Vett to go along with it some day.:headbang:

I will give a wave or a thumbs up to anybody that lookes interested, I love waving at the little kids that are staring at the car!

TheMeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if i am out in my toy, i always wave at others who are out in their toys. doesnt matter if it is a vette or a tenage kid in a hot mustang. i appreciate them all. often times too when a hot car pulls up next to you at a stop light, a friendly wave and a smile will get them off your back and will let them know that you are only out for a "relaxing drive" today. ;)

Ditto.:)

No problems in giving a friendly wave iin my book. The motorcycle guys do it religiously.

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And then there are these guys