Could not get into my 03 Viper, Anyone else ever experiance this

tomscorvette

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Disconnect the battery on my 03 convertible for the winter slumber and over the weekend wanted to take her out of the garage for the first time this year. I connected the battery and my key fab would not unlock the doors, nothing, dead to the world so I checked the battery voltage and it was at 13.2 volts. I also used the ignition key to access the driverside under mirror and nothing at all? everything dead and no signs of life, I was pissed. So I decided to open the trunk and remove all the rear convertible top flange nuts around 15 of them. I lifted the rear flange and supported it so I could unlatch the top. I used two golf clubs, one to depress the safety button and the other to unlatch the top. got in and put the key in the ignition and everything came back to life. What a pain in the butt! why didn't the outside key entry work. any Ideas?
Tom

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might have better luck if you post this question under the gen lll thread. Instead of gen l and ll. Are you sure you turned the key under the mirror hard enough they are not the easiest to turn because they are not electronic. You have to turn them hard enough to pop the latch. Sometimes I think the key will bend but never does. I think your crazy for removing the convertable top to get into the car but I guess if thats your only way. Do yourself a favor and try the key under the mirror again to get a feel of how hard you need to turn the key until the latch pops for the future if you may need it again. Good luck.

OP
OP
T

tomscorvette

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, I thought i turned hard enough but like you said, wow! any harder and I thought I would have broke off the key.